Pulham Stone dates back to the early 19th century, when James Pulham and Son of Woodbridge, Suffolk became famous as garden craftsmen and rockery makers.
James Pulham Jnr took over the business when his father died in 1838. The company was then formed in Hoddesdon. It then moved to Broxbourne in 1842 where he built kilns and workshops bad began the manufacture of Terracotta.
The name “Pulhamite” was given to the artificial stone – based on lime and cement. Terracotta has a base of clay which was mainly associated with buildings rather than gardens.
In 1849 the Priory was being modernised and ‘Gothicised’ by the architect, George Godwin, for the new owner Martin Gosselin. It was a this time that tree like the huge London Plane were planted and the riverbank refurbished with Pulham stone which can be seen here today.
In 1838 Pulham stone was used for neo-Norman gatehouse folly at Bennington Lordship. In the 1890s the Pulhams were granted a royal Warrant to carry out work at Sandringham and later at Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace. The business flourished early in the 20th century and included rock gardens for the Royal Horticultural Society at Wisley and for seaside resorts such as Blackpool and Folkstone.
This display was funded by the Friends of Ware Priory – September 2011
The Priory Gardens, Ware, United Kingdom