Vincennes' Carnegie Library. Designed by local architect John B. Bayard in Collegiate Gothic Style; built 1917-1918. Dedicated in 1919, with 13,518 books and 4,207 registered borrows, as Vincennes Public Library; Public Library located in City Hall since 1889. Modern addition 1976-1977; became Knox County Public Library 1978 [end of side 1 of plaque]. Library has played major role in the community's educational and cultural development. Included in Vincennes Historic District, listed in National Register of Historic Places 1974. One of 1,679 libraries built in U.S. with funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Indiana built more Carnegie libraries than any other state. [end of side 2 of plaque]

corner of North 7th Street and Seminary Street, Vincennes, IN, United States

Mary Clark. Born circa 1801, Clark, a slave, was purchased in Kentucky in 1814 by B. J. Harrison, brought to Vincennes in 1815, and indentured as his servant. In 1816, G. W. Johnston purchased her indenture for 20 years. In 1821, Clark and attorney Amory Kinney petitioned Knox County Circuit Court to terminate her indenture because she was held illegally "as a slave." [side 1 of plaque] Circuit Court ruled Clark "freely" entered into her indenture and had to complete it. Upon appeal, Indiana Supreme Court ruled in November 1821 that Clark's suit proved her service was involuntary, violating Indiana's 1816 Constitution. Court discharged her from service. Ruling contributed to end of indentured servitude in Indiana. Clark died in 1840. [side 2 of plaque]

Vincennes Courthouse, Vincennes, IN, United States

Madison and Indianapolis Railroad. Mandated by Indiana's 1836 Internal Improvement Act, construction began in Madison 1836. Completed along this site 1843; Elizabethtown platted 1845 as a result of the railroad. Completed to Indianapolis 1847. Linked Ohio River and interior of state.

204 Railroad Road between 2nd & 3rd Streets on grassy median, Elizabethtown, IN, United States

Bartholomew County Courthouse [full inscription unknown]

SE corner of courthouse, 234 Washington Street, Columbus, IN, United States

Orinoco Furniture Factory [full inscription unknown]

1720 17th Street, Columbus, IN, United States

Atterbury Army Air Field [full inscription unknown]

In front of chapel at Middle Road and Grissom Avenue, Atterbury Army Air Field, Columbus, IN, United States

Camp Allen 1861-64 [full inscription unknown]

SE corner of Center & Huron Streets at playground entrance, Fort Wayne, IN, United States

Site of Hardin's Defeat [full inscription unknown]

0.3 mile east of US 33 on Carroll Road near Madden Road, Fort Wayne, IN, United States

Home of Philo T. Farnsworth [full inscription unknown]

St. Joseph & E. State Boulevard, Fort Wayne, IN, United States

Wabash and Erie Canal Groundbreaking [full inscription unknown]

1716 West Main Street at Growth Avenue, NE corner, Fort Wayne, IN, United States

Fort Miamis [full inscription unknown]

Guldin Park, Van Buren Street Bridge, SW corner, and St. Marys River at Michaels Avenue, Fort Wayne, IN, United States

Gronauer Lock No. 2

US 24 just beyond east interchange of I-469 bypass, New Haven, IN, United States

The Wayne Trace

6640 N SR 101, Decatur, IN, United States

Geneva Downtown Historic District [full inscription unknown]

Line and High Street, Geneva, IN, United States

Second Baptist Church [full inscription unknown]

1328 9th Street, at Reed Street, Columbus, IN, United States

Booker T. Washington School [full inscription unknown]

NE corner 14th & Union Streets, Columbus, IN, United States

Hartsville College [full inscription unknown]

SE corner of town square, SR 46/East Harrison Street & North Jackson, Hartsville, IN, United States

Private Barton W. Mitchell [full inscription unknown]

SW corner of town square, SR 46/East Harrison Street & North Washington, Hartsville, IN, United States

Lowell Mills [full inscription unknown]

CR 325 W & Driftwood Road at Driftwood River public access site, Columbus, IN, United States

Dan Patch Standard-bred colt (sire Joe Patchen, dam Zelica) foaled 1896 Oxford, Benton County; raised by Daniel A. Messner, Jr. on this farm. A natural pacer, trained for harness racing, a very popular sport in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Dan Patch began his racing career at county fairs in 1900; he became famous in Grand Circuit racing and never lost a race. In 1902, sold to M. E. Sturgis, New York, then to Marion W. Savage, owner of International Stock Food Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota, who used horse's racing fame to market his stock food and many other products from toys to automobiles. Dan Patch's 1906 world record 1:55 mile held for thirty-two years. Was retired from racing 1909 for stud. Took part in exhibitions; died 1916. Erected 1999 Indiana Historical Bureau, descendants of Daniel A. Messner, Jr., Oxford Lions Club, Oxford Citizens and Town Board, Benton County Indiana Historical Society, Inc.

203 South Michigan Road, near intersection of SR 352 & SR 55 at east edge, Oxford, IN, United States

Benton County Courthouse [full inscription unknown]

705 East Sixth Street at east entrance of courthouse, Fowler, IN, United States

New Purchase Boundary (Treaty of St. Mary's) In October 1818, Purchasing Commissioners Lewis Cass, Benjamin Parke and Governor Jonathan Jennings acquired Indian claims on the land shown on this marker. About one-third of modern Indiana was involved in this transaction.

SR 18, 2.5 miles west of US 52, Fowler, IN, United States

Blackford County Courthouse [full inscription unknown]

110 W. Washington Street at south entrance to courthouse, Hartford City, IN, United States

Godfroy Reserve Reserved by U.S. to Chief Francois Godfroy of the Miami Nation of Indians by treaty at St. Mary's, Ohio, 6 October 1818, 3,840 acres on Salamonie River at La Petite Prairie, Harrison Township, Blackford County; reserve lands sold 1827, 1836.

SE corner of Main Street & Huntington Street/SR 18, Montpelier, IN, United States