Brown's Line In 1793 approximately 650 hectares of land was granted to Colonel Samuel Smith, a vast tract of forest bounded by what is now Kipling Avenue, Bloor Street, Etobicoke Creek and Lake Ontario. After his death in 1826, the Smith tract was divided into concessions and the names O'Connor, Sandford, Horner, Evans and Brown are prominent on early maps of the area. Joseph Brown emigrated from Yorkshire, England in 1831 and shortly after his arrival he became the first permanent settler, establishing a farm on Concession III, just north of what is now Evans Avenue. The dirt track leading to this farm was called "Brown's Line", a name that continues to this day.
corner of Brown's Line and Horner Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada