Blackpool Civic Trust

The Blackpool Civic Trust was formed in February 1975 with the intention of encouraging and supporting the town of Blackpool and its people. Its objectives and aims are to stimulate a sense of Civic Pride to promote high standards of planning and architecture and to secure the preservation, protection and improvement of features of historical or public interest.
A booklet listing and supplying information about the Blue Plaques is available in Blackpool Library and Stanley Park Visitor Centre. A sign is outside the Blackpool Tourism Office on Clifton Street showing the heritage trail.

Harold Larwood

Blackpool Cricket Club, West Park Drive, Blackpool, United Kingdom

This plaque commemorates all those who met and fell in love here at Blackpool Winter Gardens and marks the enduring affection of those people for this place. Thousands of loves stories, an enduring legacy all starting here...

Blackpool Winter Gardens, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Sir Hiram Maxim's Flying Machine. Opened in August 1904, Sir Hiram Maxim's Flying Machine is the only surviving captive flying machine ride in the world and is Pleasure Beach's oldest ride. A steel pole, 62 feet high, supports 10 arms from which hang carriages, creating an illusion of flying. Designed by Sir Hiram Maxim to raise money for his attempts to be the first man to fly the measured mile.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Winter Gardens (Grade II Listed). The Blackpool Winter Gardens were first opened to the public in 1875 and the Pavilion and ancillary buildings designed by Thomas Mitchell were officially opened to the public by the Lord Mayor of London in 1878. Many subsequent additions to the original buildings took place and principal amongst these are the Empress Ballroom designed by Manghall and Littlewood - opened in 1896 and the Opera House designed by Charles McKeith - opened in 1939. The latter is the third Opera House to be built on this site. The original was the first building in Blackpool to be designed by the celebrated theatre architect Frank Matcham and was opened in 1889. In 1978 the Winter Gardens and Opera House were refurbished by the First Leisure Corporation plc, who employed David Quigley as the architect for this work.

Blackpool Winter Gardens, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The Adelphi Hotel. The original Adelphi Hotel (as known as the Adelphi and Post Office Hotel) was built on this site in 1835 by Esau Carter who has a claim to have been Blackpool's first Postman. In 1923 the building was rebuilt by the local brewers Catterall & Swarbrick and given a white tiled exterior, parts of which can still be seen in Adelphi Street.

Church Street, opposite Pizza Express, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Blowing Sands (Grade II Listed) This cottage is one of the few remaining early agricultural dwellings on the area known as Blowing Sands, Marton Moss. Soundings made in the 1930's revealed that there have been at least 11 periods in history when the sea shore occupied this site. It now stands as a representative of several similar dwellings from the late 18th century in this area. Kindly donated by Stanley Ward Conservative Club.

Junction Common Edge Road with Progress Way, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Robert's Oyster Rooms Oysters, and sea food generally, have been sold on this site since 1876. John Roberts of Preston set up the business in that year when customers could buy seven oysters for a shilling (5p) and bring along their own 'black velvet' - a mixture of stout and champagne - to wash them down. Little has changed in the business since those early days which has remained a family concern. Todays oysters generally come from Anglesey or Ireland. The building today remains as one of the oldest survivors on the Promenade.

Promenade, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Bailey's Hotel The original building (one of Blackpool's earliest hotels) was erected circa 1776 by Lawrence Bailey a local farmer. Over the years it has been known as Bailey's Hotel, Rossall's Hotel, Dickson's Hotel and the Metropole. Unique in Blackpool's history, it is the only hotel situated on the seaward side of the tram tracks.

Princess Promenade, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The Big Wheel On this site stood a famous Blackpool landmark, the Big (or Great) Wheel. Opened on the 22nd August 1896, it was a massive structure rising to almost 230 feet and weighing around 1000 tons. It had 30 large carriages and over its 32 year life it carried millions of passengers giving them fine views of the Fylde. Never really a serious rival to its neighbour the Tower, it made its last revolution on the 20th October 1928 and was subsequently demolished.

Coronation Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Borough Theatre

Bank Hey Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Central Library (Grade II Listed)

Abingdon Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The Central Picture Theatre

Central Drive, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Central (formerly South) Pier

Central Pier, Blackpool, United Kingdom

251 Whitegate Drive

251 Whitegate Drive, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Church of the Sacred Heart

Talbot Road, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Clifton Hotel (Grade II Listed). The first hotel on this site was known as 'Forshaw's' and was built around 1780. It was at that time one of the four main lodging establishments in the town. It was partly demolished and reconstructed in 1865, the final reconstruction, leaving what can substantially be seen today, taking place in 1874. Originally brick faced with stone dressing it has since been stuccoed and rendered. It remains today as a fine example of mid-Victorian architecture.

