Ryhope Village. This once rural settlement can be traced back to 930AD when it was recovered from the Scots by the Saxon King Athelstan. It was evolved as a 3-row village about a triangular green and was once popular with Bishops of Durham for sea bathing.

, Sunderland, United Kingdom

Ryhope Rent Office. This attractive limestone building was built in 1826 as a chapel of ease to Bishopwearmouth Parish Church. It remained in use until 1873 when St. Paul's Church opened. It has since been used as a school, a library, and now Council offices. Grade II Listed Building.

, Sunderland, United Kingdom

Church of St. Paul, Ryhope. This fine parish church was completed in 1873 to replace a small chapel of ease near the Green that could no longer meet the demands of the growing congregation. It is built in local limestone with sandstone dressings.

, Sunderland, United Kingdom

Hetton Library. The library was originally built in 1873 as Hetton Infant School which was supported by the Hetton Coal Company. The school closed in the 1950's and the building was reopened as the local branch library in 1961.

, Sunderland, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Pann Field. This area became known as The Panns in the 16th century when it was the centre of the salt industry. Sea water was boiled in huge pans 20ft or more across and 6ft deep; a furnace below repeatedly boiled the pans dry for 3 days to produce salt.

St Mary's Car Park, A1018, Sunderland, United Kingdom

Wearmouth Bridge. The first Wearmouth Bridge of 1796 proved to be a catalyst for the growth of Sunderland. It was rebuilt in 1857 by Robert Stephenson and again in 1927 when this steel arch bridge was constructed. 1996 - Bicentenary of the Iron Bridge

Wearmouth Bridge, Sunderland, United Kingdom

Subjects