8936532022 3599f1fbd9 m
Elijah Yeoman (1849 - 1930) A notable photographer who worked from these premises, 13 Galgate, until his retirement in 1914, producing photographs which increased the fame of Teesdale's scenery in late Victorian times.

13 Galgate, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8936619696 7547475da5 m
Near here stood the boundary stone of the cattle market. Formerly held at the widest part of Galgate.

27 Galgate, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8936153117 bfcc364ba1 m
Former residence of surgeon Edward Nixon, surgeon for nearly 50 years to the Durham Militia (later 4th Durham Light Infantry). He first served in the Coldstream Guards under the Duke of Wellington in the Peninsular War.

1 King Street, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
2392511 3fb8d525 120x120
Abraham Hilton, native of this town, and a notable personality and benefactor of the poor, lived here until his death in 1902, aged 87. His name survives in the Hilton Charities.

33 Galgate, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8936919326 71e33f5ddc m
Nos. 57 & 59, as one house, were the residence of the historian William Hutchinson, author of "History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham" (1786). He died here in 1814, aged 82. His wife and his wife's initials are cut in the weather vane on No. 57.

59 Galgate, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
2392514 cf0ad3ac 120x120
Formerly the residence of Sir Roderick Murchison, twice President of The Royal Geographical Society. He died in 1871, aged 79, a great geologist and explorer. A town in New Zealand, falls on the Nile, a mountain range and river in Australia and a sound in Greenland are all named after him.

21 Galgate, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8937178914 4bfda43436 m
This house is the birthplace (30 July 1909) of Cyril Northcote Parkinson, author, Professor of various universities and discoverer of Parkinson's Law which reads: 'Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion'.

45 Galgate, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8936709665 ef6e9e11e5 m
Low Mill Foundry, owned by WM.Smith & Co., stood on this site from 1869 - 1991. The company, which began in 1867, took the name of "Low" Mill from its original premises which had been a riverside watermill, situated lower downstream than Barnard Castle's other industrial sites.

10 Hall Street, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8936838433 d2aa98c015 m
The first edition of the Darlington & Stockton Times was published from this building on 2nd October 1847. In the following year the offices transferred to Darlington.

23 Horsemarket, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8937107755 744768c83e m
The site of the old store house and hospital of the Durham Militia in 1759 and for many years afterwards.

26 Horsemarket, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8937861860 129e73223d m
In the mid-nineteenth century this building was the town's Post Office: later it became the Conservative Club.

31 Horsemarket, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8937338681 a70be7d6c7 m
This building was erected by public subscription as a testimonial to H. T. M. Witham Esq. of Lartington Hall after his death in 1844. It housed medical and educational facilities which Mr. Witham as a public benefactor had worked to provide for the town and district. He was an eminent geologist and was a founder member of The Royal Geological Society.

3 Horsemarket, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8937435633 0db4c9b65e m
This building in its time has been Town Hall, court room, lock-up and fire station. Up to the 1930's farmers wives sold dairy produce round the veranda, hence the name "Butter Market".

Butter Market, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8996859489 e4593e1099 m
Charles Dickens stayed here on February 1st & 2nd, 1838, while collecting material for his novel "Nicholas Nickleby".

14 Market Place, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8997955466 c823d42a07 m
A 16th century house, later an inn, the accession of James 2 was celebrated here by local magistrates and there is a tradition that Oliver Cromwell was entertained here in 1648.

30 The Bank, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8998163694 a8a2af3351 m
This building was formerly known as the Meeting House; visiting speakers included John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, who preached here before the Methodists had their own chapel in Barnard Castle. The building has also been used as a Roman Catholic school and, later, as a wine store.

Queen Street, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8998357262 f831512868 m
The site of one of two premises used by Thomas Humphreys, clock-maker, made famous by Charles Dickens in "Master Humphrey's Clock".

1 Newgate, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8997229077 151f8ee821 m
The site of one of two premises used by Thomas Humphreys, clock-maker, made famous by Charles Dickens in "Master Humphrey's Clock".

9 Market Place, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8998517870 e2020cd648 m
Richard III, as Duke of Gloucester and later King of England, was Lord of Barnard Castle from c.1474 until his death in 1485. He made improvements to the castle, took a close interest in the town and was a great benefactor of its church.

1 Newgate, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8997415809 5984ac100b m
Reginald and John Atkinson began printing their weekly newspaper The Teesdale Mercury on these premises in 1880. Earlier, since launching the Mercury in 1854, they had produced it 25 yards to the right of here, at what became part of the Natwest Bank.

24 Market Place, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8999527086 db802fb35e m
In 1796 this house became the residence of Sir John Hullock, Knight and Baron of the Court of the Exchequer. He enlarged it to accommodate and entertain his fellow judges while on circuit.

8 Thorngate, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects
8998449505 78145448e3 m
This building, originally known as Broadgates Chapel, was the first Methodist chapel to be built in Barnard Castle. Much of the labour in erecting it was undertaken by men and women of the congregation. John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, preached at the opening service on Saturday, 13th April 1765. The house in the adjoining garden was built later as the minister's residence.

Old School Close, Barnard Castle, United Kingdom

Subjects