Col. Frederick Geiger/ Early Butchertown. Col. Frederick Geiger(1753-1832)- In 1796, Revolutionary War veteran Frederick Geiger came to Jefferson Co. from Md. Settled in Butchertown in 1807. He raised a company of Ky. Mounted Riflemen for Gen. W. H. Harrison’s 1811 Indian Campaign. Wounded at Battle of Tippecanoe. Col. in the War of 1812 & wealthy landowner. Buried in Cave Hill Cem. (Reverse) Early Butchertown- Butchertown land is part of the 1774 survey claimed by Hancock Taylor. By 1797, Henry Fait had a house and a saw & grist mill on Beargrass Creek. Frederick Geiger bought the mill in 1801 and ran a public ferry to Indiana after 1802. After 1815, the neighborhood was a pork packing site for steamboats engaged in the Ohio River trade.

1607 Frankfort Ave., Louisville, Frankfort, KY, United States

Old Episcopal Burying Ground. Purchased in 1832 by Christ Church trustees to serve its members, it is among the oldest graveyards in Lexington. Some 600 people were buried here between 1833-1879, including over 50 Christ Church members who died in the cholera epidemics of 1833 and 1849. Many victims were deposited for burial in unmarked mass graves. (Reverse) Among those buried here are soldiers from the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War. Others include artists, builders, educators, lawyers, and clergy. The Gothic cottage, built in 1867 and designed by John McMurtry, housed a sexton who served as the caretaker.

East Third St., Lexington, KY, United States

Southern Parkway/ Iroquois Park. Southern Parkway- Originally named Grand Boulevard. Completed on June 14, 1893, it was 150 feet wide. Constructed of packed dirt and watered daily to keep the dust down. Lined with large trees, flanked to the east with a bicycle path, to the west with a bridle path. Southern Pkwy.was intended to connect growing city with Iroquois Park to south. (Reverse) Iroquois Park- Designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, Iroquois Park is one of the flagship parks in the Louisville Olmsted Park system. Originally known as Jacob’s Park, after land was purchased by Mayor Charles Jacob in 1889. With scenic overlooks, this 725 acre park is Louisville’s largest Olmsted Park.

Southern Parkway at Newcut Rd., Louisville, KY, United States

Campaign to End Racial Segregation in Louisville. The full-scale assault on racial segregation in Louisville began in Feb. 1961, when local high school students staged non-violent demonstrations. Under leadership of the NAACP & CORE, they demanded passage of laws to end public racial discrimination. Fourth St. was hub of community activity where many protests and arrests occurred. (Reverse) Negotiations with city officials, demonstrations, an economic boycott, voter registration, and issue oriented voting led to the passage, on May 14, 1963, of a law making it unlawful for anyone to be refused service in a public place because of race, color, religion, or national origin.

610 S. Fourth St., Louisville, KY, United States

Leonard Knott Homestead. Knottsville, Kentucky- On this site in 1827, Leonard Knott built the first house in Knottsville. James Millay named the town in 1833 when he opened a store and post office nearby. In 1834, the name was officially set in the Kentucky Legislature by the Honorable William R. Griffith, and the town was formally laid out by Millay and Griffith in 1836. (Reverse) In 1795, James Knott emigrated from Maryland to Cox’s Creek Settlement in Nelson County, Ky., as part of the "League of Catholic Families.” Born in 1797, his son Leonard married Mary M. Drury and moved to Daviess County in 1826. They settled on this site in 1827 and were founding members of St. Lawrence Catholic Church.

9964 Highway 144, Knottsville, ,

Northern Kentucky's First Hospital. Catholic converts Henrietta Cleveland and Sarah Peter, with Bishop George Carrell, founded St. Elizabeth Hospital on this site in Jan. 1861. The Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis converted a vacant grocery store to serve those in need, including Civil War soldiers, slaves, & orphans. St. E marked 150 years in 2011.

25 East 7th St., Covington, ,

North Fork Baptist Church. Constituted May 1801 by its first Pastor, George Eve, along with William Hickman and 19 others. Joined Franklin Baptist Assn. in 1848. Present church built in Switzer circa 1871. ½ mile from the original log structure. Has prevailed as one congregation through wars, pestilence & other crises for over two centuries.

3660 Rocky Branch Rd., Frankfort, KY, United States

St. Boniface Parish. Founded in 1836 to serve German Catholics and named for the Apostle of Germany, St. Boniface is the oldest Catholic parish in Louisville existing under its original name. The Gothic-style church, dedicated in 1900, was designed by D. X. Murphy and Brothers, who also designed St. Boniface Friary, built in 1899. (Reverse) In 1849, parishioners established the church’s rich tradition of charitable outreach by co-founding what is now St. Joseph Catholic Orphan Society. Franciscan Friars oversaw parish from 1849 to 1998. Parish school was built in 1908; staffed by Ursuline Sisters until closing in 1967. Friary converted to apartments in 1991.

531 East Liberty St., Louisville, KY, United States

Tanner Station- 1784. David Tanner, early Ky. pioneer, landowner, and entrepreneur owned a salt works on the Lower Blue Licks. A fort built over a spring protected the salt workers from Indian attacks. Settlers such as Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton stopped here to make or buy salt as they traveled the Buffalo Trace from Boonesborough to Maysville.

Highway 68, Carlisle, ,

Civil War in Bardstown. On October 4, 1862, Terry’s Texas Rangers, CSA, under the command of Col. John Wharton, were posted north of Bardstown at Fairgrounds crossroads on the Louisville Pike, to intercept units of Buell’s Union Army of the Ohio, moving south. Bragg’s CSA Army of Mississippi was withdrawing from Bardstown, moving east toward Harrodsburg. (Reverse) The Ranger’s rear-guard action found itself confronted with far superior numbers. Wharton ordered the Rangers into columns and gave the bugle command to charge. The bold action broke the Union lines, scattering the cavalry troopers and infantry into disarray. This was a victory for the Texas Rangers who fought next at Battle of Perryville.

1468 North 3rd St., Bardstown, KY, United States

Midway Colored School. Erected in 1872, this was the first church building for Pilgrim Baptist Church. In 1911, the Woodford Co. Bd. of Ed. purchased this property in “Haydensville” to be used as Midway Elem. School for African Americans. In 1936, sold to Midway Bd. of Ed. School operated for 43 years, closing at the end of 1953-54 school year. Has since been used as laundry, beauty shop, and lodge.

215 East Walnut St., Midway, ,

Col. Richard Taylor/ George Rudy. Col. Richard Taylor(1744-1829)- Early in 1792, Revolutionary War veteran, Richard Taylor, bought 175 acres bounded by Rudy Lane. Land was given to Isaac Shelby for his father’s Colonial Wars service. Here Taylor built a brick house, which he sold to George Rudy in late 1795. He then moved across Brownsboro Rd. to his Springfield farm. Father of Zachary Taylor. (Reverse) George Rudy(1744-1806)- Pennsylvanian George Rudy and his son-in-law, John Herr, bought 175 acres here in 1795, naming the survey line Rudy’s Lane in 1797. Herr & Rudy, who were blacksmiths, farriers, roadbuilders, & farmers, once owned all of present-day Windy Hills. Six family homes are still standing. Rudy Lane became a Jefferson County road in 1909.

Brownsboro Rd. & Rudy Ln., Louisville, KY, United States

Mineral Mound Home Site. Home of Willis B. Machen (1810-93). He was a member of the Kentucky Constitutional Convention 1849, Ky. Senate 1853, Ky. House of Rep. 1855-61, Confederate Congress 1861-65, US Senate 1872-73. He was one of only a few that served in both CSA and US Congresses. His granddaughter, Zelda Sayre, was F. Scott Fitzgerald’s wife. (Reverse) Mineral Mound was named for a mineral spring on the farm. During the Civil War, the home flew the Confederate flag, and as a result, it was damaged by Union gunboats from the Cumberland River. R. S. Mason, a prominent Lyon County businessman, owned the estate from 1917 until it burned in 1947.

Mineral Mound State Park, 48 Finch Ln., Eddyville, ,

Lincoln School. A hallmark of the black community, it was dedicated on September 8, 1940 and G. R. Houston served as its first principal. In 1944, county schools merged with Lincoln, which brought about crowded conditions. School added onto several times from 1955 to 1961. It served the Harristown district until schools were integrated in 1965. (Reverse) The school theme was “so teach us, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.” Colors were purple and gold. School was the focus for community activities and a great source of pride for a quarter of a century. Current two-story portion of the original school building was saved, thus preserving the black heritage of Lincoln.

601 John J. Johnson Ave., Franklin, ,

Crash of TWA Flight 128. TWA flight 128, tail #N821TW, was making an approach in light snow when it crashed into an orchard approximately 1,000 feet north of here, on November 20, 1967 at 8:57 p.m. The four-engine Convair 880 was en route from Los Angeles to Cincinnati. 70 people perished, 5 of whom were Kentuckians. 2 crew members & 10 passengers survived. (Reverse) The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) ruled pilot error as the cause of the crash. It remains the worst accident in Kentucky aviation history. This resulted in the construction of an Approach Lighting System (ALS) for runway 18, which was completed in July 1969.

900 block of Petersburg Rd. (Rt.20), Hebron, ,

Crash of AAFlight 383. American Airlines flight 383, tail #N1996, was making an approach in rain when it crashed into this hillside on November 8, 1965 at 7:01 p.m. The 3-engine Boeing 727 Astrojet was en route from New York to Cincinnati. 58 people perished, four of whom were Kentuckians. One crew member and three passengers survived. (Reverse) This was the second in a series of four 727 crashes within 7 months. The Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) ruled pilot error as the cause. As a result, all airlines modified their training manuals, and pilots were re-oriented to the characteristics of this safe aircraft. A new and safer 7800-foot east-west runway was completed in April 1967.

5500 block of River Rd. (Rt. 8), Constance, ,

Thomas Hunt Morgan (UK). Born in Lexington, Ky. on September 25, 1866, Morgan was a nephew of Confederate General John Hunt Morgan. He attended the State College of Kentucky(University of Kentucky) during the 1880s. Morgan graduated as valedictorian in 1886 with a B.S. and an M.S. in 1888. He earned a Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University in 1890. Class of 2010. (Reverse) Thomas Hunt Morgan, 1866-1945- Morgan discovered the basic mechanisms of heredity and was a pioneering geneticist, winning the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1933. In 1966, the University named the new Thomas Hunt Morgan School of Biological Sciences for him. Class of 2010.

UK campus, Thomas Hunt Morgan Biology Building, Lexington, KY, United States

John May (1760-1813). Born in Lancaster, Pa. to immigrant German parents. Joined 4th Virginia Infantry in fall of 1776. Saw Geo. Washington’s retreat across the Hudson in Nov. Served until 1779. Married Sarah Phillips in 1780. Settled in Shelby Valley in 1800. Sarah swore to a declaration for a widow’s Rev. War pension in Pike Co. Court in 1845. (Reverse) John May Family- Three sons stayed in E. Kentucky: Samuel in Prestonsburg served in the Ky. House and Senate in the 1830s; Thomas built a state road from Pikeville into Shelby Valley, was JP and sheriff of Pike Co.; Reuben’s farm became Maytown on Beaver Cr. Many descendants served as officials in Floyd and Pike Co. into the 20th century.

Collins Highway, Pikeville, ,

Muhammad Ali's Home Site. Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr. was born on January 17, 1942 at Louisville General Hospital. He grew up and lived here at 3302 Grand Ave. with his parents, Odessa & Cassius Clay, Sr., and brother, Rudolph. Ali attended public schools that were mostly black, including Central High School. (Reverse) “EDUCATION BRINGS SELF-RESPECT” – Muhammad Ali- The Clay family was part of the black middle class of West End Louisville, which was racially separated. Yet here is where young Clay’s values were instilled, transforming him into three-time heavyweight champion and world-renowned humanitarian, Muhammad Ali.

3302 Grand Ave., Louisville, KY, United States

Fort-on-Shore. This site marks the location of Fort-on-Shore, which was the the first building erected on the mainland when General George Rogers Clark and the settlers of Corn Island came ashore. The stockade and fort, built 1778-79 on orders from General Clark, represented the first settlementin what is now Louisville. (Reverse) Corn Island was located in the Ohio River, just adjacent to this site at what is today Twelfth St. Stockade was occupied by troops of the American Revolution for the next four years. In 1782, Fort-on-Shore was replaced by Fort Nelson, a much larger fortification built north of present-day Main St.

Rowan St. (between 11th & 12 Sts.), Louisville, KY, United States

Cabbage Patch Settlement. Serving children and families of the Cabbage Patch, as the neighborhood was known at the time. Founded 1910 as Christian-based charity by Louise Marshall, great-great-granddaughter of Chief Justice John Marshall. Director until her death in 1981. Original mission was located on Ninth St. Moved to Sixth St. in 1929. (Reverse) Alice Hegan Rice, author of the 1901 novel, Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch, was member of founding board of directors. Her former home on St. James Court shares an alley with present site. In 2010, Cabbage Patch Settlement House celebrated 100 years of profoundly changing the lives of local children and families.

1413 South Sixth St., Louisville, KY, United States

Douglas Park Racetrack. Developed and owned by Col. Jim Douglas, it opened in 1895 as a trotting track. Directly competed with Churchill Downs after 1906, when it changed to a Thoroughbred racing venue. Track drew national praise, from 1912-18, as home of the renowned Kentucky Handicap. In 1919, became part of Kentucky Jockey Club and was controlled by Churchill Downs. Closed in 1958.

Second St. & Kenwood Way, Louisville, KY, United States

Kosmosdale- Est. 1905. Company town of Kentucky’s only Portland cement manufacturer. Philadelphia industrialist Samuel Horner Jr. developed housing for white and black workers of his Kosmos Portland Cement Co. in rural Jefferson County. A rail station, post office, churches, a school, and a company store served Kosmos mill workers and river men. Sponsored by Metro Councilman Bob Henderson (Reverse) A fleet of boats, each with a name beginning with a “K”, towed cement, general freight, and rock quarried by Kosmos in Meade Co. In 1957, the Horner heirs sold the company, after plant was union organized. Kosmosdale village was razed as the plant was rebuilt in the early 1970s. Many relocated after 2-year strike against former owner, 1982. Dedicated to Kosmos workers & their descendants

15300 block of Dixie Highway, Louisville, KY, United States

House of the Loving Heart. Erected in 1927-28, this colonial revival mansion was built in memory of local resident Rebecca Wells Milliken, by her philanthropist daughter. Mary Louise Milliken and husband Samuel Canning Childs also built hospitals and churches throughout the U.S. and abroad. Officially opened in April 1928 in an elaborate two-day celebration. (Reverse) Milliken Memorial Community House is thought to be first privately donated community house in America built for that purpose. In addition to providing suitable location for civic groups to meet, the elaborate structure includes an auditorium, ballroom, & library, which was the first in Todd Co. Designed by Geo. Koyl of Marr & Holman Architects.

200 block of West Main St., Elkton, ,

T. C. Cherry Elementary. Named for Dr. Thomas Crittenden Cherry, who was superintendent of the Bowling Green schools for 32 years (1905-37). T. C. Cherry Elem. began educating children in the fall of 1950. It housed grades K-8, which included the first kindergarten offered by Bowling Green public schools. (Reverse) The influence of Dr. Cherry is still felt today, as T. C. Cherry Elementary continues to educate the children of this community. The new T. C. Cherry Elementary opened on August 8, 2009. “The urge to know is a glorious fever. Fortunate is the youth who has caught it.” -Thomas C. Cherry

1001 Liberty Way, Bowling Green, ,

Civil War Skirmish. On June 7, 1863, a 70-man scouting party of 5th Ind. (Union) Cavalry & 200 men of 1st Brigade of Morgan’s Cavalry skirmished here on farm of Mrs. F. E. Wood. Union losses were 2 killed, 4 wounded, and 15 taken prisoner. Confederates suffered no losses and freed 9 CSA prisoners. They pursued the Union soldiers to within six miles of Glasgow.

1608 Stockton St., Bowling Park, Edmonton, ,

Cromwell Consolidated School. Built in 1921 by Sublett & Hafner contractors for a sum of $9,000. Consisted of four classrooms with basement housing a coal furnace. School originally had grades 1-10; grades 11 & 12 were added in 1924. In 1929, a gym, two classrooms, & stage were added. Later, hand-dug basement under the original four rooms housed a kitchen, lunchroom, classrooms, and restrooms. (Reverse) In 1955, grades 9-12 were moved to Beaver Dam High School. Grades 1-8 stayed at Cromwell until the school burned on Feb. 28, 1969. Students finished the school year in local churches. In 1970, the community purchased this land for a ball park and playground. Presented by the Cromwell School Alumni in honor of all who attended from 1921-1969.

5901 U.S. Hwy. 231 S., Cromwell, ,

William Prince, 1752-1810. Born in Virginia, his family moved to Spartanburg Co., S.C. in 1768. During the Revolutionary War, he served as captain in Col. Benjamin Roebuck’s S.C. Spartan regiment. After completing his military duty, he led a party of family & friends through Cumberland Gap. In 1782, they settled on Red River in Tenn. (Reverse) Founder of Princeton- In 1797, Prince explored area in Ky. called Eddy Grove, on Eddy Creek. He found a large spring and fertile land. He moved his family to Kentucky the next year. Prince’s Town was established in 1805. After his death, his widow gave 50 acres on which the first courthouse was built. The town later became known as Princeton.

Corner of Franklin and E. Market Sts., Princeton, ,

St. Romuald Church. Founded in 1810 by Fr. Charles Nerinckx, a Catholic missionary from Belgium. It is the oldest parish remaining at one location in the Diocese of Owensboro. Original 3 acres of land donated by Zachariah Mattingly. First log church built in 1810; second church built in 1841, outgrown by congregation; third and present church built between 1897-1900.

394 N. Hwy. 259, Hardinsburg, ,

Utah School. Site of one of the first schools in Casey Co. Est. in the 1830s in a log building, was used as church and school. Around the Civil War, school dist. divided into Durham and Utah districts. This became the Utah district school. Area districts continued to be split, and, by 1912, the log schoolhouse was no longer used. County then had one brick & 75 frame schools.

Fishing Creek Road, 1 mi. east of Mt. Olive, ,

First Baptist Church. The organization of First Baptist began March 1851, when Lancaster Baptist Church granted enslaved members petition for a black preacher to conduct their service. The slaves were organized under Rev. Bob Irvine with permission to preach to and baptize slaves. In 1854 they were granted a separate service, held on Sunday evenings. (Reverse) In 1866, several black members applied for letters of dismissal to form their own church. Petition was granted & by 1870, all black members had applied for & received letters of dismissal. The first meeting place was located at the corner of N. Campbell & Buckeye Rd. In 1871, present structure built on South Paulding St. in Duncantown.

South Paulding St., Lancaster, ,

Ursuline Sisters & Academy. Sister Salesia Reitmeier brought the Ursuline Sisters to Kentucky in 1858 from Straubing, Bavaria and established the motherhouse (headquarters) on this site. Over 1,000 Ursuline Sisters have made major contributions to education, especially for women, in Kentucky, across our nation, and in Peru, South America. (Reverse) The Ursuline Sisters opened the Ursuline Academy for girls on this site in 1859. Over 7,000 young women graduated from the academy, taking with them the values and spirit of U. A. The academy closed in 1972. The building complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

806 East Chestnut St., Louisville, KY, United States

Pennsylvania Run Presbyterian Church and Cemetery. Started by Presbyterian families who came from Pennsylvania to Kentucky in the 1780s. The first church was a log structure built in the 1790s. The present church was built in 1840. It is one of few churches that survived from 19th century and is one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in Louisville. (Reverse) The cemetery was on this site by 1795. This is the earliest date on an existing tombstone which marks the grave of William Cummins, one of the organizers of the church. Cemetery & church were designated as Metro Historic Landmarks & were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

8405 Pennsylvania Run Rd., Louisville, KY, United States

Site of Melber School. Site of 1st Melber school building in 1897. Became Melber Jr. H.S. in 1903. Building burned on Oct. 1, 1929. New brick building opened Aug. 25, 1930. Between 1937-1954, Melber served grades 1-12, and between 1954-1963, elem. grades. Melber Elem. School consolidated with Lowes High School in 1963. (Reverse) School Consolidation- Early Ky. school districts were very small. System abolished in 1908 in favor of county school system. After 1920s, consolidation common in Ky. Changes in agric. & out-migration contributed. Pupils of outlying districts transported to Melber & Lowes. By 1930, state standards for teachers began, and school year increased to 7 mos.

11735 State Route 339 N., Melber, ,

Highland United Methodist Church. The oldest church congregation in Ft. Thomas. Began in the home of Wm. & Alice Taliaferro in 1830. In 1832, log structure was built for Sunday services & served as first school in the area during the week. 1850-52, frame church building was erected on N. Ft. Thomas Ave. near Holly Lane. In 1900, the present building was built on this site. (Reverse) From 1900-1915, all Highlands High School baccalaureate & graduation services were held in this church. The first kindergarten in the city met here until it moved to Moyer in 1931. At least 148 men and women from the church served in WWII. After Highlands High School burned in 1962, church housed the 7th & 8th grades for rest of year.

314 North Ft. Thomas Ave., Ft. Thomas, KY, United States

Lillian H. South, 1879-1966. A native of Warren Co., Ky., she exerted a powerful influence on public health in Ky. South earned her MD in 1904 and returned to Bowling Green to practice medicine, establishing St. Joseph’s Hospital in her family’s home on 12th St. She served as state bacteriologist from 1911-1951. (Reverse) Dr. South earned national acclaim with her research on hookworms, which led to her election as the 1st female VP of the AMA in 1913. In 1922, she began the first lab tech training program in the US. She led the movement to ban the use of the public drinking cup. As early as the 1930s, she championed the use of vaccines. Sponsored by the Warren County Medical Society For more information, see ExploreKYHistory: Dr. Lillian South

Hospital Hill (Main St.), Bowling Green, ,

Alonzo "Lonnie" Clayton. African American Jockey- On May 11, 1892, at the age of 15, he became the youngest jockey to win the Kentucky Derby. He rallied Azra to an impressive victory at 2:41.5. Won over 24 stakes races from 1891-98. He rode in 3 more Ky. Derbies, 1893-97. In the fall of 1893, he was honored with the Churchill Downs jockey crown. (Reverse) Born in Kansas City, Mo. in 1876, he followed his brother into the riding profession. At age 12, he went to Chicago to become an exercise rider. With his first win in 1891, he came to Louisville to ride for Bashford Manor Stables, which stood here from 1887-1970. Had 4 major victories in 2 years he rode for them. He died in 1917.

2100 Bashford Manor Lane, Louisville, KY, United States

Cherokee State Park. Proposed in 1946 & opened in 1951, the only state park in Kentucky developed for African Americans. Closed by 1964, after Gov. Combs 1963 Exec. Order ended segregation in public facilities. 300 acres, beach, rental cottages, kitchen & dining hall, & picnic area. 2000 attended opening. Black families near and far vacationed here. (Reverse) Known as the state park for Kentucky’s “Negro” citizens. Cherokee Park was a product of “Jim Crow” segregation. Built when African Americans fought to integrate recreation facilities in Louisville and other parts of Kentucky. Some thought park overdue. Others thought Cherokee an obstacle to full equality.

Cherokee State Park, Aurora, ,

John Samuel Darrough. Born in Maysville on April 6, 1841. His family moved to Iroquois Co., Illinois in 1852. He enlisted in 1862 and served in Co. F, 113th Illinois Infantry where he rose to the rank of Sergeant. He was awarded the Medal of Honor on Feb. 5, 1895. The citation read: “Saved the life of a captain.” He died on August 14, 1920. (Reverse) John S. Darrough received the highest military award for his actions on the Tennessee River at Eastport, MS. during the Civil War. On Oct. 10, 1864, while trying to dismantle bridge & railroad tracks, his regiment was attacked by a Confederate battery. Retreating under heavy fire, Darrough spotted a helpless comrade & rescued him.

Corner of 2nd & Limestone Sts., Maysville, KY, United States

Hazael Tucker Farm. The Tucker clan came to Jefferson County circa 1840. They were leaders in the local agricultural community. The farm possesses patterns of 19th century rural life architecture, farming practices evident in the surviving farm, and field patterns which are representative of a thriving 19th century Jefferson County farm. Presented by Hollenbach-Oakley, LLC

Tucker Station Rd., Louisville, KY, United States

Louisville Water Company. Filtration Plant- In the late 1800s, Louisville Water Company pioneered research in the filtration of drinking water. The Crescent Hill Filtration Plant opened in July 1909 as a result of the work of Chief Engineer Charles Hermany & George Warren Fuller, who developed “rapid sand filtration.” Fuller is known as the “father of sanitary engineering.” (Reverse) Reservoir and Gatehouse- In 1879, Louisville Water Company opened the Reservoir & Gatehouse as the first step to develop the purification process for drinking water. The Reservoir allowed sediment from the Ohio River water to naturally settle. Inside the Gothic-style Gatehouse are valves that controlled the flow of water into and out of the Reservoir.

Reservoir & Frankfort Ave., Louisville, Frankfort, KY, United States

Christ Church Cathedral. First Episcopal church in Ky., founded in 1796. Present Gothic structure, completed in 1848, was built by John McMurtry. Thomas Lewinski, architect. The Rev. James Moore was first rector and first president of Transylvania Univ. The Diocese of Ky. was divided into two dioceses in 1895. Christ Church became the Cathedral of the new Diocese of Lexington. (Reverse) Early Parishioners- Henry Clay, statesman and orator,known as “The Great Compromiser”; John Bradford, editor of the first newspaper in Kentucky; John Wesley Hunt, merchant and financier; John Hunt Morgan, “Thunderbolt of the Confederacy”; Laura Clay, women’s rights advocate. All worshipped at and contributed to the growth of Christ Church.

166 Market St., Lexington, KY, United States

Margaret I. King Library. Margaret Isadora King, 1879-1966- Salutatorian of the class of 1898, King became the first librarian of the University in 1912. She expanded the collection from a single room to over 400,000 volumes by 1948. She also served as an instructor in both Library Science and English. Class of 2009 (Reverse) Opened in 1931, and named to honor Margaret I. King in 1948, the King Library served as the main library for the University of Kentucky until the William T. Young Library opened in 1998. Class of 2009

UK campus, Margaret I. King Library, Lexington, KY, United States

Scotia Mine Disaster. One of the worst mine disasters in U.S. history. Faulty equipment ignited methane & coal dust due to lack of proper ventilation. On Mar. 9 & 11, 1976, twin explosions took the lives of 26 coal miners and federal mine inspectors in the Scotia mines located nearby. This led to the passage of the Federal Mine Safety & Health Act of 1977. (Reverse) In honor of those who lost their lives: R.M. Sammons, K. Kiser, G. Tussey, D. Gibbs, J. Williams, T.R. Scott, E.S. Combs, R. McKnight, D. Widner, E. Galloway, K. Turner, W. Turner, L.D. McKnight, G. Barker, D. Boggs, J. Hackworth, V. Coots, J. Sturgill, C. Polly, R. Griffith, M. Sturgill, D. Creech, L. Peavy, J.W. Sturgill, I.G. Sparkman, and J.B. Holbrook.

Hwy 119, Eolia, ,

Lexington Historic Distillery District. Started in 1869 by the Headley and Farra Company. Continued by James E. Pepper & Company in 1879. In the late 1800s, the James E. Pepper Distillery sold whiskey to over 90 brokerage houses across the U.S. It sold under a number of different names & labels. In 1933, purchased by Schenley Products Corp. of NY. Presented by Lexington Directions Inc. (Reverse) Water from Town Branch provided steam power and McConnell Springs provided water for the whiskey. The distillery closed in 1962. The Distillery District was a major whiskey producer for over 100 yrs. with storage capacity for 150,000 barrels of bourbon. It remained in service until 1976. Presented by Lexington Environmental Commission

899 Manchester St., Lexington, KY, United States

Battles of Cynthiana. 1st Battle of Cynthiana- During CSA Col. John H. Morgan’s 1st KY Raid, on July 17, 1862, 875 CSA hit town via the Georgetown Pike. 350 US troops & Home Guard defended town from houses. Morgan attacked across Licking River and outflanked US troops, who gave up after 2 hours. Approx. 40 CSA, 90 US killed & wounded. Morgan was surprised because the US defense was unexpectedly strong. (Reverse) 2nd Battle of Cynthiana- In mid-1864, Morgan raided KY from VA. Discipline had broken down and some CSA robbed a Mt.Sterling bank before coming here on June 11. CSA defeated Union defenders and burned part of town to drive defenders out of houses. Morgan’s men were routed the next day north of town. Defeated, the CSA fled back to VA. For more information, see ExploreKYHistory: The Battles of Cynthiana

US 27 near John Hunt Morgan bridge, Cynthiana, ,

Congressmen Buried in Evergreen. John Wooleston Tibbatts, Democrat, served in Congress from 1843-1847. He sponsored bill to annex Texas. He voted to declare war on Mexico, then enlisted & fought in Mexico. Thomas Laurens Jones, Democrat, served in Congress 1867-71 and 1875-77. Unsuccessful as Democratic nominee for Ky. governor in 1883. (Reverse) Albert S. Berry was Newport mayor prior to serving in Congress, 1893- 1901. Later became circuit judge. Brent Spence, lawyer & banker prior to serving in Congress, 1931-1963. George Baird Hodge elected to CSA Congress, 1862. Served area before & after Civil War in Ky. legislature.

25 Alexandria Pike, Southgate, ,

Linden Grove Cemetery. Founded in 1843 on land owned by the Western Baptist Theological Institute, this is the final resting place of American veterans since the War of 1812. In 1997, the GAR and veteran’s monuments were placed on the National Register of Historic Places and, in 2001, the cemetery was added. (Reverse) Buried here are Thomas Kennedy, original land owner of Covington; B. F. Howard, founder IBPOEW; U.S. Congressmen John W. Menzies, William E. Arthur, William W. Southgate, and John G. Carlisle. Carlisle also served as Lt. Gov. of Ky., U.S. Senator, U.S. Speaker of the House, and U.S. Secretary of the Treasury.

West 13th St., Covington, ,

Albert B. "Happy" Chandler, 1898-1991. This Henderson County native was state senator and lt. gov. before becoming governor in 1935 & 1955. U.S. senator, 1939-45. As baseball commissioner, he approved contract making Jackie Robinson first modern black major league player in 1947. Chandler was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982. (Reverse) This colorful orator and two-term governor was born near Corydon, Ky. As governor, Chandler was the driving force behind establishment of the Univ. of Ky. Medical Center, later named in his honor. Buried at Pisgah Presbyterian Church in Versailles. Park Field in Henderson was site of the 1996 Bambino World Series dedicated to “Happy” Chandler.

US 60, Corydon, ,

Lakeland Asylum. In 1873, the fourth Kentucky state mental hospital was established here. From a single brick building housing 370 patients, grew a campus of 15 buildings and 5000 patients, including a working farm & orchards. Buildings constructed in Tudor and Classical Revival styles and exemplified exceptional institutional architecture of the day. (Reverse) Daily routine of patients began with medication, followed by the men working on the farm & grounds, while the women worked in the kitchen, laundry & as seamstresses. With fewer patients and buildings in disrepair, a new facility was built in 1986. The old campus was demolished in 1996. Site is now on E. P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park.

2201 Lakeland Rd., Louisville, KY, United States