http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/

6760704925 1bc980dc12 m
The dock behind you was opened in 1846 and was the first in the port to have direct railway access. Railway Dock The dock closed to commercial shipping in 1968 and was reopened as a marina in 1983.

Warehouse, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6760703671 e4387d8dfa m
From 1914 to 1963 the headquarters of the Hull Corporation Telephone Department was here at 65 Mytongate. In 1987 the department became Kingston Communications (Hull) plc.

Castle Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
244241 f8035439 120x120
Known as Harry Lazarus' Hotel during the 1870s and 1880s 32-33 Posterngate was used to feed european transmigrants en route to America and Canada

32-33 Posterngate, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6673560685 e95b8b396c m
Purchased by the Western Hebrew Congregation in 1901, the Hull Hebrew School used 15/17 Linnaeus Street as a girls' school (1902-45) and a boys' Hebrew evening class (1902-94)

15/17 Linnaeus Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6742428295 4ce8159edf m
On this site, in 1754, was founded Pease's Bank, the first bank to be founded in Yorkshire It later became part of Barclays Bank plc

the northern end of High Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6795842931 12c3afb886 m
Poet & writer Stevie Smith (1902-1971) was born here 20th September 1902

34, De la Pole Avenue, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
836870 e852c478 120x120
A ferry between Hull and Lincolnshire was first recorded in 1315. The Humber Ferry operated between here and New Holland from 1825 until the completion of the Humber Bridge in 1981.

Old ticket office, opposite the Victoria pier, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6736328557 0b317b01ae m
The southern arm of the 14th century town wall included at this point a postern called The Watergate. This led to the South End, a landing on the Humber foreshore which was also used as a town tip & battery.

West of the Ruscadors public house, Humber Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6742422647 f53c601f2f m
Dating back to the 15th century, 5 Scale Lane is Hull's oldest domestic building.

5 Scale Lane, Hull, United Kingdom

6846723483 12b72a9b4f m
This building lays over part of the town's 16th & 17th century defences, designed respectively by John Rogers (a military engineer to King Henry VIII) & Martin Beckman (a military engineer to King Charles II).

Post Office Sorting Office, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
3406377 ed7fc55d 120x120
Site of the principal entrance of the ancient walled and fortified town c.1521- c.1780. Beverley Gate. Here Sir John Hotham, the Governor, denied entry in 1642 to King Charles I - the first overt act of the Civil War.

Ruins of Beverley Gate, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6789729405 7ee06bdb4f m
Here, from its foundation by Sir Michael de la Pole in 1378, until 1539, stood the priory of Saint Michael. Called The Charterhouse the Carthusians John Rochester and James Walworth were detained here before their execution in 1537.

Charterhouse, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6836068343 e94ca588fb m
A century of learning Hull College Park Street Centre has provided further education for the people of Hull since 1898

Park Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6789723819 e7c205ac92 m
Here, from 1624 until 1640 while his father was Master of the Charterhouse, lived Andrew Marvel 1621-1678 Poet, public servant and Member of Parliament for Kingston upon Hull

Holderness Road, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6771361131 0eac9f3236 m
The site of these gardens was occupied until 1930 by the port's first enclosed dock known as Queen's Dock Authorised in 1774. The gardens with the town docks delineate the walls and moat which once encompassed the old town.

side of the large fountain, on Wilberforce Drive, opposite Hull College and the Wilberforce Monument, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6851834787 373d0264d2 m
One of the oddest street names in the country, Land of Green Ginger was the title of a Winifred Holtby novel. The name's origin remains a mystery.

Land of Green Ginger, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
6851832897 ebe349d6d1 m
In a building on this site, Smith & Nephew (founded in 1856 & now a leading world-wide healthcare company) produced medical supplies from 1861 to 1907, after which they moved to Hessle Road.

10 North Church Side, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects
882298 ac21bef3 120x120
Site of the manor house of Sir William de la Pole (first mayor of Kingston upon Hull, 1331) and of the Suffolk Palace erected by Sir Michael de la Pole, Earl of Suffolk. The palace was seized by the Crown (1504) and became known as "The King's Manor"

Corner of Lowgate and Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, United Kingdom

Subjects