http://www.coventry.gov.uk

Hill Street Gate. 'Made new' about 1423, it's original form and construction date are unknown. The town wall on either side was built in the 1390s. The gate was demolished in the latter half of the 19th Century. Bond's Hospital was later extended over the wall and Bond St. opposite laid out directly over another section. The site of the gate is now marked in the roadway adjacent.

Hill Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Greyfriars Gate Bull Yard was formerly a short street (Bull Street) leading to Barrack's Square Market (now Barracks car park), but on Samuel Bradford's 1748-9 Coventry map it was part of a much longer path leading from Greyfriars Gate to Smithford Street, beside the Black Bull Inn - "The Back Way to the Bull". The path was used by the Royalist leader, the Earl of Northampton, to escape from the Inn when troops were outnumbered by Parliamentarian forces in 1642 during the Civil War. "The Bull" a three-storey timber framed building of eight bays, mentioned in the 15th century documents was the Black Bull by the 17th century. A large field belonging to the Inn was called the Bull Field, in 1793 the "Black Bull" was replaced by the Cavalry Barracks, a five bay stone building. The plaque at the Shelton Square entrance to Bull Yard commemorates another "bull",. the Dun Cow slain by Guy of Warwick. In Coventry legend the cow was a huge wild boar, which terrorised the people and rooted up Swanswell (Swine's Well) Pool with it's snout - till Guy slew it. In the paving the outline of the Town Wall is marked: this was built between 1385 and 1391. Also depicted is Greyfriars gate, one of the principal gates out of twelve which once circuited the Wall. It's actual site was in the roadway nearby. In 1648 Royalist soldiers were imprisoned there. In 1705 it was made into a dwelling but was demolished in 1781.

Bull Yard, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
This building dating from the 15th century, was formerly 7 Much Park Street. It was dismantled and reconstructed in its original form in 1970-71. The front range, built over a stone vaulted cellar, had a ground floor workshop and upper floor solar, the original stair position is still evident in the trimmed joists. A passage led to the hall and other buildings at the rear. One hall bay was open to the roof and the vestiges of a smoke outlet may still be seen. The original hearth has been preserved in its correct position and level beneath the present floor. The project was carried out by the City Corporation with aid of gifts of materials

Aspell Jewellers, 9 Spon Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
This building previously 142-3 on the north side of Spon Street beyond the Ringway, was built about 1700. It had a rear range of two gables of which one had been rebuilt. The original staircases had gone, as also ahd most of the front wall-frame. The building illustrates the end of the timber-frame tradition in Coventry and the transition to brick. Dismantling commenced in February 1971 and re-erection was completed in March 1975 by the Coventry City Council with the aid of gifts.

16 Spon Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Lychgate Cottages. Named after the lychgate, through which funerals once entered Holy Trinity graveyard (Old English lic, corpse). The jetted building has been tree-ring dated to 1414-15 and is the only surviving priory building within the former monastic precinct. It stood in the enclosed forecourt of St Mary's cathedral with a high wall to the left and the church's south-west tower to the right. The building was restored and extended in 1856 and repaired again in 1997-8.

Priory Row, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
This is one of the very few surviving three-storey jettied buildings of Coventry. It dates from 1500 and was formerly at 8-10 Much Park Street next to the present 9 Spon Street. It's semi-detached plan is also notable. As a medieval city centre building it is larger and richer than the indigenous Spon Street buildings. It had a parallel hall range at the rear of two-storey height of which one bay, with a hearth in the middle of the floor. Was open on the roof while the other had an upper floor. The range was too fragile to restore but number 9 has exactly the same range. In the front range the fire-place (FP) were of a later period and were not preserved. The spiral stairs (slightly altered). The carved lintel above this plaque was and in the cellar which was earlier in date than the buildings. The building was dismantled and restored between 1970 and 1974 by the City Corporation with the aid of gifts.

Frank Harvey - 163-164 Spon Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Swift Quinton Works. Originally the office block of S. & B. Gorton's Cycle Works, built in 1890 (Quinton Cycle Company 1891, New Beeston Cycle Company 1896). Under the motor enterpreneur, Harry J. Lawson, the latter company produced a 11/4 - hp motor tricycle here in August 1896, the only British-built entry in the London to Brighton 'Emancipation Run' that November. Along with the Daimler wagonettes assembled at the 'Motor Mills' in 1896, it marks the birth of the British Motor Industry in Coventry. As the Beeston Motor Company, the firm produced cars commercially from 1897-1900. The building then became Radenaker's Chocloate Factory until 1905 and the Swift Motor Company Works until 1931. It was restored and adapted for use as an hotel in 1998-99.

Parkside, Coventry, United Kingdom

Lady Herbert's Garden & Garden of International Friendship Lady Herbert's Garden was laid out in the 1930s by Alfred Herbert as a memorial to his second wife. The garden of International Friendship was opened in 2000 as part of the City Council's Millennium Scheme (Phoenix Initiative). During the medieval period the area lay on either side of the town wall (here constructed between the 1430s and 1460s). Within the wall were located the rear gardens of houses on Cook St and St Agnes Lane. A great ditch lay immediately on the outside of the wall and beyond grew the fruit trees of the Prior's Orchard. Swanswell Gate (Priory Gate) served as the Prior's own gate into the monastic precinct. As Coventry grew in the 19th century, the area was built over for the first time. In turn, much of this was cleared in the 20th century and the best preserved section of the town wall made publicly visible for the first time. A Millennium Commission Lottery Project

Lady Herbert's Garden - Hales Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

The Coventry Theatre The New Hippodrome, as it was originally named, was opened on 1 November 1937. It was the third Hippodrome on this site, the first situated in Pool Meadow (1903) and the second (1907) built in what is now the lower part of Lady Herbert's Garden. The New Hippodrome, re-named the Coventry Theatre in 1955, provided the venue for some of the world's greatest artistes and productions. The auditorium was comfortable and impressive in size, seating 2136. The arrival of television in the 1950s and '60s caused a drastic decline in the popularity of variety theatre. In 1985 the theatre became a bingo hall and operated as such until it was demolished in 2002 to make way for Millennium Place, the Whittle Arch and the new frontage to Coventry Transport Museum.

Millennium Place - near Hales Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects