The White Hart. This inn, formerly known as the George is the oldest survival of Crewkerne's hostelries with fine medieval windows and a fireplace dating from about 1500.

The White Hart, 4 East St, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

3 Lyme Road. Private Fred Fox DCM, MM&Bar, Medaille Militaire, lived here. He served in the 15 th Hussars and the East Surrey Regiment and was one of the most decorated private soldiers of the First World War.

3 Lyme Road, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Severalls Park. These stone piers mark the entrance to one of the earliest council estates in the country. Promising a better future, the housing, trees and recreation grounds are a memorial to the 131 Crewkerne men killed in the First World War.

Severalls Park, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

17 Market Street. This fine Georgian house, with its exceptionally elegant facade, was the Crewkerne home of the Blake family who were pioneers in the Falkland Islands. Hence the name of the adjacent Falkland Square.

17 Market Street, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Subjects
9 Church Street. This grand 18th Century Town House, much admired by Poet Laureate John Betjeman, housed the Local Council offices until they moved to the Town Hall in 1995. Nos. 3, 5 and 20 are also notable in this fine Georgian Street.

9 Church Street, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Candle Cottage, East Street This medieval house has fine carved roof timbers and was the home from 1864 to his death in 1905, of Frederick Stringfellow. Like his famous father John, he was an aviation pioneer and also one of the first to use anaesthetics in dentistry.

Candle Cottage, East Street, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Subjects
The George Hotel, Market Square. This Georgian hotel is the most complete survival of Crewkerne’s coaching inns. Thomas Hutchins, the proprietor and Crewkerne’s Postmaster between 1619 and 1631, introduced England’s first profitable postal service between London and Plymouth.

The George Hotel, Market Square, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Merefield House, East Street. The former town mansion of the Merefield family dates from 1589 with later additions. The main part of the house (1810-1811) is a fine example of Regency architecture with early 18 th Century armorial gates. The Rococo garden gazebo dates from 1720.

Merefield House, East Street, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

NatWest Bank, Market Street. This fine neo-classical building was built for the Stuckey Banking Company in 1838 and anticipates the popular architectural style for major banks in the 1930’s. It is reputed to be one of the earliest purpose-built bank buildings in the country.

NatWest Bank, Market Street, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

The Hermitage This 18th Century house was the home between 1863 and 1878 of George Pulman, eminent local historian, author of the Book of the Axe and pioneer of local newspapers.

The Hermitage, Hermitage Street, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Unitarian Chapel Built in 1733, this is the oldest non-conformist church in the town. It contains monuments to the Blake family who preached here over four generations.

Unitarian Church, Hermitage Street, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

12 Court Barton. Ralph Reader CBE, Broadway and West End theatrical impresario, creator of the Scout and royal Air Force ‘Gang Shows’ was born in this house on 25 May 1903.

12 Court Barton, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Subjects
13 Market Square. This late medieval house was originally the Red Lion Inn. It has a fine 16th Century carved ceiling and a stone vaulted undercroft which is probably 12th Century and the oldest surviving structure in Crewkerne.

13 Market Square, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Abbey, Abbey Street. This early Victorian Tudor-style house was built in 1846 on the site of the ruins of one of Crewkerne's three medieval clergy houses. The south side incorporates an original 15 th Century window from the old house.

The Abbey, Abbey Street, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Church Hall, Abbey Street. Dating from 1636, this Jacobian-style building housed the Crewkerne Grammar School founded by John de Combe in 1499. Captain Thomas Hardy, Nelson’s flag-captain, was a pupil here. When the school moved to Mount Pleasant in 1882, it became the Church Hall.

Church Hall, Abbey Street, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Christ Church, South Street. Behind this wall stood Christ Church, the chapel of ease to St. Bartholomew’s. Opened in 1854 to serve the town’s increased population, it was demolished in 1975 and Christ Church Court now stands on the site.

Christ Church, South Street, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Southfield House, Middle Path. John Patch, noted Crewkerne builder and architect, built this house for himself on land purchased in 1837. His characteristic style may be seen in many of the town’s buildings of the 1830’s and 1840’s.

Southfield House, Middle Path, Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Chubb's Almshouses. These almshouses were hounded in 1604 by Matthew and Margaret Chubb "for the perpetual relief of 8 poor people who should be inhabitants of the town of Crewkerne and Misterton." The adjoining almshouses in West Street were built in a similar Jacobean style in 1897.

, Crewkerne, United Kingdom