This was the site of the first stadium in Soweto, officially opened in 1959. For almost 50 years this was a famous home of soccer, associated with a host of sporting greats, and a venue for other sports, entertainment and political events. In June 1976, this was the planned destination of protesting students, but police prevented marchers from reaching the stadium. The original Orlando Stadium was demolished in 2006, to be replaced by a modern new facility.

Mooki Street, Orlando, Soweto, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The first purpose-built public library in Soweto, the Orlando East Public opened in 1950. Built by trainees of the Orlando Vocational Training Centre, it was bigger than the existing public library branches in Johannesburg. At the time, this was probably the most significant public library for Africans in the country. The library received a special gift in 1963, with the donation of the private book collection of Dr. A.B. Xuma, a former ANC President. The facility was upgraded and extended in 2000, and remains the oldest active library in Soweto.

Mooki Street, Orlando East, Soweto, Gauteng, Soweto, South Africa

Cathedral of Sts Constantine and Helen. The Cathedral was built by the Hellenic Community of the then Transvaal for worship in the Greek Orthodox tradition. Designed by Hermann Kallenbach in the Byzantine style appropriate to its patron saints, the Cathedral opened its doors on 5 January 1913. It had taken only six years for sufficient funds to be collected from the small Greek community, who were inspired greatly by their spiritual leader, Archimandrite Arthanasios Nikolopoulos.

Wolmarans Street, Hillbrow, Johannesburg (-26.194167, 28.051100), Johannesburg, South Africa