Lytham St Annes Civic Society

The Lytham St Annes Civic Society was formed in 1960 and has a membership of well over 400. Over the years it become the key independent organisation for the area in monitoring and commenting on planning issues. It is respected as an informed pressure group which conscientiously endeavours to protect and improve the built urban environment in which we live.
The society has a programme of Blue Plaques around Lytham St Annes. They are to commemorate significant events, people and buildings in the town and are of top quality in cast aluminium. The society welcomes any suggestions for more plaques.

http://lsacivic.org/archive/blue_plaque.htm

13087726485 5a9c88946d m
Frank Dickinson, optometrist 1906-1978 international contact lens pioneer, researcher and writer. Developed the micro-corneal lens at his practice in St Annes Square

Dollond & Aitchison, 30 St. Annes Road West, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
5048176405 d1517af154 m
The Assembly Rooms. Site of public buildings since 1795, the Baths, Theatre and Assembly Rooms of 1862 were originally operated by the Clifton family. Much altered in 1927 by the new Borough of Lytham St. Anne's. In 1991 it was redeveloped for community use and administered since then by Lytham Town Trust Limited, a Registered Charity.

Lytham Assembly Rooms, Dicconson Terrace, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
16371701539 b979e1fa34 m
Mr Hincksman's Chapel 1846-1868 The first Wesleyan chapel in Lytham, built by T. C. Hincksman. Later used as a Masonic Hall, auction saleroom, American Forces Kitchen and health clinic. Converted to legal offices in 1992.

Chapel House, Bath Street, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Clifton Arms Hotel. Originally a small hotel in Clifton Street. This building was built in 1839 as part of the plan for Lytham devised by James Fair, agent to Clifton Estate. It was a coaching inn until the railway connection to Blackpool in 1863.

Clifton Arms Hotel, West Beach, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
3965844 d196cd78 120x120
Lytham railway station. Built in 1874 when the Blackpool-Lytham line was joined to the Lytham-Kirkham branch of the Preston and Wyre Railway. It fell out of use after downgrading by British Rail. The Italianate stone facade was preserved during conversion to a pub in 1986.

Station Square, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
2905664 4e08600f 120x120
St. Annes Lifeboat House from 1881 to 1925. 45 lives saved from here. 13 crew were lost in the Mexico Disaster in 1886, an event which resulted in street collections nationally for R.N.L.I.

Old Lifeboat House, East Bank Rd, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
12158000135 de77760201 m
Richard Ansdell RA, eminent Victorian painter 1815-85. In 1861 he built his home, "The Starr Hills", in the surrounding sand dunes, which inspired him. The local area was named after him.

Starr Hills, Ansdell Road South, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Sir John W. Alcock KBE DSC attended this school 1900-1905 with Sir Arthur W. Brown he made the first nonstop flight by aeroplane across the Atlantic June 14-15 1919

Heyhouses School, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
17660427478 a8be43bdf8 m
St. Annes War Memorial Hospital 1922-1991. Opened by Lord Derby in May 1922, this former Bannister family home was gifted to the community by Lord Ashton to honour local war dead. Supported entirely by public subscription until 1948, it closed in 1991 and was demolished in 1996.

St. Annes Road East, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
12158234033 80f67a3893 m
George Formby OBE (George Hoy Booth) 1904-1961 A musical entertainer and comedian, he bought Cintra from tenor Joseph Locke in 1953. The House was renamed Beryldene after his wife, and he lived here until his death aged 56 in 1961.

199 South Promenade, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
14847633729 5c9fdc44a2 m
Former Drill Hall Site 1914 'E' Company The Lytham Territorials 4th Battalion Loyal North Lancashire Regiment was deployed for active service in WW1. On 6th August 1914 , they marched to Preston, their Regimental HQ.

Henry Street, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
3147090 375217d0 120x120
Tramway Passenger Shelter 1923 This shelter was erected by Lytham St Annes Corporation to serve its tramway which ran between Lytham and Blackpool from 1898-1936. The original gas trams were replaced by electric in 1903. It was built by John Heap & Sons of St Annes.

Junction Clifton Drive and Marine Drive, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
15688551078 4f0714f0db m
Lytham Market Hall Built in 1848 by the Lytham Improvement Commissioners to replace an open air market and fish stones The clock tower was donated in 1868 by Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton. From 1897, as the market declined, enclosed shops were created. Architect: Charles Reed of Liverpool Builder: Thomas Drummond of Fleetwood

Market Square, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
12860959053 e046753e17 m
Carnegie Library 1906 This free public library was erected by St Annes UDC and funded by Scottish-American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The architect was JD Harker and the builder Samuel Wilson, both of St Annes. The site was gifted by the St Annes on Sea Land & Building Company Ltd. In 1931 the reference and children's libraries were added by Lytham St Annes Council and built by John Heap & sons of St Annes.

254 Clifton Drive South, St Annes on Sea, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Sir Nigel Gresley (1876-1941) Locomotive engineer and designer of the Flying Scotsman and Mallard. While working for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway in Blackpool, he married Ethel Fullagar of St Anne's at the parish church 1901.

St Annes Station, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Queen Mary School for Girls 1930-1999 Semper Fidelis Semper Parata. Built by the Lytham Schools Foundation. Opened by Lord Derby 23rd September 1930. Builders: John Sutcliffe & Sons, Architects: Thomas Talicain Ree?? & Richard Holt. Grade 2 listed

, Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom