THE CHESHIRE CHEESE 1864 In the eighteen sixties a number of rudimentary inns were established throughout the district. One of the earliest was The Cheshire Cheese built here by Robert Wolstenholme with locally cut sandstone. It soon became a staging for Cobb and Company and catered successfully for settlers, timber sawyers, bushmen and travelers. Other early inns were the Notting Hill, The Mulgrave Arms, The Tally Ho and The Mountain View, The Squatters Rest, known also as The No Good Damper, The South Yarra and The Lady Of The Lake. So elegant was this stone that the Anglicans accepted Wolstenholme's offer to donate what he did not need to construct the beautiful St Matthew's Church on Wellington and Springvale Roads corner in 1869. It stood proudly until demolished in 1976. Placed as part of the Victoria 150 celebrations in the City of Waverley by the Council, Spring, 1985

Corner of Lum Road and Ferntree Gully Road, Wheelers Hill, Victoria, Australia

THE TOWN COMMON, 1861 Early in 1861, the town common was proclaimed on three unsold blocks: one in High Street Road on Gardiner's Creek between Huntingdale and Warrigal Roads, a second on High Street Road between Springvale and Blackburn Roads where Wesley College and the Syndal shops now stand, and this block in Waverley Road backing down to Scotchman's Creek between Forster and Stephenson's Roads. It provided for the townspeople's working horses, bullocks and household cows. Placed as part of the Victoria 150 celebrations in the City of Waverley, by the Council, Spring, 1985.

Corner Waverley Road and Forester Road, Mount Waverley, Victoria, Australia

THE TOWNSHIP "WAVERLEY". In 1864, Dr. Silverman, a Russian-born doctor purchased for 760 pounds, a quarter-mile block extending south and east from this intersection. This land he subdivided and named the "Township of Waverley", thus perpetuating his admiration for the works of the novelist, Sir Walter Scott. Placed as part of the Victoria 150 celebrations in the City of Waverley, by the students of Mt. Waverley High School, Autumn, 1985.

Corner Stephensons Road and High Street Road, Mount Waverley, Victoria, Australia

"HORTY HALL", MOUNT WAVERLEY, 1899. On the crest of this hill, over-looking the now renowned orchards of High Street Road, Secretary J. B. Brewster designed and built the Mt. Waverley and District Horticultural Hall. So began a new focus for community life: concerts, glee clubs, dances, theatricals, educational lectures, meetings, schools, speech nights, and even wrestling displays graced this beautiful timber building with its rusticated block fronted and iron cresting, its moulded panel ceiling, its Kauri seats and its handsome nickel lamps for a cost, including land of less than 200 pounds, ($400). Placed as part of the Victoria 150 celebrations in the City of Waverley by the Council, Spring, 1985.

Corner High Street Road and Stewart Street, Mount Waverley, Victoria, Australia

THE PROWD FAMILY This plaque marks the place where William Prowd decided to settle. William (1817 - 1901). A gentleman farmer from Armagh, Northern Ireland and his wife Mary (nee Doolan 1818 - 1897) arrived in Victoria in 1851. William purchased land in the Parish of Mulgrave north of Ferntree Gully Road from the crown in 1853. His family consisted of five sons and a daughter, the sons assisting on the farm. William, a devout Anglican, helped to initiate a Sunday School at the Oakleigh Church of England and petitioned for the establishment of the Oakleigh State School. Charles, (fourth son) and his wife Elizabeth (nee Christie) opened up a gravel pit and continued to farm their portion of the property. After the sale of several acres, they donated land for a private road known as Stanley Avenue to provide access to new residents. For over a century 65 acres remained in the ownership of the Prowd family. Placed by the City of Waverley on 25 November 1990. Cr. T. M. Heffernan JP. Mayor.

89 Stanley Avenue, Mount Waverley, Victoria, Australia