Cinema Heritage Group

The Cinema Heritage Group (CHG) was established in 2006, bringing together cinema enthusiasts and industry experts (including architects, engineers, film lecturers, social historians and cinema operators) with an interest in the history of cinemas, to join efforts in the recording and preservation of the architectural, cultural and social aspects of cinemagoing history. The group is active in Malta, Ireland and internationally.

On this site stood Ireland's very first dedicated picture house, the Volta Cinema. It was opened on 20th December 1909 and managed by James Joyce. The converted 420-seat venue was renamed the Lyceum in 1921. It closed in 1948 and was demolished in the 1960s. Only the upper floor facades survives

45 Mary Street, Dublin, Ireland