Vancouver   mole hill 31
George Leslie's Lane Cottage Builder: George Leslie This circa 1901 Yaletown home was relocated to Mole Hill in 2002 and restored by the Vancouver Heritage Foundation. It was originally situated on the lane at the rear of 1380 Hornby Street. Plasterer George Leslie built it behind the Queen Anne style home he built for his family in 1889, now one of the oldest houses in the city. The Lane Cottage is a rare survivor of the early days when two homes might be built on any single lot. Its smaller size and simple box design were common in Vancouver around the turn of the 19th century. It has retained its orientation toward the lane at this new location.

1117 Pendrell Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Vancouver   greenshields building plaque
Greenshields Building Builder: J.M. McLuckie This former warehouse was constructed in 1901-02 as two separate buildings designed to appear as one. Greenshields, Son & Company was a prominent Montreal-based dry goods firm which opened its first Vancouver outlet in 1888. Architect James H. Cadham designed the firm's warehouse in Winnipeg in 1903, and also likely designed this building. The east half was operated by Kelly, Douglas & Company, a successful wholesale grocery firm; within a few years they moved to their own hanger warehouse at the west end of Water Street. The Greenshields Building was designed in the commanding Romanesque Revival style, with arched windows on the third floor and decorative carved sandstone capitals topping the lower stone pilasters. In 2004 the west half was rehabilitated and a new top floor was added, set back from the street facing.

Greenshields Building, Gastown, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Hotel vancouver plaque
Hotel Vancouver Architects: John S. Archibald & John Schofield In 1887, the first Hotel Vancouver opened at Georgia and Granville Streets. It was replaced in 1916 by a more lavish building at the same location. In 1928, construction began on the third and present Hotel Vancouver. It took 11 years to complete, and opened on May 25, 1939 in time to welcome Their Majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on their first Canadian tour.

W Georgia St, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Vancouver   orpheum theatre plaque
Orpheum Theatre Architects: B. Marcus Priteca & Frederick J. Peters The Orpheum, built and financed by local entrepreneur Joseph F. Langer, was part of the Chicago-based Orpheum Circuit theatres. It opened in 1927 as the largest theatre in Canada and the Pacific Northwest. Over the years audiences have been entertained by symphonies, vaudeville acts, movies, and radio shows at this venue. The opulent interior decor was restored by Thompson, Berwick & Pratt Architects in 1975-77 and the building now serves as the city's premier concert hall.

Orpheum Theatre, Granville Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Vancouver holden building tellier tower heritage plaque
Holden Building Architect: W. T. Whiteway Built in 1910-11 by realtor William Holden, this ten storey brick building is a landmark along the Hastings Street commercial corridor. Over the years the building has housed a variety of uses including offices, steam baths, and from 1929 to 1936 it served as Vancouver's City Hall. Many of the original architectural details were uncovered during the 1988 conversion to housing for the Downtown Eastside Residents Association by Davidson Yuen Architects. It was renamed Tellier Tower after the prominent union leader.

10-16 East Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Vancouver   christ church cathedral plaques
Christ Church Cathedral Architect: C.O. Wickenden, 1889 and 1894 This is the oldest church building in Vancouver. The original foundation, built of granite quarried from Little Mountain, was covered with a temporary roof permitting Christ Church's first service to be held in October 1889. The present Gothic Revival sandstone building with its narrow arched windows was constructed in 1894-95. The interior features a roof supported by hammerbeam trusses in the style of large English halls and churches dating back to the 1300s. In 1929 Christ Chuch was dedicated as a Cathedral, the seat of the Bishop of the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster. In 2004 the church was extensively upgraded and the original fir flooring, cedar tongue and groove ceiling and stained glass windows were restored. Kenneth Jones of Bray, Ireland, built a tracker organ for the new gallery superceding chancel organs by Casavant Freres (1949), Robert Hope-Jones (1911) and the first builder (unknown, 1895). This resoration work received a City of Vancouver Heritage Award and a Heritage Canada Foundation Achievement Award.

Christ Church Cathedral, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Vancouver   power block plaque
Power Block Architects: N. S. Hoffar, 1888. Townley & Matheson, 1929 This rare example of an art deco exterior employing colourful terra cotta with Egyptian overtones was designed by the architects of Vancouver's city hall as part of a 1929 building renovation. The interior structure dates from a saloon built in 1888 for Captain William Power, then known as the "Mayor" of North Vancouver's Moodyville. It was expanded and renovated by owner Dominic Burns of the Burns meat-packing family in 1911, the year he also built the nearby 14-storey Vancouver Block with its huge landmark clock.

Power Block, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Canadian linen supply building heritage plaque
Canadian Linen Company Building Architects: Townley & Matheson This 1929 art deco and moderne-style industrial building was built for the Vancouver-based Canadian Linen Company. It grew to become the largest rental supplier of work uniforms and restaurant linen in Canada. The design by Townley & Matheson, the architects of Vancouver's city hall, incorporated the company's initials into cast decorative medallions above the windows. The 1999 redevelopment of the site included preservation of the original building and its boiler room chimney, and construction of the 29-storey Metropolis tower designed by Stuart Howard Architects.

1228-1232 Richards Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada