Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
On 18th September 1877 while being taken to the Benalla Courthouse opposite Edward ("Ned") Kelly evaded his police escort & entered this building, occupied by King-A bootmaker. A violent struggle ensued when Constable Fitzpatrick attempted to handcuff Kelly, aided by Sergeant Whelan & Constables Lonergan & O'Dea. William Magennis, a local J.P. & flour miller, successfully intervened, influencing Ned to surrender to police

??, Benalla, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
Benalla broken river hotel plaque
The Broken River Hotel. Built 1869 (On this site). The original owner, and later Licensee was Samuel Clarke. It was a two storey building, having 30 rooms, and a popular billiard room. The Hotel was demolished in 2002 and Target store built.

, ,

Benalla roman catholic church 005
St Joseph's Church Built 1907-08 Constructed to the "Australian Romanesque" design of architecture firm Kempson and Conolly. The church is architecturally importrant as an unusually large and ornate church building for country Victoria. This was the 2nd successive church built for the Benalla Roman Catholic Parish which was established in 1876, after being serviced from Wangaratta since the 1850s. After a major fire in the roof in 1989 the church building has been internally redesigned, and later refurbished in 2006.

?, Benalla, Victoria, Australia

Benalla uniting church 004
The Uniting Church. Built 1930. The Methodist Church replaced the 1876 Wesleyan Chapel. There had been earlier Primitive Methodist Churches in Barkly Street 1862, and in Church Street 1877, but these closed when the Primitive and the Wesleyan Methodists combined in 1902. Methodist and Presbyterian Churches united in 1977.

44 Carrier St,, Benalla, Victoria, Australia

Benalla victoria hotel 006
The Victoria Hotel. Built 1873. Built by George Chandler to co-incised with the commencement of the rail service to Benalla in 1873. Originally one storey, a second floor was built in 1913. The Hotel stables building still stands. Chandler had owned and operated an Hotel in Winton.

2 Carrier Street, Benalla, Victoria, Australia

Benalla commercial hotel 006
The Commercial Hotel. Built 1856. Built and owned by George Sharpe, Marcus Craven was the licensee. The Hotel was the Police Headquarters during the search for the Kelly Gang in 1879-80. George Sharpe was an energetic community leader and landowner, Benalla's first Shire President, and in 1877 a Member of Parliament. The Hotel facilities were used for many community events, including Shire Council meetings, before other meeting places were built. The Hotel has been enlarged and renovated over the years, the arched facade being added in c1938 during the 80 year long tenure of the Noonan family.

4-10 Bridge St E, Benalla, Victoria, Australia

Old benalla primary school plaque
Benalla Primary School No. 31 Built 1850 Benalla's first Government School, on 1 acre of land, consisted of two brick rooms, which cost 133 pounds. It was registered in 1872 as State School No. 31. The Benalla 31 School was relocated to larger premises in Waller St. in 1986.

?, Benalla, Victoria, Australia

Benalla drill hall plaque
Benalla Drill Hall Built 1915 The Romani Barracks were Headquarters of the 16th Victorian Mounted Rifles Australian Light Horse. The Drill hall has since been used by Army and Airforce Cadets, until the Australian Government Sold the site to Delatite Shire Council in 1999 for general community use. This was the site of the first purpose built Telegraph and Post Office used until 1881 when the new Post Office was built at the corner of Bridge and Mair Streets.

Cnr Bridge Street And Arundel Streets, Benalla, Victoria, Australia