The College Gates These wrought iron lock-up gates were purchased by the College in 1888 for the main entrance to its newly constructed offices at 371 Bay Street, located on the south east corner of Bay and Richmond Streets in Toronto. They are the only remaining artifacts from the building which served as the College's home until 1905. The manufacturer was J.H. Pendrick who was contracted for a sum of $420 (whether this included other work is not known). The gates would have folded open to the side during the day and closed at night to discourage loitering or sleeping in the entranceway. When the building was demolished in 1960, Mr Warwick Noble, College solicitor and son of the former Registrar, Dr Robert T. Noble, rescued the gates and brought them to his country home near Norval, Ontario. The following year he suggested that they be used in the construction of the College's new building at 64 Prince Arthur. The Registrar, Dr Dawson, agreed, and had two sections lengthened in order to be mounted at the entrance to the parking lot. When the College moved to its present location in 1983, the gates were purchased by Stan Burr, a College staff member, who kept them for many years at his property in Durham. Mr Burr believed the gates should once again belong to the College and so returned them on his retirement in 1999.
80 College Street, Toronto, ON, Canada