Gilesgate Station. This building was constructed as the station terminus of Durham City's first railway line which branched from the first main line south at Belmont Junction and which opened for goods traffic on 15th April 1844. The introduction of a passenger service on 19th June followed the highly acclaimed main line opening of the previous day. The station lost its passenger status in 1857 when the present main line station opened, and finally closed on 7th November 1966. The line was obliterated when work began on 1967 on the A690 dual carriageway linking Durham with the A1(M) at Carrville.
Station Lane, Durham, United Kingdom