The German-English School Buildings
Erected as a school for children of German settlers, these historic buildings have served numerous educational and cultural purposes:
1858-German - English school founded by "The Lateiner", a group of German intellectuals.
1859 - Purchase of 60 varas on Alamo St. Cornerstone laid Nov. 10 for one - story limestone building on NE corner, dedicated to poet Friedrich von Schiller: Architect G. Friesleben, builder Johann H. Kampmann.
1860 - One-story building added on SE corner.
1869 - Two-story limestone building on NW corner dedicated to scientist Baron von Humbolt.
c.1873 - Two 2 - story brick buildings added to complete permanent structures on campus.
1897 - Property acquired by F.Groos & Mrs. Hulda Groos; half interest sold to G.W. Brackenridge.
1903 - Property conveyed to San Antonio Independent School District. Public schools on site:
1903 - 23 - George W. Brackenridge Grammar School.
1923 - 25 - Thomas Nelson Page Junior High School.
1925 - 51 - San Antonio Junior College established under supervision of University of Texas, providing affordable higher education during Great Depression. College moved to larger campus 1951.
1953 - Through preservation efforts of San Antonio Conservation Society, title transferred from SAISD to City of San Antonio for use as offices.
1964 - Buildings restored for headquarters of Hemisfair, San Antonio's 1968 World's Fair: Allison Peery, Architect.
1979 - Plaza Nacional Corp. leased site from city.
1982 - Restoration and landscaping of buildings and grounds supervised by Ford, Powell & Carson, architects, to create Plaza San Antonio Conference Center.
421 South Alamo Street, San Antonio, TX, United States