Black Hall. Kendal's first Alderman lived here in 1575. The house was modernised in 1810 and in 1869 became a brush factory with the sign of a bristly hog.

Stricklandgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Carnegie Library. Andrew Carnegie, 1835-1919, Scottish-American millionaire, became a telegraph boy in Pittsburgh at 14 and subsequently, by investment in sleeping cars, oil and the US iron and steel industry, amassed a vast fortune. From 1901 he owned a castle in Sutherland and devoted his wealth to peace studies, education, and endowments to universities and libraries. Kendal's library building was funded by Carnegie, designed by a Kendal architect, T.F. Pennington, and opened in March 1909.

Stricklandgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
The trees nearby were planted in 2009 in thankful memory of Peter Crewdson (1920-2007) and John Marsh (1931-2008), both long serving members of Kendal Civic Society who loved this town.

Blackhall Road, Kendal, United Kingdom

Kendal Bank. Kendal's first banks, the Kendal Bank of Maude, Wilson and Crewdson in Stramongate and Wakefield's Bank in Stricklandgate both opened on 1st January 1788. Amalgamating in 1840, they erected this building in 1873, the alleyway to the south becoming the New Bank Yard. The firm merged with the Bank of Liverpool which became Martins Bank in 1928 and Barclays Bank in 1969.

9 Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Kendal Market Hall. Kendal was first granted a charter to hold a market by Richard 1st in 1189 and a free market survived until 1978. The market place originally extended as far south as Finkle Street. The Market Hall was built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1887.

Market Place, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Mary Wakefield (1853 - 1910) Mary Wakefield was the daughter of William Wakefield, a Kendal Banker, and Augusta Hagerty, daughter of the American Consul in Liverpool. In 1885 she and her sister Agnes gathered together groups of singers from villages near Sedgwick House, where the family then lived, for a singing competition "for pleasure". From this modest beginning they went on to found the Mary Wakefield Westmorland Music Festival which pioneered a national movement of music festivals to encourage amateur performers. This plaque was erected to celebrate the 150th anniversary of her birth on 19th August 1853 in Wakefield Bank House, Stricklandgate, Kendal.

Town Hall Foyer, Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
The New Shambles. This lane follows an ancient path, Watt Lane, which ran through property owned in the 18th Century by the Trustees of the Market Place Chapel. It became the New Shambles in 1804, when the property was redeveloped as 12 butchers' shops. The Old Shambles, behind the Fleece Inn, was then abandoned. There were no drains from any of the many slaughter houses around the Market place at that time and although the owners paid two shillings and sixpence a week to have the lane cleaned, it soon became known as Stinking Lane. The shop on the east corner of the lane with Finkle Street was built in 1838 as a Fire Station, with arched doorways for the three-pumped engines.

The New Shambles, Kendal, United Kingdom

Prince Charlie's House. Built in 1690, this house was owned during the Stuart rebellion of 1745 by Justice Thomas Shepherd. It was slept in by 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' during his advance on London and again during his retreat when his pursuer, the Duke of Cumberland, slept in the same bed on the following night. In an exchange of fire with the retreating army a highlander and a local farmer were shot.

95 Stricklandgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Friends Meeting House. George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends (Quakers), visited Kendal in 1652 and by his powerful preaching won many followers. They opened their first meeting house on this site in 1688 and a Quaker school in 1698. The present building, designed by Kendal architect, Francis Webster, was erected in 1816 to accommodate 850 people. Kendal Quakers were prominent in business, education and welfare in the town from the 18th century.

Stramongate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Stramongate School. This school, founded by the Society of Friends in 1698, occupied premises beyond this passageway from 1792 to 1932. It has connections with two famous scientists: John Dalton founder of the Atomic Theory and "father of modern chemistry", who taught here from 1781- to 1793 and Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington, pioneer of stellar structure, author of "The Expanding Universe", former Chief Assistant at Greenwich Observatory, Professor of Astronomy at the University of Cambridge, who was born here in 1882, his father then being the Headmaster.

Stramongate School, 52 Stramongate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Stricklandgate House. This house was built about 1776 by Joseph Maude, a Kendal banker and for many years housed the Kendal Savings Bank. In 1854 it was leased to the Kendal Literary and Scientific Society of which Wordsworth and Southey were Founder members and became the town's museum and library.

92 Stricklandgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Woolpack. This former inn took its name from the packs of wool, each containing about 60 fleeces, brought into Kendal on packhorses for making cloth. In the late 18th century new turnpike roads allowed the town to develop as a coaching centre and in 1781 the Woolpack was rebuilt with a new front and sash windows. The archway over the yard entrance was built high enough to allow stage coaches and broad-wheeled eight-horse wagons, which replaced packhorses, to pass beneath. The inn closed in 1977.

Stricklandgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Miller Bridge. The original wooden bridge connecting the town and the castle corn mill was repeatedly carried away by floods until 1743, when it was rebuilt entirely in stone. The present bridge was designed by the architect Francis Webster for the new canal which terminated in Kendal, where the canal head basin included covered wharves, warehouses, stables and workers' cottages. He also designed the bridge over Castle Mill head-race, the house seen opposite (originally the offices and showrooms of a marble-polishing mill) and the iron railings on this side. The foundation stone was laid in May 1818; the bridge was opened in November 1818; and the canal was operating by June 1819.

Kirkland, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nether Bridge. The route south out of Kendal from Kirkland originally crossed this bridge towards Lancaster and eventually London. In 1376 Edward III made a grant of 'pontage', the right to charge tolls, to "the good men of Kirkeby in Kendal for three years in aid of their bridge which is broken down ..." The underside of the bridge shows the original packhorse bridge on the downstream side, a middle section added in 1772 when the turnpike road south was built, and an upstream section added in 1908.

Kirkland, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Revd John Wesley MA first preached in Kendal on Monday 9th April 1753 in a large convenient room where Mr Ingham's society used to meet. A Methodist society was later formed and met in the Old Play House in the Market Place. Later the society moved to The Fold in Stricklandgate and then into a new chapel on this site in 1808. The present chapel opened on Thursday 29th March 1883.

Stricklandgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
ZION CHAPEL. These buildings were designed by local architect, Stephen Shaw, and were opened in October 1898. Market Place Chapel opened in 1720 and became Unitarian in 1756. The Presbyterians left it and moved to Beast Banks Chapel in 1763 and by 1830 were meeting in a chapel in Woolpack Yard. St John's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1897 in Sandes Avenue. There was a Congregational Church in Kendal by 1754. Lowther Street Congregational Chapel opened in 1782, the first Zion Chapel opening in New Inn Yard in 1844. The Congregational and Presbyterian Churches merged to become the United Reformed Church in 1972. Zion and St John's Churches united in 1980 as the Kendal United Reformed Church here in Highgate, with St John's Church closing. It was demolished in 1982.

Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

ABBOT HALL. Abbot Hall was built on a medieval site in the fashionable Palladian style between 1759 and 1762 for Colonel and Mrs. George Wilson, reputedly to the design of Carr of York. Planned as a country house in the town, Abbot Hall soon became Kendal's premier residential address. It was threatened with demolition in the 1930s and 1950s but a charitable trust saved the building and now runs it as an award-winning art gallery.

Abbot Hall, Kendal, United Kingdom

134-136 Highgate. These two houses were built on the site of some old weaving shops by John Davidson of Hill Top in about 1798. Their elegant fronts are typical of the work of Kendal architect Francis Webster.

134 Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
The KENDAL LANCASTER CANAL. This canal, completed in 1819, brought coal into Kendal from Lancashire and carried out limestone and manufactured goods. By providing cheap coal to replace water power with steam power it enabled Kendal's manufacturing industry to expand, the Kendal yards then developing as workshops and workers' housing. The canal terminated at Canal Head with warehouses, wharves and stables, the whole complex being designed by the Kendal architect George Webster. This plaque is mounted on the former canal ticket office. The opening of the Kendal railway in 1847 led to a decline in canal traffic and in 1856 the warehouses became an engineering works. The canal was filled in in 1947.

Canal Head, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
HOLY TRINITY. The earliest parts of this church are 13th century although an earlier church is recorded by Domesday Survey of 1086. Most of the fabric was built about 1400-1600 when the town's cloth trade was at its peak. In 1553 Queen Mary gave the living to Trinity College, Cambridge, which is still its patron. The church is the largest in Cumbria and in the 19th century regularly accommodated about 1100 people.

Kirkland, Kendal, United Kingdom

THE SHAKESPEARE THEATRE. Kendal's first purpose-built theatre, designed by local architect John Richardson, was opened at the top of this yard in 1829. The nationally famous actor Edmund Kean played here in 1832 but general poverty in the town and opposition from Quakers, Presbyterians and Temperance groups forced its closure after five years. It continued in use as a ballroom for many years and was converted to church in 1994.

Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
KENDAL TOWN HALL. On this site once stood White Hall, believed to have been an exchange hall for Kendal's cloth trade with Virginia. It was replaced in 1825 by a new White Hall designed by Kendal architect Francis Webster and incorporating a billiards room, newsroom, lecture hall and ballroom. Converted to the Town Hall in 1859 this forms the southern part of the present building. Extensions were commenced in 1893 when Alderman William Bindloss and Mrs Bindloss made a very generous contribution towards the cost of the alterations and improvements. A new tower was added for the clock and eleven bells which were rung for the first time on the occasion of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee 1897.

Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
From this stone below (locally known as the Ca Steean) proclamations have been made for three centuries at least. It was originally part of an old market cross which stood in the middle of Stricklandgate.

Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Miles Thompson. Miles Thompson, architect, was born in Kendal in 1808. About 1825 he began work as a draughtsman for Francis and George Webster and took over the business in 1846. He died, unmarried, at his house in The Lound in 1868. He designed many public and domestic buildings in Kendal including the old Market Hall, the Almshouses at Sandes Hospital, the Public Washhouses and Baths and the Inghamite Chapel. He is particularly associated with the development of Collin Croft and with the houses on Beast Banks where the figure on the gable of No 21 of a man holding an architect's drawing was placed there by Miles's brother Robert. The original figure disintegrated with age and weather and the replacement was commissioned by the Kendal Civic Society.

Beast Banks, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
ROMNEY'S HOUSE. The portrait painter George Romney, 1734 - 1802, served his apprenticeship in Kendal to Christopher Steele in a studio in Redman's Yard. He married Mary Abbot in Kendal Parish Church. After seven years he left for a career in London and became one of the foremost portrait painters of his day. In 1799 ill health brought him back to his wife who cared for him in this house until after his death.

Milnthorpe Road, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
The SEPULCHRE. Sepulchre Lane lies on the boundary of a medieval chapel close from which this burial ground was bought and enclosed in 1656 by Kendal Quakers for £9.3.0d. It was extended to accommodate Underbarrow's Quakers when their burial ground was ploughed up by a renegade member and was closed to burials in 1855. In 1863 the graves were levelled and part of it was made into a garden. It was altered again in 1989 by Russell Armer Ltd. when they converted the neighbouring school to housing.

Sepulchre Lane, Kendal, United Kingdom

Tanner's Yard. This yard connecting Highgate and the River Kent took its present form in the 1780's when Lowther Street was built. There were then 17 tanyards in Kendal with over 200 tanpits, about 80 of them on the riverside between Miller Bridge and the Parish Church. They provided leather for the curriers, glovers, saddlers, and especially the shoemakers whose guild hall formed part of the New Biggin, a building opposite the present Town Hall which filled the middle of Highgate until its demolition in 1803. Shoemaking has now replaced the textile trade as Kendal's leading manufacturing industry. The yard was resurfaced by South Lakeland District Council in 1990.

Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

WEBSTER'S YARD. This name Webster commemorates Kendal's most distinguished architects. Francis Webster and his son George. In 1788 Francis Webster joined a local mason in premises in this yard. He built the obelisk on Castle How and designed two of the town's bridges, the Friends Meeting House and a number of fine houses. George Webster joined his father in 1818 and designed three of Kendal's churches, the Whitehall Assembly Rooms and the Bank of Westmorland. From 1845 - 1872 the practice was continued by Miles Thompson, the Websters' former draughtsman, who designed Kirkland School, much of Collin Croft, Beast Banks and Workmen's News Room. Sand Aire House, Kent Terrace and Aynam Lodge are among the many other fine buildings in Kendal designed by the Webster Practice. Webster's Yard was developed by Russell Armer Ltd. and designed by Mike Walford.

94 Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
CHANGE BRIDGE. The towpath from Lancaster ended beyond this bridge at a wharf and continued north to the canal basin on the opposite side of the canal. The barge horses would be led up the ramp from the towpath, across the bridge and down the ramp on the other side with the towrope still attached to the barge. The bridge is the only one of its type in Cumbria. Built in 1819, the bridge was restored jointly by Kendal Civic Society and South Lakeland District Council with the aid of a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. It was opened in 2002 in celebration of the Queen's Jubilee.

Lancaster Canal, Kendal, United Kingdom

UNITARIAN CHAPEL. This chapel was built in 1720 for a Presbyterian congregation dedicated to civil and religious liberty. It became prominent in the anti-slavery movement and openly Unitarian in the 1820s. In 1733 its first minister, Dr Caleb Rotherham, founded an academy in which he taught divinity, science and advanced mathematics. The former manse north of the entrance was built 1781 and the chapel was restored in 1882.

Branthwaite Brow, Kendal, United Kingdom

SANDES HOSPITAL. In this yard, Thomas Sandes (1606 - 81), cloth merchant and former Mayor of Kendal, founded a school and eight almshouses for poor widows. The gatehouse, once the master's house, had single storey wings and housed the school and a library in the chamber above the gateway. The houses were rebuilt in 1852 by Kendal architect Miles Thompson. In 1886 the school merged with Kendal Grammar School which was succeeded in 1980 by Kirkbie Kendal School whose trustees still own the property. The datestone shows shearman's tools and the Sandes family arms.

Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
THE NATIONAL SCHOOL. The School was designed by George Webster and was built and run by public subscription. It opened to boys in 1819 for their "education in Religious Knowledge and useful learning". It was the first public day school in Kendal, incorporated with the National Society for promoting "the education of the poor in the principles of the Established Church". Matthew Pyper of Whitehaven endowed the school with £2000. He died in 1821 and, at his wish, was interred in a vault near the centre of the school building. A Girl's School opened in 1824 for instruction in reading, writing and the common rules of arithmetic, singing, knitting and sewing. An Infant's School was opened in 1874. The Schools evolved, merged and eventually became the Central School. From 1874 the buildings were used as an annexe to Vicarage Park School. In 1985 they were closed and a housing complex was built on the site. An original memorial plaque still exists there.

Beast Banks, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Paul Hogarth, RA, artist and writer, was born in this house in 1917. He was the son of a Westmorland hill farmer at Lowgill. He trained at Manchester and at St. Martin's School of Art in London and was elected to the Royal Academy in 1974. He travelled worldwide exhibiting in many countries. As a book illustrator, he worked with famous writers including Brendan Behan, John Betjeman and Grahame Greene. Much of his work was strongly architectural and examples are held in Kendal at the Abbot Hall Art Gallery. He died in 2001.

28 Caroline Street, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
WATERSIDE. The pathway known as 'Waterside' appears on Todd's Map of 1787 as a well-instituted roadway between New Road and the Abbot Hall. When the yards between Highgate and the river were developed to accommodate the new industries which arrived with the industrial revolution of the late 18th and 19th centuries, each of the newly formed 'yards' was provided with a set of steps from Waterside to the river. Although these steps have gained, in the 20th century, the name of 'Wool Washing Steps', access to the river water supply was used by other than the wool trade. The steps surviving into the 21st century were preserved in 2005.

Waterside, Kendal, United Kingdom

CASTLE DAIRY. This house formerly occupied by tenants of the Barons of Kendal, comprises a 14 th century single storey hall with cross wings, embellished as a gentleman's residence in the 16 th century, extended at the rear in the 178 th / 18 th centuries and recently renovated. Its name appears to be a corruption of Castle Dowery, a dower house for widows of the Barony.

Wildman Street, Kendal, United Kingdom

THE BANK OF WESTMORLAND. Founded on wealth generated by Kendal's textile trade the bank opened in 1833 and moved to this site in 1835. Designed by Kendal's leading architect, George Webster, the masonry was to be of Kendal Fell limestone, "finished in the finest manner possible". The bank occupied the ground floor, the manager and his family living above. The lion and its pedestal, constructed in London in artificial stone, were completed in 1840. After sixty years the Bank of Westmorland was absorbed by the London and Midland Bank, then in 1992 by HSBC. It is the oldest purpose-built branch in the HSBC network in England and Wales.

64 Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
GAS METER HOUSE FACADE. Designed by Francis Webster, this façade was erected in 1825 on the gas meter house of the Kendal Gas-Light and Coke Company in Parkside Road. It was preserved when the gasworks was demolished in 1969 and its re-erection here in 1984 was sponsored by North West Gas. The text on the pediment, "Ex fumo dare lucem" (from smoke let light break out), comes from Horace's 'Ars Poetica' (The Art of Poetry). Here applied to gaslight, it referred originally to poetic inspiration.

Peppercorn Lane, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
SOMERVELL GARDEN Funded by the William H. Somervell Trust Fund for Kendal and developed by Kendal Town Council with assistance from Kendal Civic Society. Stonework salvaged from the Netherfield Offices of Somervell Brothers (later K Shoes). Designed by Stephenson Halliday Ltd Stonework donated by L&W Wilson Ltd Constructed by Continental Landscapes Ltd 2009

Riverside, Kendal, United Kingdom

Blindbeck. This stream, probably called 'blind' because its source is hidden in the rock fissures of Kendal Fell, was formerly the boundary between the borough of Kendal and the township of Kirkland. Kirkland, on church land since the Norman conquest, had its own court and regulations. Traders whose goods did not meet Kendal's market standards or who could not afford the fees of the Kendal guilds set up their businesses here. Kirkland thus developed a separate character from Kendal,still recognisable today.

Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Oddfellows Hall. This hall has a long and varied history. The Unicorn Inn originally stood on the site. It was replaced in 1833 by Kendal architect George Webster for the local lodge of the Oddfellows, a Friendly Society for working men, which provided social and educational activities, including the occasional public play. For a time the ground floor was let off as a beer-house, the Nelson Tavern. The Mechanics' Institute took over the hall in 1857. For a short time in 1890-1 it became The People's Palace to provide wholesome entertainment and instruction for the labouring classes. During both World Wards and later, the hall was used by local clubs. Before conversion to housing it had been the Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Dr Manning's Yard. formerly Braithewaite Yard. In this house George Braithwaite, dyer, established a drysalter's business in 1713 supplying dyestuffs, alum, fuller's earth and other technical materials to the local textile trade. Down the yard were workers' cottages, the counting house or office over the archway, a ropewalk, a weaving shed and a dyehouse. The family were noted Quakers and philanthropists and set up a soup kitchen in the 'Hungry Forties' and a School of Industry for poor children. Dr Manning practised here for many years in the early 1900's.

Dr Manning's Yard, Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Shearman House. Opened in 1864, this building was erected by local philanthropists as a public wash-house and baths. Designed by Miles Thompson, the wash-house had facilities for 22 washerwomen and included clothes-horses on rail tracks and two pioneer spin-dryers. it was intended to alleviate the discomforts of washday for working families living in damp and ill-ventilated cottages. There were eight large porcelain baths, the lowest charge for a warm bath being for two young women together at threepence each. The chimney is 70 feet (21.3m) high.

Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Collin Croft. Repaved by Kendal Civic Society during Kendal Charter Year and European Architectural Heritage Year 1975

Beast Banks, Kendal, United Kingdom

Angel Yard. Angel Yard is all that is left of the Angel Inn which stood on this site until the 1980s. Once one of Kendal's oldest hostelries, its premises, brewhouse, stabling and outbuildings ran behind Lowther Street, an area now occupied by outh Lakeland District Council's offices and car park. The Angel Inn is said to have taken its name from 1745 when Bonnie Prince Charlie's troops passed through the town. Some soldiers broke into the Inn and the occupants fled, leaving behind a little child. On seeing an angel standing beside the child brandishing a drawn sword the soldiers ran away in fear of divine punishment

Angel Yard, Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Redman's Yard. This yard, named after Alderman Redman, Mayor of Kendal in 1749 and 1760, was the cradle of the Kendal school of portrait painters. The celebrated George Romney (1734-1802) was apprenticed to Christopher Steele in a studio here and Daniel Gardner, Redman's nephew, was taught to paint in the same studio. Portraits by all three artists are displayed at Abbot Hall Art Gallery, Kirkland.

Redman's Yard, Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Wainwright's Yard. Alfred Wainwright was born in Blackburn in 1907, becoming Kendal's Borough Teasurer in 1948. He loved maps and in 1930 visited the Lake District where his life was dramatically changed. In 1955 he published the first of his famous 'Pictorial Guides to the Lakeland Fells'. The text was written in his characteristic, clear hand which was augmented by meticulous maps and sketches. The books were printed, and later published, by 'The Westmorland Gazette' in Kendal, selling over one million copies. For some years he was curator of Kendal Museum. In 1984 he opened 'Kapellan' as headquarters of Animal Rescue Cumbria. He died in 1991.

Wainwright's Yard, Highgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

Subjects
Market Place. The Market Place was once entered from Highgate by two lanes. Cheapside and Mercers' Lane. Between them stood shops with the market cross and the pillory outside them in Highgate. The stocks stood behind the shops and the Moot Hall, serving as town hall and court room, was on the corner of Mercers' Lane. In 1754 the shops were replaced by a chapel, a covered market and, underground, the "Black Hole", a dungeon used until 1836.

Market Place, Kendal, United Kingdom

Elephant Yard. This land was once the property of the cloth merchant Thomas Sandes who also owned Grandy Nook on Low Fellside and built the Sandes Almshouses in Highgate. After his death in 1681 his house on Stricklandgate became the Elephant Inn. It was rebuilt c1820 with a dining room seating 100 and with stabling for 25 horses. In the 1800's around 60 peoples lived in the yard behind the inn, which closed in 1909.

Elephant Yard, Stricklandgate, Kendal, United Kingdom

25, Finkle Street. Arthur W. Simpson, 1857-1922, Kendal Quaker, craftsman in wood, opened his first workshop here in 1885 making church and domestic furniture. He became an apprentice carver with Gillows of Lancaster and a journeyman with William Aumonier in London. He followed the aesthetic tradition of the Arts and Crafts Movement, simplicity being his guiding principle. Examples of his work may be seen in museums, schools, churches and private houses.

25 Finkle Street, Kendal, United Kingdom

39-45 Branthwaite Brow. Cast by a Kendal iron founder, John Winder, these iron-plate fronts were erected to save space as part of a street widening scheme ordered by the Board of Health in 1851.

39-45 Branthwaite Brow, Kendal, United Kingdom