The Customs House 1837 This is one of Middlesbrough's oldest buildings. It was designed by George Burlison in the Greek Revival style as the home of the Middlesbrough Exchange Association. It became the Customs House in 1886 during the period when Middlesbrough's trade was at its peak.

Custom House, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Bolckow House 1872 This distinctive building was originally designed by W. H. Blessley, although the ground floor frontage was added in 1885 by Newcombe and Knowles. Formerly occupied by the North Eastern Banking Co. the building later housed the Chamber of Commerce from 1935-1988.

Bolckow House, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

English Swimming Champion, Olympic Medal-winner and World Record-holder Jack Hatfield (1893-1965) had long-standing family links with Middlesbrough Swimming Baths, formerly on this site. He was the owner of a well-known Middlesbrough Sports Shop.

former Middlesbrough Swimming Baths, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

St. Hilda's Church of England Primary School This is the site of the school opened by the Duke of Devonshire in 1869. By 1870 there were 168 pupils attending. the Novelist Naomi Jacob was a pupil-teacher here. It closed in 1981 and the pupils rehoused in St. Mary's School.

Snowden Road, St Hilda's, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Webb House 1881-91 Designed for Bell Bros, ironmakers, by Philip Webb, one of the most influential 19th century architects, famous for designing houses. It is one of the few non-domestic commissions he accepted during his career. It was later occupied by Dorman Long, best remembered for the design and ? of the the Sydney Harbour ? Australia

Webb House, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

11-13 Zetland Road These two buildings were commissioned by H. G. Reid, and were the home of the North Eastern Daily Gazette, Middlesbrough's first daily newspaper. W. H. Blessley designed No. 13 in the Italianate style in 1871. No. 11 was designed in the Northern Renaissance style by R. Lofthouse in 1893.

11-13 Zetland Road, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Amos Hinton 1844-1919 Born in Tring. Founder of the well-known chain of grocery stores. He purchased his first shop in Middlesbrough in 1871, later occupying these Corporation Road premises from 1890. He was a Town Councillor, Alderman, a prominent leader in the Temperance Movement, a magistrate and a Poor Law Guardian. In 1886 he was the first Mayor to be installed in the new Town Hall.

Corporation Road, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Captain Cook Memorial School 1849 Stone from the ruins of Marton Lodge, which had been destroyed by fire, was used to build the school. An infants room was added in 1884. In 1961 it became a nursery and private dwelling and in 1990 it became the Captain Cook Day Nursery.

Captain Cook Memorial School, Marton Village, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

1 Albert Road 1872 This building was designed in the French Gothic style by Gordon Hoskins for the bankers K. Backhouse and Company. The southern part of the building was used as a house for the bank manager. It was occupied by the Yorkshire Bank until the 1980's.

1 Albert Road, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Forbes Building 1899-1900 Purpose built as a bakery, with shops, stables and offices for John Forbes by Lofthouse & Sons of Middlesbrough. Forbes came to the town from Aberdeen in 1875 and set up in Lower Feversham Street. He became Mayor in 1904.

Forbes' Buildings, Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Cleveland Club 1872 On this site stood the house of John Gilbert Holmes, one of the town's first shipbuilders. The present building was designed in the French Baroque style by John Gibson for the National and Provincial Bank. In 1948 the Cleveland Club began using the building as an informal meeting place for business people.

Queen's Square, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Cyril Smith 1909-1974 Born here in Costa Street, Cyril Smith began to play the piano at the age of 4 and gave his first concert in Middlesbrough Town Hall at the age of 11. in 1927, he won a national piano contest and met his future wife, Phyllis Sellick. He lost the use of his left arm in 1956 after a stroke. Cyril built a successful career playing for three hands, alongside his wife Phyllis.

Costa Street, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

International footballer and football manager Brian Clough was born here on 21st March 1935 He was associated with Middlesbrough Football Club at Ayresome Park from 1951 to 1961

Valley Road, Grove Hill, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Cleveland Buildings 1840 These were formerly the homes of the famous Ironmasters, Henry Bolckow and John Vaughan. They met when courting two sisters whom they later married and the two families lived door to each other for several years.

Cleveland Buildings, Queen's Square, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

1-3 Queen's Terrace In 1850 this terrace was built as houses for well off residents. Later nos. 1-3 became the Head Office of the Owners of the Middlesbrough Estate Ltd. This consortium of Quaker businessmen established the modern town close to the railway and Port Darlington and assisted in its development.

