John clarke plaque
John S. Clarke (1885-1959) seaman, lion-tamer, Socialist pioneer, antiquary and Labour MP for Maryhill, Glasgow; was born in this street at number 66 on 4th February.

, Jarrow, United Kingdom

Subjects
Grotto in cleadon
Cleadon Grotto - An 18th Century garden ornament overlooking a formal pond originally in the grounds of Cleadon House. Reprinted in the Borough of South Tyneside as a contribution to the Cleadon 800 festival in 1983.

Coulthard Park, Cleadon, United Kingdom

Pilot house plaque
Pilot House- The Old Pilots House modernised in 1930 is still the office of the Tyne Pilots. Opposite the house is The Beacon which was erected in the late 18th century for the guidance of the local pilots.

Greens Place, South Shields, United Kingdom

Volunteer life brigade plaque
Volunteer Life Brigade House - The South Shields Brigade was formed in January 1866 to rescue mariners ship - wrecked on nearby shores. This Watch House, built 1867 and extended 1875, was restored by the Brigade and Tyne and Wear County Council in 1985.

South Pier, South Shields, United Kingdom

Lawe beacon  close
Lawe Beacons- Erected as navigational aids in 1832 by John Turnbull, at a cost of £60, this beacon and its companion replaced 18th century structures. They complement the High and Low Lights at North Shields.

Lawe Road, South Shields, United Kingdom

Tyne port health authority
Tyne Port Health Authority- This Authority was established in January, 1879 to combat the danger of imported diseases following a tremendous growth of foreign - going shipping in the Tyne. It occupied this building from 1886, when it was built, until 1985.

Mill Dam, South Shields, United Kingdom

Old town hall plaque
Old Town Hall- The only Market Place building to survive the 1941 blitz, it was erected in 1768 by the Dean and Chapter of Durham, and served as Town Hall until the New Town Hall was ppened in 1910. Restored in 1977.

Market Place, South Shields, United Kingdom

File:river tyne pilots offices 2
Former Pilot Offices- For 320 years from 1536, Trinity House, Newcastle controlled the Tyne pilotage. Thereafter, pilots were directed by a new Authority on which they were represented. This house was the Pilot Offices from 1886 to 1980.

Green's Place, South Shields, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Former Pilots Office- For 320 years from 1936, Trinity House, Newcastle controlled the Tyne pilotage. Thereafter, pilots were directed by a new Authority on which they were represented. This house was the Pilot Offices from 1886 to 1980.

Green's Place, South Shields, United Kingdom

The customs house, south shields   blue plaque
Former Customs House Built in 1863 - 4 just before South Shields was declared a separate Customs port in 1865; designed by T.M. Clemence, architect and Borough Surveyor. The rear office extension was added in 1878, J.H. Morton, architect

Mill Dam, South Shields, South Shields, United Kingdom