Gun Cliff The main town cannon were always placed here. The cliff was formerly lower, and had solid land on both sides.

Gun Cliff, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

Long Entry Once led across Black Ven to Charmouth but was lost to the sea by 1750. Here the novelist Henry Fielding attempted in 1725 to abduct Sarah Andrew

Long Entry, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

Church Street The houses on this side date back to the 17th century. This part of the street is known as the Butter Market.

Church Street, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

St. Michael's A church has stood on this site, part of the ancient royal manor, since at least the 12th century

Church Street, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

Subjects
Broad Street. Anciently West Street. It's breadth suggests it was planned as a market street at the time of the 1284 charter.

Broad Street, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

Pyne House. This is the most likely lodging of Jane Austen, whose visits to Lyme in 1803 and 1804 gave birth to her novel "Persuasion".

?, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Walk. The first public promenade here was created by the philanthropist Thomas Hollis in 1771. The lower part is the Cart Road.

The Alcove, Marine Parade, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

Subjects
Bell Cliff. An alarm bell once hung on this ancient emplacement. It was a popular platform for election speeches in Parliamentary days

7 Broad Street, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sherborne Lane. In 774 King Cynewulf of Wessex granted a manor on the west bank of the Lim to Sherborne Abbey. This street goes back to Saxon times.

Sherborne Lane, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

From 1799 to 1853 this building was the town post office. In those days this part of the street was called Horse Street. The wooden posting box still in its original place in the wall is one of the oldest in the country.

Old Lyme Guest House, 29 Broad Street, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

Coombe Street. This was the main street of the Royal Manor, before the 1284 charter. On this site once stood a famous inn, The George.

37 Broad Street, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

Silver Street. The street once led to a wood, 'silva' in latin, whence its name. This house was the home of the three Philpot sisters, famous early fossilists.

Mariners Restaurant, Silver Street, Lyme Regis, United Kingdom

Subjects