http://www.lewes-town.co.uk/index.asp

3597635445 1fc59e260d m
Turkish Baths Built by subscription in 1863, they included a range of hot and cold baths and living accommodation for the attendant. Popularity waned when superior baths opened in Brighton and these baths closed in 1882.

High Street, Lewes, United Kingdom

Subjects
3120820 8e8e3ec8 120x120
Battle of Lewes 1264 On 14th May 1264 Simon de Montfort's army of 5000 Barons and Londoners defeated royalist forces of twice that size under Henry III on the Downs northwest of Lewes. The Mise of Lewes, signed next day led to the first English parliament meeting at Westminster 20th January, 1266. This viewing platform was erected by Lewes Town Council and unveiled by the Mayor Councillor R.H Yarrow M.B.E. on 14th May 1985.

Precincts Castle, Lewes, United Kingdom

Subjects
3662688310 9ca4ece69c m
Southdown House 1871 Daisy Ashford (1881-1972) wrote "The Young Visiters" here when she was nine years old.

Saint Anne's Crescent, Lewes, United Kingdom

Subjects
10833297955 60a131ef04 m
The only surviving part of the Greyfriars Franciscan Friary once by the junction of Friars Walk and the High Street. Built in 1224, demolished as part of the dissolution in 1538, then re-erected here in the middle of the 19th century

Friars Walk, Lewes, United Kingdom

10833675843 d5394123ca m
Here, for 200 years, stood a grammar school founded in 1512 by widow Agnes Morley. Its pupils included John Evelyn, diarist, arboriculturist and founder member of the Royal Society, and Richard Russell whose sea-water cure launched Brighton as a resort.

Garden Street, Lewes, United Kingdom

10833462176 1e0bfd05df m
Here blossomed a physic gard for medicinal herbs tended by Cluniac monks from Southover Priory, Hereabouts, too, the Winterbourne stream powered their Eastern watermill

Garden Street, Lewes, United Kingdom