The building of a Market Hall on this site, now occupied by the Town Hall, was begun
in 1634. On the 25th February 1643, the market hall was wrecked by an explosion of
gunpowder during the temporary occupation of the town by Parliamentarian forces under
the command of Lord Brooke.
Although subsequently repaired, by 1767 the building was "in a dangerous and ruinous state"
and was replaced by the present building.
Presented by Col. George Monck's Regiment of Foote to commemorate the 350th anniversary
of the English Civil War.