Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Union Workhouse. The workhouse was formerly built on this site for the Biggleswade Union in 1837 on 3 acres of land called 'Gallows Ditch. The building housed 280 paupers from 24 parishes and later became an infirmary, maternity hospital and old people's home called 'The Limes'. This fine Victorian building was demolished in 1972.

142 London Road, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

612499 90a2212e 120x120
County Court House. Frederick Hooper, solicitor and registrar opened the building circa 1861 for use as a County Court for civil cases and offices for his solicitors practice next door at Brigham House. Customs & Excise later used the building before it became the job centre. The building is now a private house.

91 High Street, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
J R Goldthorpe. William Goldthorpe was trading here as an ironmonger by 1869. His son John Richard carried on the business in these premises up to 1970. This is the longest established business currently operating in this town.

38 High Street, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Town Hall. The Town Hall built by a private company in 1844 at a cost of £800, was used as a public hall until 1922. The Drum Clock was moved from the original Post Office opposite in 1898.

Town Hall, Market Square, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

053051 65072ba6 120x120
The White Hart. The White Hart is thought to be the oldest building in the town after the parish church. It also incorporated a maltings until the arrival of the railway in 1850.

The White Hart, Market Square, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Old Police Station. Biggleswade Police Station was built circa 1855 when Edwin Blunden was the first Superintendent of Police for the Biggleswade Division of the Bedfordshire Police Force. It was operational until 1939 when the new building opposite opened. This building still contains the original cells.

4 Station Road, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Maythorn Coachworks. John Maythorn a manufacturer of horse-drawn carriages moved from Sun Street to this site in 1869. The factory and showrooms of Maythorn & Sons Ltd covered a large area of the town centre, making bodies for expensive motor cars with Royal Patronage. Following a fire in 1923 the factory was rebuilt but subsequently closed in 1931. The premises were substantially demolished in 1990.

Iceland, Market Square, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

609922 b3bf4a11 120x120
Market House. There was an ancient Market House on this site before 1565 when it was in a ruinous condition and repaired. During the Victorian period it contained shops and a dwelling house above. In 1937 the building was reconstructed and incorporated the 16th century oak frame roof.

Market House, Market Square, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Shambles. The old Shambles stood on this part of the Market Square until burned down in 1896.

Century House, Market Square , Biggleswade, United Kingdom

884555 2ca7e822 120x120
The Swan Hotel. On this comer site stood The Swan Hotel, an ancient coaching inn reputed to have been visited by Samuel Pepys. The building burned down in The Great Fire of Biggleswade in 1785, was subsequently rebuilt to become the principal hotel in the town. Demolished in 1973.

Pegasus House, High Street , Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Charles Penrose. Charles Penrose Dunbar Cawse (1874-1952) was born here. He had a long career in film, theatre and radio. The first gramophone record was in1911, the most famous of which was the "Laughing Policeman" made by Charles Penrose in 1926.

3 High Street, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Mead House School. The inscription above the front door reads 'ESTABLISHMENT FOR YOUNG GENTLEMEN' and is a reference to the Biggleswade Academy for boys founded by John Conquest in 1834. Behind this building stands the former school. Both buildings together with nos. 52-58 Shortmead Street are now converted into 11 flats.

Elphick Court, Shortmead Street, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bourne Chapel. The Bourne Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1873 and continued until 1939 when it combined with Trinity Methodist Church. During WWII it was a Woman's Service Canteen and a clinic for mothers and babies evacuated from London.

132 Shortmead Street, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Dan Albone 1860-1906 Father of the British tractor industry and Biggleswade's most famous son. Dan Albone lived and worked directly Opposite. He invented and manufactured Safety bicycles, motorcycles and motorcars. Other inventions named Ivel included the worlds first practical and Successful farm tractor The Ivel Agricultural Motor was patented on 15th February 1902.

Shortmead Street, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Sun Inn. This 17th century building was frequented by Lord Torrington in the late 18th century and was in its day, Biggleswade's premier coaching inn with 24 bedrooms. The inn maintained 44 horses, 6 post chaise and 2 carriages. One of the three original horse-mounting blocks can still be seen in front of this property. The Sun Inn closed in 1836.

9 Sun Street, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Methodist Chapel. On this site stood the first Methodist Chapel built 1795.

2 Fairlands, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Council Schools. The British Board School was built in 1874 for 200 boys, enlarged in 1905 to accommodate 200 boys, 200 girls and 213 infants and was known as 'The Council Schools'. This was the main school in the town for nearly 50 years before changing to a Secondary Modern School, then St Andrews Lower School in 1964. Closed 1988.

Rose Lane, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Downs Maltings. Downs Maltings circa 1720 was one of 26 Maltings in Biggleswade using local barley. The malt was conveyed along the Ivel Navigation to Kings Lynn and then by sea to London.

The Old Maltings, Church Street, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ivel Mill. There has been a watermill on this site for over 1000 years. Henry Franklin, already a coal merchant became the miller in 1883. After a fire in 1945 the building was restored but used as a warehouse. In 1959 the business became Dalgety Franklin. In 1982 the mill was converted into flats.

Mill Lane, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Biggleswade Windmill. Near to this spot stood the tallest and finest windmill in Bedfordshire from 1859 to 1967, demolished in one day. It was 70 feet high and had five floors, with a gallery around the cap. The three millstones could grind three tons of grain per hour.

51 Osprey Road, Biggleswade, United Kingdom

610051 0185b826 120x120
Former Regal Cinema. The Regal Cinema seated 744 patrons and opened on 27th July 1936 with comedy film star Will Hay in attendance. This was the premier entertainment in the town and included a cafe. Between 1940 and 1946 Sunday evening concerts were staged. The cinema closed in 1976 and became a Bingo Hall.

Station Road, Biggleswade, United Kingdom