1976. American Revolution Bicentennial 1776 - 1976. The Washington Artillery Park. On and near this site since 1718 has centered the military activities of both regular and citizen soldiers of France, Spain, the Confederacy and the United States. On either side were the redoubts forming the "Great Battery" which criss-crossed its fires with those of Fort San Carlos (Ft. St. Charles) at the foot of Esplanade Ave. and of Fort San Luis (Ft. St. Louis) at the river end of Canal Street. One block downriver is the lot used as an artillery park for Spanish, French and American cannons. From here and from Place d'Armes across the street, the Cannoniers-Bombardiers of France, the Royal Artillery of Spain, the Battalion d'Artillerie d'Orleans, and, for the last 100 years, the Washington Artillery (141st Field Artillery) have fired the salutes welcoming distinguished visitors to the Crescent City. To them and to their worthy successors this park is dedicated.
Decatur Street, opposite Jackson Square, New Orleans, LA, United States