1277966 b72a6240 120x120
Gatehouse Tewkesbury Abbey Grange This 14th century house afforded entry into a cluster of farm buildings belonging to the grange of Tewkesbury Abbey. The grange was an estate also known as West Llantwit or Abbot's Llantwit. After the dissolution of the monasteries it was sold to Edward Stradling and later descended to the Earl of Plymouth. On the south side the dovecot and remnants of the tithe barn are still visible.

, Llantwit Major, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Court House

, Llantwit Major, United Kingdom

1115234 9a168d78 120x120
St Illtud's Church This was originally a Celtic site, founded by St. Illtud around 500, comprising a church, monastery, school and mission centre. The west church was built by the Normans around 1100, extended into the east church in the 13th century. The ruin at the west end is a Galilee chapel and a chantry founded by the Raglan family. The ruin in the churchyard was the chantry priest's house.

College St, Llantwit Major, United Kingdom

1114047 705edd22 120x120
Knolles Place The Old Presbytery The house was built circa 1450 by John Raglan (Herbert) and later occupied by Robert Raglan. The Raglans controlled many local offices as stewards and chantry priests. In the 17th century it became a vicarage for Stephen Slugg the notorious 'Trimmer' of the Civil War period. It became a board school providing elementary education from 1874-1975.

, Llantwit Major, United Kingdom

3178824 09ba9a01 120x120
The Town Hall. This was a Norman Manorial Courthouse for the holding of Courts Leet (tenants) and Baron (freeholders) for the Manor of Boverton and Llantwit Major. It was rebuilt under the lordship of Jasper Tudor 1485-95; became a Guildhall in the time of Henry VIII, then the Bailiff's House. It was then leased in part to the St. Illtyd's Lodge of the Oddfellows Society in 1845 and taken over by the first Parish Council in 1894.

Town Hall, Llantwit Major, United Kingdom

1514142 9db3e904 120x120
Plymouth House. This house has a reputation of forming part of the Celtic Monastery. It became the Manor House of West Llantwit or Abbot's Llantwit, the land given to Twekesbury Abbey by the Normans. After the dissolution of the monasteries, it was bough by Edward Stradling as his town house. It passed to Lewis of the Van, then to the Earl of Plymouth. It was bough by Dr. J. W. Nicholl Carne who renamed it.

, Llantwit Major, United Kingdom