Limerick Civic Trust

Limerick Civic Trust is a self-funding Conservation Society, which initiates and undertakes a programme of projects for the general improvements of Limerick's environment. Inaugurated at a public meeting in February 1983, it was Ireland's first Civic Trust.
They have erected 60 historical plaques around the city.

http://www.limerickcivictrust.ie/

Fanning's Castle fortified medieval residence of Dominic Fanning a patriotic Mayor who was executed by Cromwellian forces in 1651

off Mary Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
St. Mary's Town House occupied as a town house by the Ingram, Arthur and Carr families. From 1847 until 1982 it was a presbytery. Restored in 1989 as a parish centre.

Athlunkard Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Richard Baptist O'Brien a priest who founded the Catholic Young Men's Society in 1849, lived in the house beside here

27 Mary Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
The Tholsel. The Tholsel founded in 1449 was the earliest City Hall, later to become a jail. "This year the foundation of the Tholsel's laid, Where justice in those days was well displayed, The use diverted now 'tis the common jail, Where men do lie, not wanting crimes - but bail" (Anon)

37 Mary Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
1916 Memorial erected by means of public subscriptions in memory of the Limerick men and their comrades who died for Ireland in 1916

Sarsfield Bridge, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

John Ferrar 1743 - 1804 historian, printer and bookseller. Founder of the Limerick Chronicle. Had a shop here.

Bridge Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Andrew Cherry actor and songwriter best remembered as the author of 'The Dear Little Shamrock'

Bridge Street, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
The Colleen Bawn. The trial of the murderers of Ellen Hanley 'The Colleen Bawn' took place here.

Bridge Street, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Monte de Piete. The site of a charitable pawn office founded by Sir Matthew Barrington in 1837

near Baal's Bridge, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
The Old City Courthouse. Built in 1764 as a courthouse. Subsequently used as a school. It is now a community hall.

Bridge Street, Limerick, Ireland

Dr Robert Frith physician and philantrophist, resided in the house that stood near here

Charlotte Quay, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
St. Michael's Churchyard Site of the orignial St. Munchin's Church. Burial place of many prominent 18th and 19th century families.

Charlotte Quay, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

The Granary erected in 1787 by Philip Eoche as a grain store. Restored in 1982.

Michael Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Stoney Thursday Corner. This strange name was coined in 1646, when the Mayor, John Fitz Thomas Bourke was almost stoned to death

junction of Mungret Street and John Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Farrancroghy the place of public execution in the 16th and 17th centuries

Pennywell, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

McNamara's Band 1905 - 1927. 'My name is McNamara and I'm the Leader of the band'. This world-wide celebrated musical ensemble got its name from four Limerick brothers; Paddy, Michael, Jack and Tom McNamara, all of whom were born in St. Marys' Parish.

Creagh Lane, off St Mary's Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Canon Frederick Langbridge last rector of St. John's Parish, novelist, poet and dramatist lived here

3 John's Square, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
The Citadel. This Guard House was the military headquarters of the Irishtown during the Cromwellian and Williamite Sieges

St. John's Hospital, St. John's Square, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
St. John's Penal Church site of the last Roman Catholic Parish church of St. John's. Built in 1753. It was demolished in 1863

St. John's Cathedral, Cathedral Place, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

John's Square. This square was built in 1751 through the enterprise of Pery and Pardon. Restored in the 1970s.

St. John's Church of Ireland, Pennywell, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

St John's Churchyard marks one of the earliest Christian foundations in the City. The present church, was consecrated in June 1852.

St. John's Church of Ireland, Pennywell, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

John's Gate. On the roadway here stood John's Gate the most important portal in the walls of Irishtown

St. John's Hospital, St. John's Square, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
John Francis O'Donnell patriot poet and journalist born in this house 29 July 1837

20 Gerald Griffin Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Mungretgate. This is a section of the Irishtown fortification which adjoined the Mungretgate. It was restored by Limerick Civic Trust in 1987.

Mungret Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Eugene O'Curry the renowned Irish scholar, Professor of Irish, History and Archaeology, spent some time working in this hospital.