1-3 Queen's Terrace, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Arthur John Dorman Born Ashford in Kent 1848 Died here at his home Grey Towers in 1931 He formed one half of the partnership of Dorman Long becoming world famous as bridge builders. (Sydney Harbour and Tyne.) He gave the Dorman Museum to the town in 1904 in memory of his son George who died during the Boer War. Grey Towers listed Grade Two was built in 1865 for W. R. I. Hopkins, to designs of John Ross of Darlington.

Grey Towers, Nunthorpe, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

The Admiral 1831 This public house, formerly called the Steam Packet Inn, was probably the second to open after the nearby Ship Inn. the name served as a reminder of the Middlesbrough and London Steam Shipping Company which was based nearby.

The Admiral Pub, Stockton Street/West Street, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Middlesbrough Farm This is the site of the 12th Century Benedictine Priory of Middlesbrough. the land was owned by William Chilton of Billingham. It was leased to the Parrington family and sold in 1829 becoming the site of the new town of Middlesbrough. Keith Bridgewood painted the mural in 1987 as part of a scheme to promote public art.

?, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Site of First Railway Station 1837 The Railway Station was built for a new locomotive passenger service to Stockton, replacing the "Majestic", a horse drawn carriage which operated along the tracks. In 1847 a new station was built and this site became a goods yard.

former Atlas Garage, North Street/ Commercial Street Corner, St Hilda's, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Middlesbrough Pottery This is the site of the Middlesbrough Pottery established by Richard Otley in 1834. A fine collection can be seen in the Dorman Museum which also has a large collection of Linthorpe Ware, from the Linthorpe Pottery established in 1879. Both potteries achieved international recognition.

Commercial Street, St. Hilda's, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Known as The Father of Middlesbrough and of the Tees, William Fallows (1797-1889) lived in Commercial Street, west of this site, from 1831 to 1854. He was a great benefactor to the people of Middlesbrough

Custom House, North Street, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Joseph Constantine 1856-1922 Born in Germany of British nationality, Joseph Constantine came to Middlesbrough as a boy. His father helped him to set up in business as a shipowner, a career which proved very successful. He was High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1916 and in the same year began making plans for a technical college for Middlesbrough. Constantine College, which was house din this building, was opened in 1930. The college went on to become Teesside Polytechnic in 1970 and the University of Teesside in 1992.

?, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

St. Hilda's Church (1840) St. Hilda's Parish Church stood on this site for over 120 years, serving the community to which it gave its name. It was designed in the Gothic style by the architects J & B Green of Newcastle upon Tyne. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs Hustler of Acklam Hall on 24 July 1838. The first service was held on 15 May 1840 and the building was consecrated by the Bishop of Durham on 25 September of that year. The congregation declined in the 1960's and the building itself began to deteriorate. Sadly, it was demolished between 1969 and 1970. This plaque stands near the site of the altar by the east window, which was presented to the church by John Vaughan in 1867. The plaque was unveiled by the Mayor of Middlesbrough, Councillor Marje Barker on 25 September 1990, the 150th anniversary of the consecration of the church.

?, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

St. Christopher's School St. Mary's School was built in 1847 adjacent to St. Mary's Catholic Church. when St. Hilda's Church of England Primary School closed in 1981 it moved to share the St. Mary's site. They re-opened as a unified Anglican and Catholic primary school - St. Christopher's, in 1987

Sussex Street, St Hilda's, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Rev. Isaac Benson 1795-1864 Born in Windermere and appointed in 1823 to serve under the patronage of Thomas Hustler as Vicar of Acklam and village shcoolmaster. From 1840, after becoming responsible for St. Hilda's Parish, he ministered for the next twenty-four years as the first Vicar of Middlesbrough.

Acklam Hall, Acklam, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Winterschladens 1885 For 95 years these premesis, originally part of the railway station, were occupied by Joseph Winterschladen, a hughly successful wine importer. He came to England in 1862 initially setting up in a partnershup with Uvo Paul. Winterschladens opened these premesis when the partnership disolved in 1885

8 Exchange Place, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Railway Station 1873 - 1877 The railway station was designed by William Peachy who also designed the railway station at York. Commissioned by the North Eastern Railway, the station was built in the Gothic style from Blaxter stone.

8 Exchange Place, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Ship Inn 1831 This was the first public house to open in Middlesbrough and is thought to have been built by a bricklayer called Thomas Davison. A room known as 'The Cabin' existed here for the payment of wages to local workers

21 Stockton Street, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom