500180 ee80bc91 120x120
The Toll House This toll house, built about 1870, reputedly replaced an earlier toll house controlling both the Greenfield to Shepley Lane Head Turnpike and the Huddersfield to Woodhead Turnpike.

Toll House, Huddersfield Road, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Lower Mill This building is all that remains of a textile mill complex erected between the late 18th and the early 20th centuries. The mill ceased production in 1993 and the other buildings were demolished when the site was deleveoped for housing

Lower Mill, Lower Mill Lane, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Beast Market Site of the beast market until the early 1900s. From 1725 until 1912, three fairs each year were held in this area.

Hollowgate, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

4142151 2531a19c 120x120
The Nook (Previously the Rose and Crown) Established on this site in 1754 and rebuilt in 1819, this inn stands beside the 1768 turnpike route that crosses the adjacent Ribble Beck via 'Higgin Brig'. The arch of this old bridge can still be seen.

The Nook, 7 Victoria Square, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Harold Wagstaff "The Prince of Centres" 1891-1939 Born in Underbank, he signed at the pump opposite as a professional rugby league player for Huddersfield in 1906, becoming its captain in 1911. He played for England aged 17, and went on to captain the touring sides of 1914 and 1920 and win a total of 21 International caps.

The Shoulder of Mutton, 2 Dunford Road, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

Subjects
500173 ac10f923 120x120
Th'owd Towser This building, on the site of the original church lock-up built in or soon after 1597, has been used as a jail, ambulance station, mortuary and fire station.

Daisy Lane, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

500160 f8703986 120x120
Druids Hall The property was erected in 1846 for The Ancient Order of Druids Friendly Society. From 1849 to 1860 it served as a chapel for the United Methodist Church. Holmfirth Rifle Volunteers then occupied it as a drill hall until 1892. Various uses followed, including as a hotel and for entertainment, until 1917 when the property was acquired and renovated by Holme Valley Masonic Lodge for its own use.

Station Road, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

3971695 8cdd7e46 120x120
The Drill Hall Built in 1891 for E Company, 2nd Volunteer Battalion, Duke of Wellington's West Rising Regiment, it was used also fo entertainment. It was acquired by Holmfirth Urban District Council in 1947 and opened officially on 7 November with the new name "Holme Valley Civic Hall".

Huddersfield Road, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

3971455 382faa6f 120x120
Bamforth & Co. This building was the film studio and warehouse of the firm founded by James Bamforth in 1870. The firm became famous as a producer of lantern slides, a pioneer of motion pictures and a publisher of comic postcards.

Station Road, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Holmfirth Monumental Almshouses These five Almshouses were built and endowed in 1856 as a memorial of the Holmfirth Flood of 1852. The funds, raised by public subscription and a Ladies' Bazaar, were to benefit the elderly poor of good moral character from seven local townships.

78-86 Station Road, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

3971580 3f3053d2 120x120
Holmfirth Technical College Built by public subscription and opened in 1894 it provided technical and manual education outside the elementary system. From 1907 to 1932 it also provided accommodation for Holmfirth's first secondary school until new premises were built in Honley. In 1959 it became a Further Education Centre following the transfer of all technical courses to Huddersfield Technical College.

Huddersfield Road, Holmfirth, United Kingdom

Subjects