St. Joseph's Hospital, Mulgrave Steet, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Site of Heapy's Theatre established in 1770. Some of the world's leading artists performed here. In 1781, the theatre was leased by Richard Daly, a former actor in Heaphy's company, and subsequently by Edward Jones. It burned down in 1818.

Gerald Griffin Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Kate O'Brien internationally famous novelist and playwright lived in this house.

Boru House, Mulgrave Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Brian Merriman 1749 - 1805 author of 'Cúirt An Mheán Oíche' - The Midnight Court - and teacher of mathematics, etc. He died near here at 5 Old Clare Street on 27th July 1805.

Clare Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Maurice Lenihan 1811 - 1895 journalist, historian and former Mayor of Limerick. Author of the monumental History of Limerick lived in this house.

2 Patrick Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Bruce's Bank founded in 1806 by George Evans Bruce, High Sheriff of Co. Limerick in 1800. The bank closed after financial difficulties in 1820.

6 Rutland Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Daniel O'Connell 1755-1847 renowned lawyer and politician who's demands for Catholic Emancipation became law in 1829, lodged in this house

6 Patrick Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Rev. John Thayer 1755 - 1815 born in Boston, chaplain to George Washington's army before he came to Limerick. A most dedicated clergyman who was so popular that his followers were known as "Thayerites". He died here.

34 Patrick Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
The Arthur Family. The family played a prominent role in the development of Limerick.

Arthur's Quay, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

William Cecil Pery 1721-1794 Protestant Bishop of Limerick 1784-1794. In 1784 he was the first Bishop to occupy this residence which was built by his brother

104 Henry Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

The Hartstonges. The street is dedicated to the memory of Sir Harry (d. 1844) and Lady Hartstonge who were eminent benefactors to the city. They lived on this street.

Hartstonge Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Edmond Sexton Pery. He played a prominent role in the 18th century development of Georgian Limerick, known as Newtown Pery.

103 Henry Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Credit Union. In memory of Catherine Maria King who opened a school here and brought the presentation Sisters to Limerick in 1837 to continue her work. Later she joined the community in Sexton St. She took the name Sr. Frances de Chantal and died there in 1866.

Sexton Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Grand Central façade remains of Wesleyan Methodist Preaching House. Built in 1821. Subsequently a cinema.

Bedford Row, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Leamy's School this school was built in 1843 out of the proceeds of a trust set up by William Leamy.

Hartstonge Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

The Pery Square Tontine this splendid example of Georgian architecture was completed in 1838.

Pery Square, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

The Barrington Family. This street is named after this renowned family which made a great contribution to the development of Limerick.

Barrington Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Presbyterian Church built in 1817 to accommodate the increasing Presbyterian congregation in the city. Sold to the printers George McKern & Sons Ltd. in 1904.

Glentworth Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Trinity Church an Episcopal church built in 1834 through subscriptions raised by the personal efforts of Rev. Edward Hoare

Catherine Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Joseph O'Mara (1866 - 1927) the internationally famed Operatic Tenor lived here. He formed his own company in 1912 and starred in many acclaimed productions. He was a Freeman of Limerick.

Ozmnan House, Hartstonge Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
The Unthanks. This street and the adjoining Thomas Street are named after members of this family who contributed greatly to the development of Limerick.

Catherine Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Ada Rehan world famous Shakespearean actress was born in the house that stood on this site

Shannon Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
Catherine Hayes 1825 - 1861 "The Swan of Erin" world renowned operatic soprano was born in this house.

4 Patrick Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
James Pain renowned architect, together with his brother, George designed some of our finest structures.

The Glentworth Hotel, Glentworth Street, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects
The Commercial Buildings. Built by the Commercial Building Company in 1805. Occupied by Chamber of Commerce until 1838. Later aquired by Limerick Corporation who used the buildings as the Town Hall from 1847 until 1990.

Patrick Street, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland

Sylvester O'Halloran 1728-1807 Pioneering eye surgeon, historian, antiquarian. Died in a house located in this vicinity.

Merchants Quay, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Subjects