6760699813 b45685000d m
The Hull Marina Development Complex was opened by Her Majesty The Queen on 17th July 1987

Railway Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
667305 72075d3b 120x120
One of the four main entrances through the town walls Myton Gate built in the 14th century stood close to here until demolition in the late 18th century

Ask restaurant, corner of Prince's Dockside and Castle Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6875896999 a4ae07ef42 m
Two storey timber railway offices, built in 1904, stood against the red brick area of this wall and were dismantled in 2006 to accommodate the Paragon Interchange, opened in 2007.

On the inside of the north wall of the interchange, Hull, United Kingdom

6812247283 c31824cc3e m
In 1939 the RAF 17 Balloon Centre was established in this area. In 1942 it was renamed as RAF Station Sutton on Hull. From 1943-59 it was home to the RAF School of Firefighting and Rescue. Closed in 1961

Bransholme Library, Northpoint Centre, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
5175858044 44eef466db m
Founded in 1369, the Guild of the Holy Trinity acquired important maritime and charitable functions. The site of Trinity House was occupied prior to 1539 by a Carmelite Friary. Trinity House was granted a Royal Charter in 1541. This building was erected in 1753.

Corner of Posterngate and Trinity House Lane, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6782391929 b104af5872 m
The brindled paving indicated the position of the Town Walls constructed of brick in the 14t century and repeatedly strengthened against threatened invasions. In ruins by the late 18th century they were demolished to permit construction of the docks.

North end of Princes Dock Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6795841915 d678cf5711 m
Pioneer Aviator Amy Johnson (1903-1941) was born here 1st July 1903

St Georges Road, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6875912507 e70e08b2b9 m
Opened in 1848 and substantially enlarged to a design by William Bell in 1904, Paragon Station was the principal Hull passenger station of the North Eastern Railway which, with its dock, cartage, hotel and shipping interests, was a major local employer.

Station concourse, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6673561909 308cfef45e m
Built in 1902 to a design by Benjamin Septimus Jacobs the building at the rear was the Western Synagogue used by the Hull Hebrew community until its closure in 1994

Linnaeus Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6856796207 cba405846d m
Built for the North Eastern Railway and opened on 10 May 1907, The Wilmington Bridge replaced a single track bridge built in 1853 for the York & Midland Railway.

Wilmington Bridge, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6851833821 932d18bfa9 m
Built in 1797 as the town's premier hotel, the Neptune Inn was Hull's Custom House for nearly 100 years

Whitefriargate, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6423947707 d02045b819 m
In recognition of the contribution to the fishing industry by the women of Hessle Road, led by Lillian Bilocca, who successfully campaigned for better safety measures, following the loss of three Hull trawlers in 1968.

Barnabus Court on the southern corner of Hessle Road and Boulevard, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6789726147 04757c77b4 m
In this building in 1859 and 1860 the novelist Charles Dickens (1812-1870) gave selected readings from his many works

New Theatre, Kingston Square, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6789730425 64b4ec8a6f m
Built as the Assembly Rooms in 1830 (design by R. H. Sharp under the direction of Charles Mountain, Arch.) this building became the New Theatre in 1939 and is now owned and run by Hull City Council.

Kingston Square, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6736324655 5765aa2178 m
The brindled paving indicates the position of the town walls constructed of brick in the 14th century and repeatedly strengthened against threatened invasions. In ruins by the late 18th century, they were demolished to permit construction of the docks

Wall running between Humber Dock Street and the Marina, close to the junction with Castle Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6736327829 ec092404e8 m
Humber Dock Promenade. This promenade was opened on 26th April 1988 by Councillor Miss V A Mitchell Lord Mayor of Kingston upon Hull & Admiral of the Humber

Wall running between Humber Dock Street and the Marina, close to the junction with Castle Street, Hull, United Kingdom

6742425359 8dbc05112a m
Shipbuilding has been an important industry in Hull since the 18th century. From the mid 1600s Blaydes Shipyard built whalers, sailing ships, and warships, reputedly including in 1784 the 'Berthia' later renamed the 'Bounty' of mutiny fame

6 High Street (MHSC University of Hull), Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6742426829 e55fd65066 m
The Blaydes family, prominent merchants, shipbuilders and citizens lived here, close to their counting house, shipyard quays and warehouses, in the 17th and 18th centuries. Blaydes House, partially rebuilt c.1760, was restored by the Georgian Society for East Yorkshire in 1982.

Blaydes House, High Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6836069591 2d91e1940b m
This building was erected as a station for the Volunteer Fire Brigade formed in 1887 to assist the regular brigade. The carved firemen's heads are said to be of Captains of the time. The volunteers disbanded in 1891.

Hall Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6833241030 fbac5dfc6a m
On the site of the Old Custom House, this building opened as a Corn Exchange in 1856, architects, Bellamy & Hardy of Lincoln. It reopened as the Museum of Commerce and Transport in 1925.

High Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The west elevation of this building incorporates part of Joseph Rank's mill (1891) designed by Alfred Gelder. Clarence Mill was important in the industrialisation of flour milling, bringing together steam power, large scale mechanisation and import of grain by water transport.

Clarence Mill, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6742423943 49998be560 m
Built 1820 for Hull Dock Company next to the lockpit to Queen's Dock, the Old Dock Offices became inadequate for the expanding port and in 1871 the new offices opened at the western end of the dock.

6 High Street (MHSC University of Hull), Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6851830453 99c6750b68 m
Built circa 1784, and known as 50 Salthouse Lane, this building was from 1828 a branch of the Bank of England. From 1860 it was used as a sailors' home and is now known as 105 Alfred Gelder Street.

Salthouse Lane, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
One of the four main entrances through the town walls, Hessle Gate stood here, spanning a fresh water moat. It was stopped up against threatened invasion from the Scots in 1640, not reopened until 1761 and demolished c1800.

Humber Dock Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6789725117 c93714e453 m
This building operated from 1876 as the Hydraulic Power Station serving the Old Town and other areas. The first hydraulic system laid by Act of Parliament in England, it was also the first public utility in Hull.

Corner of Machell Street and Catherine Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
836851 1c2f316a 120x120
This plaque commemorates the fateful voyage of the paddle steamer Forfarshire from Hull to Dundee on 5th September 1838. P. S. Forfarshire and Grace Darling 1838 Grace Darling saved many lives by her heroic efforts when the ship foundered on the Farne Islands

Pier, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6742421493 6c366b3c58 m
In this building in 1874 Joseph H. Fenner 1835-1886 developed the machine belt manufacturing firm of J. H. Fenner & Co

Chapel Lane, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6749457077 037f51b8ab m
Designed by John Rennie, the dock was completed in 1809 along the line of the medieval town walls. Excavated material from Humber Dock was used to reclaim the area south of Humber Street. The dock was reopened as a marina in 1983

Green Bricks public house, Humber Dock Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
Holy trinity parish church plaque in hull
Construction began in 1285 on the site of an earlier church. Holy Trinity is England's largest parish church by area. The transepts include some of the earliest medieval brickwork in Britain.

Holy Trinity Church, opposite Vicar Lane, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
32914211144 ebe91e5e72 m
Businessman Liberal MP and Philanthropist Thomas R Ferens J P 1847-1930 This Art Gallery is one of his many benefactions

Ferens Art Gallery, Queen Victoria Square, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Founded 1835 in Search House Lane and taken over by Isaac Reckitt in 1840 the former Kingston Starch Works (the site of which is now within Reckitt and Colman's) formed the basis of a wide ranging household products industry

Kingston Works, Dansom Lane South, Hull, United Kingdom

6833240222 43d3ff7919 m
The Maister family were prominent Hull merchants in the 17th and 18th centuries. Maister House was rebuilt after a fatal fire in 1743 with the advice of Lord Burlington. The staircase hall is open to the public during office hours.

Maister House, High Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6749458703 e1b9d2e59c m
In a cottage near his grandfathers mill was born Joseph Rank 1854 - 1943 founder of the milling firm of Joseph Rank Ltd

The windmill on Holderness Road, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6760701103 98d8ce91b6 m
Rapidly expanding trade necessitated the construction of Junction Dock, completed in 1829 and renamed Princes Dock in 1854, to link Queen's Dock and Humber Dock. The designer and engineer was James Walker.

Ask restaurant, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6782395807 57a613c511 m
Built in 1866 at the expense of Charles H. Wilson M.P. the Seamen's Mission was extended in 1926/7 to form the Mariners' Church of the Good Shepherd.

The Mission, Posterngate, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6058694474 59920b2e03 m
Horizontal Steam Engine The single cylinder 'winding engine' was originally sited at the head of the No2 slipway immediately west of the Victoria Dock half-tide basin. It was made in 1866 by Horton and Sons of Leith and was used to draw vessels up from the Humber for repair and fitting out. The engine remained there up to 1971 and was relocated here in 1987.

?, Hull, United Kingdom

14432336677 1c6bdc0d4e m
Built in 1871 by the North Eastern Railway Company, the former emigrant waiting room was used by Scandinavian & Jewish transmigrants en route to North America before the First World War

63 Anlaby Road, Hull, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
J. R. R. Tolkien author of The Lord of the Rings convalesced here (then Brooklands Officers' Hospital) 1917-1918 during his service in the Great War

Dennison Centre, Cottingham Road, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
16498525842 d30413cbf9 m
Oxford University Rouse Ball Professor Mathematician and Astrophysicist Edward Arthur Milne FRS attended Hymers College 1908-1914

Hymers College, Hymers Avenue, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects