This ancient passageway was the site of the activities of the Press gangs in the 18th and 19th centuries, and was refurbished in 1988 by Hampshire County Council as part of the Older Urban Areas Programme for Gosport
D.R.A. Maritime Division.
Within this site, established in 1886, is the Ship Tank which was developed from the work of William Froude (1810-79)
who carried out the world's first experiments in a tank
on ship models.