Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Allan Maclean Howard House The Second Mile Club This house, now home to the Second Mile Club, was built in 1850 for A. Maclean Howard, a prominent citizen. Howard rode his horse to work along Carlton Street, then a tree lined country road bordered on the north by forests. In 1947 Arthur Davidson, the last owner to live in the house, sold it to the City of Toronto. He asked that the house be used as a senior citizens' clubhouse, which it became when the Second Mile Club began leasing it that same year. Eunice Dyke, the influential head of the City's Public Health nurses, founded The Second Mile Club in 1937 to encourage meaningful activities among the elderly. The first organization of senior citizens in Canada, the club still operates the house as a centre, one of five in the city of Toronto that continue to provide a valuable service to the elderly.

192 Carlton Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Allen's Danforth Theatre 1919 Promoted as "Canada's First Super-Suburban Photoplay Palace", this theatre was constructed for Jule and Jay J. Allen, pioneers in the Canadian movie industry. After relocating the headquarters of Allen Theatres to Toronto in 1915, the Allen brothers quickly added 10 local theatres to their extensive Canadian chain. The Danforth Theatre - built after the completion of the Prince Edward Viaduct in 1918 - took advantage of its rapidly developing neighbourhood. Designed in modified Georgian Revival style by Hynes, Feldman & Watson, Architects, with C. Howard Crane of Detroit, the combination vaudeville and movie theatre seated 1,600. Its elegant auditorium featured wall panels of tapestry silk and richly detailed Adamesque plaster decoration. After the forced sale of many Allen theatres in 1923, the Danforth became the Century Theatre, and then The Music Hall. It is the best preserved former Allen theatre in Toronto. The symbol of its first owners, a stylized AT, can still be seen on its façade.

147 Danforth Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Athenaeum Club 1891 Built for the Athenaeum Club, this façade was designed by the architectural firm Denison and King in a Moorish Revival style, rare in Toronto. It features intricate brickwork, several Moorish window arches, and in the balcony, a cast-iron column with an exotic capital. From 1904 to 1967, the building was the Labor Temple - a home to the local labour movement, and host to key debates in Canadian labour history.

167 Church Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Babe Ruth at Hanlan's Point Near this site, in Maple Leaf Park on September 5, 1914, the now legendary baseball player Babe Ruth hit his first home run as a professional. It was to be the only home run he ever hit in the minor leagues. As a 19-year-old rookie, playing for the Providence Grays in the International League, he connected with a pitch from Ellis Johnson of the Toronto Maple Leafs, sending the ball over the fence in right field and scoring three runs. Pitching for the Grays, Ruth allowed only one hit, earning the title "southside phenom" from the Toronto Daily Star. The final score was Providence Grays 9, Toronto Maple Leafs 0. Babe Ruth quickly moved up to the major leagues, and played his way to a phenomenal career. The Toronto team went on to win a total of eleven pennants before folding in 1967.

Hanlan's Point ferry dock, Toronto Island, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Professional Baseball at Hanlan's Point In 1867, Toronto's professional baseball club moved to the new Hanlan's Point Stadium - part of the larger Hanlan's Point Amusement Park on this site. Baseball and lacrosse joined other attractions here, including hotels, thrilling amusement rides, and such curiosities as a diving horse. In 1910, the baseball team, now called the Toronto Maple Leafs, replaced its wooden stadium with a concrete, 18,000-seat structure named Maple Leaf Park. The team remained there for the next 15 years, winning pennants for adoring fans in 1912, 1917, and 1918. In 1926, the club was moved to a more accessible, state-of-the-art stadium at the foot of Bathurst Street. The island stadium was eventually demolished and the site was redeveloped for the Toronto Island Airport.

Hanlan's Point ferry dock, Toronto Island, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Beaches Branch, Toronto Public Library 1916 Designed in 17th-century English Collegiate style, Beaches Branch by Kew Gardens replaced a storefront library opened in 1914 at the corner of Queen Street East and Hambly Avenue. The new building was one of three nearly identical libraries (together with Wychwood and High Park) built with a $50,000 grant to the Toronto Public Library from the Carnegie Corporation of New York. George Locke, the chief librarian, wanted the three buildings to "bring to the mind of the people of the outlying districts some recollection of their Scottish and English village type of architecture." The Toronto architecture firm Eden Smith and Sons completed the design, "a decided revolt" from the Classical styling of earlier Carnegie libraries. The brick and stone building features an upper floor modelled on a Tudor Gothic great hall. It boasts a soaring hammer-beamed ceiling, a plain stone fireplace, lead-glass casement windows, and a minstrel gallery. The west wing, built when the library was renovated and restored in 2005, replaces a 1980 addition.

2161 Queen Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bell Telephone Company Building 1926 Designed in Edwardian Classical style by Montreal architect W.J. Carmichael, this building was constructed to accommodate the switching equipment, switchboard operators, and technicians needed for Bell Telephone's rapidly expanding service in this area. Prior to automated call routing, operators would direct each telephone call to its requested number. The first local phone calls were routed from a drug store in New Toronto, where a switchboard was in operation by 1914. By 1925, Bell Telephone employed 26 people in the area, and one year later, this new facility was completed on an increasingly industrial section of Birmingham Street. By 1929, fifty-two staff worked here, and handled a daily average of 13,000 phone calls in an area including Humber Bay, the Town of Mimico, the Town of New Toronto, and Long Branch. This Bell Telephone Company building was extended to the east in 1948, and continued to serve Bell until 1981.

80 Birmingham Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Berkeley Street Firehall No.4 1905 This building was designed by architect A. Frank Wickson in the Edwardian Classical style to replace an earlier firehall on this site. Marked by arched gables, it also features rich contrasts in brick and stone, most visible around the grand second-storey window. Fire engines once entered through garage doors (now windows) and fire hoses were dried in the tower, which has since been reduced in size. In 1972, the hall was renovated as a theatre by architect Ron Thom for the Alumnae Theatre Company.

Wall of Alumnae Theatre, on south-west corner of Berkeley Street and Adelaide Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The novelist Robertson Davies (1913-1995) lived here from 1963 to 1981 as the first Master of Massey College

Devonshire Place, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Canadian Bank of Commerce Building 1929-1931 Upon completion, this 34-storey skyscraper was the tallest building in the British Empire and was praised as the "greatest addition to Toronto's increasing, Manhattan-like skyline." It was designed for The Canadian Bank of Commerce jointly by the Toronto firm Darling and Pearson, and by York & Sawyer, the foremost New York City bank architects of the era. Rising in tiers, the building features richly carved Romanesque Revival detailing and a vaulted Main Banking Hall said to be modelled after Rome's Baths of Caracalla. A popular outdoor observation gallery on the 32nd floor - guarded by great carved heads with flowing beards - gave the public unobstructed city views until even taller office towers were built in the 1960s. After The Commerce merged with the Imperial Bank of Canada in 1961, the building became the head office of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.

25 King Street West, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Cathedral Church of St. James In 1796 the first Anglican priest arrived from England to minister to the citizens of York. The following year the Province set aside this piece of land for the building of a church. The present Cathedral, the fourth church erected on this site, opened in 1853, replacing the previous structure destroyed in the Great Fire of 1849. The first Bishop of Toronto, the Right Reverend John Strachan, along with a number of his parishioners, played an important role in the early development of the city and province. Over the years, the cathedral, the Mother Church for Anglicans in the diocese of Toronto, has been a place of worship, prayer and outreach in the heart of a busy community.

Church Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

2622636221 0742773f9d m
Canadian Military Institute Building 1908 This is one of the few remaining early buildings on University Avenue. Across the street from the Armouries (demolished 1963), it was designed in the Beaux-Arts style for the Canadian Military Institute by Chadwick and Beckett, Architects. The facade was originally of brick and stone, with second-floor balconies (now closed in). Founded in 1890, the Institute was dedicated to the professional development of citizen Militia Officers, responsible for leading the under-funded Militia units that formed the bulk of the Canadian Army. It combined a place of collegiality with library, museum, and lecture facilities. Granted a "Royal" prefix in 1948, its membership now includes serving and retired officers, as well as interested civilians. The Canadian Military Institute Building continues to be one of Canada's leading voices concerned with issues of defence, diplomacy, and peace.

426 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Church of Christ 1891 This building was designed by the architecture firm of Knox and Elliot as a Romanesque Revival-style church for a congregation of the Disciples of Christ. Its subsequent uses tell the story of a changing neighbourhood. The church became the Ostrovtzer Synagogue in 1925, and its Jewish congregation replaced the bell tower with the existing domed tower. In 1966, the synagogue became the Chinese Catholic Centre. Eventually acquired by the City of Toronto, the building became the Cecil Street Community Centre in 1978.

Cecil Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Professor of Literature Marshall McLuhan (1911 - 1980), a pioneer in the study of media, communications, and popular culture, lived here from 1955 to 1968.

29 Wells Hill Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects