Kidderminster Civic Society

Kidderminster Civic Society aims to promote high standards of planning and architecture, and seeks also to further public awareness of the geography, history and architecture of the area.
We wish to secure the protection and preservation of features of historic or public interest.
The Society was formed in April 1993 by a group which had campaigned vigorously to preserve the highly regarded late nineteenth century Library and Schools of Art and Science complex. The campaign was defeated in controversial circumstances and the group vowed ‘never again!’

http://www.kidcivicsoc.org.uk/

Mount Skipet. At the top of these steps is Mount Skipet, the key site in the birth of the town's carpet industry. Here from c.1749 John Pearsall and John Broom based their partnership. Pearsall is regarded as the founder of the industry in 1735 when he wove the first "Kidderminster Carpet". Named after the town, the carpet was a flat reversible weave with a pattern on both sides, last woven in this town in 1932. The story goes that Broom brought the secrets of "Brussels" weaving to the town, and the first pile carpet was woven by Pearsall and Broom on Mount Skipet.

Park Lane, Kidderminster, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Broom and Clement Dalley

Mason Rd, Kidderminster, United Kingdom

Subjects
Frank Freeman ran The Dancing Club here with his wife Wynn. Between 1968-1971 many famous groups played here such as Captain Beefheart, Fleetwood Mac and Tyrannosaurus Rex

Frank Freeman's Ballroom, Mill Street, Kidderminster, United Kingdom

Subjects
Slingfield Mill was built in 1864 by Thomas Lea. The architects were Lockwood and Mawson of Bradford, well known for their textile mills. The finest yarns for the carpet industry were spuin on machinery driven by a steam engine powered from boilers in the nearby boilerhouse with its square chimney. In 1920 Lea Ltd became part of Carpet Trades who sold it to Brintons in 1948. By the late 1980's yarn spinning had ceased and in 2003 the Mill became a retail outlet.

Slingfield Mill, Weavers Wharf, Kidderminster, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Piano Building was built as a wool warehourse in 1867 by Brintons. The north wall followed the curve of the historic "Sling" cart way. From above the building resembles a grand piano. In 1878 it was gutted by fire and rebuilt. For many years an arm of the canal passed under the towpath into the building, bringing coal to the nearby boiler house and bales of wool for the store. The bales were unloaded by hoist to the levels above through hatches cut into the timber floors. After Brintons withdrew carpet manufacturing from the town centre 1995 - 2000, the building was saved from demolition by listing in 2003.

Park Lane, Kidderminster, United Kingdom

The Workhouse. Near here stood an 18th. century workhouse for Kidderminster Foreign parish, which was the rural area surrounding the town. In 1837 it was replaced by a large version for town and countryside, which poor people were compelled to enter in exchange for poor relief. In 1930 workhouses were formally abolished and their functions transferred to county councils. Finally in 1948 the Poor Law gave way to the National Health Service, and the loathed workhouse buildings were gradually transformed into a much loved hospital. This building, erected in 1874, is all that remains of the workhouse. It was a reception for vagrants, who were made to labour at stone breaking for their keep. Upstairs was the Board Room for the Poor Law Guardians.

Sutton Road, Kidderminster, United Kingdom

Subjects
Harveys Wine Vaults A few yards ahead of this spot under the Swan Centre are buried medieval vaults, which may have been the undercroft of a merchants cellars by the world renowned Bristol Sherry Company Harveys, which operated here for nearly 150 years until 1967. This was at the top of Swan Street formerly known as 'Behind the shops' which included three ancient pubs, The Fox, The Black Bull, and The Swan Hotel. They faced the rear of the High Street where the famous seventeenth century preacher Richard Baxter lived. This wa all removed to develop The Swan Centre in 1968.

Swan Shopping Centre, Coventry Street, Kidderminster, United Kingdom

Subjects
Caldwall Tower 14th. Century Kidderminster's oldest secular building

Castle Road, Kidderminster, United Kingdom

Subjects