Talbot Square, Blackpool, United Kingdom


Queens Promenade, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The General Post Office

Abingdon Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The Grand Theatre

Church Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The Gynn

Gynn Square, North Shore, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Lucy Morton Britain's first Women's Olympic Swimming Champion, winning a Gold medal at the 1924 Paris Games in the 200m Breastroke. She had previously held World Records in 1914, 1916 and 1920. She lived in the Town Hall from 1919 until 1927 where her father was Mayor's Attendant and in 1927 she married Harry Heaton, MBE. From 1930 until 1972 she was a swimming teacher for Blackpool Council and coached three Blackpool swimmers to International Level as well as officiating at many competitive events and as chaperone to the British Team. In 1988 she was honoured by the International Swimming Hall of Fame at Fort Lauderdale, USA. In 1969 she was presented to H M Queen Elizabeth II. Kindly donated by Jennifer and Peter Heaton and family.

Talbot Square, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The Old Post Office Building

57/59 Church Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The Parish Church of St John

St John's Square, Church Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Princess Parade. Built between October 1910 and September 1911, Princess Parade was officially opened by HRH Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll on 2nd May 1912. It replaced a narrow iron walkway on the sea defences around the Metropole Hotel. Over 200,000 tons of sand, used as infill, were transported along the Promenade from South Shore on specially laid railway track. Popularly referred to as the 'Sands Express', it consisted of five industrial steam engines named Alice, Annie, Horbury, Netherton and Reliance.

Princess Parade, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Queen Vera Road. Named by the traders of Abingdon Street Market to commemorate the visit of Miss Vera Greenwood of Whitworth, Rochdale, the reigning 'British Cotton Queen' of 1937. The street name was accepted by the Council in the same year and remains the shortest 'thoroughfare' in Blackpool.

Queen Vera Road, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Raikes Hall

Liverpool Road, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Revoe Library 1904-2004 To commemorate 100 years of providing a library service to the community. Sponsor Central Drive Community Association.

Revoe Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Richmond Villa

253 Whitegate Drive, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Blackpool Civic Trust Heritage Trail Saddle Inn The present building dates back to around 1776 and was owned by Richard Hall, a 'saddler'. Known at one time as the 'Roundabout House' travellers had to go round (about) it to get to Preston Road. The well known Leigh family were landlords from 1892 until Jim (the Beekeeper) retired in 1967. Today it still retains a splendid air of yesteryear and is now the oldest continuously licensed premises in Blackpool. Kindly donated by Bass

286 Whitegate Drive, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Blackpool Civic Trust Heritage trail Solaris Centre Opened in 1938 as a the Harrowside Solarium it incorporated a winter garden, sun lounge and palm court style care. This distinctive art deco landmark was designed by J.C. Robinson, Chief Architect to Blackpool Corporation. The building was transformed in 2004 into an environmental centre of excellence. Kindly sponsored by Blackpool Premier Hotels Association

South Promenade, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The Temple of Arts. One of the oldest surviving buildings in the town centre. Built in 1847 it became John Eastham's Temple of Arts photographic studio in 1853, said to have been the first in Blackpool. The outer wall was originally adorned by three carved figures - 'The Three Graces', Faith, Love and Charity. Created by the artist for many years until uncovered in 1976. Sadly they were damaged during building renovation in 1988 and were replaced by a plastic replica. Kindly donated by Lloyds Bank.

Temple Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The Town Hall (Grade II Listed) Built on the site of the former Town Hall demolished in 1895, it was completed in 1900. Designed by Potts, Son and Hemmings, built in Jacobean style of brick, faced with Yorkshire stone and originally topped with a spire and weather-vane. These were taken down in 1966 on the grounds of structural safety. Comprehensive restoration took place in 1985/86 and the building now stands as the focal point of the surrounding Conservation Area. Kindly donated by Blackpool Borough Council.

Talbot Square, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The War Memorial (Grade II Listed) A small temporary memorial dedicated to the fallen in the Great War was erected here in 1919. It was replaced by the present monument which was unveiled on Armistice Day, the 11th November 1923. Today it is dedicated to those who fell in battle in both World Wars and subsequent conflicts. Kindly donated by Fylde Ex-Service Liaison Committee.

Cenotaph, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Alistair Cooke

10 Vance Road, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Blackpool Police Station

?, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Blackpool Municipal Airport

Woodside Drive, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Former Odeon Cinema

Dickson Road, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Ibbison Street

Ibbison Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Blackpool Masonic Hall

Adelaide Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

The Mitre Inn

West Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Municipal Buildings

Market Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

North Station

?, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Old Coach House

50 Dean Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Salisbury Woodland Pill Box - Type 22

Woodside Drive, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes

Whinney Heys Lane, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Squires Gate Aerodrome

Squires Gate Lane, Blackpool, United Kingdom

St John's National School

Church Street, Blackpool, United Kingdom

St Nicholas's School

School Road, Blackpool, United Kingdom

St Stephens on the Cliffs

Holmfield Road, Blackpool, United Kingdom

Stanley Park Visitor Centre

Mawson Drive, Blackpool, United Kingdom