These are the remains of two lime kilns which were built by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company between 1796 and 1801 to produce lime at reasonable cost for use in mortar and the clay lining of the canal bottom. Limestone, coal and some timber would have been loaded into firing-chambers above, the resulting quicklime raked cut and separated from the ashes under the arches.

Chapel St, Burnley, United Kingdom

Subjects