Abernethy Round Tower. This tower and the similar tower at Brechin, in Angus are the only two round towers of the Irish Celtic type in Scotland. Here the Romanesque windows of the befry suggest that the tower was built in the later 11th Century. Long before this Abernethy was important as a principal seat of a Celtic Bishopric. Malcome Canmore and William the Conqueror met at Abernethy in 1072 possibly here.
The traditional home of the Scottish Landowner was a tower house. Many of these were small and simply planned. This typical tower was built in the 1500s for the Maxwell family. It had originally a kitchen, hall and two upper rooms on top of each other, connected by a stair in the wing.