6893562753 28ebc47c24 m
Clifford's Tower. The original motte and bailey castle on this site was erected by William the Conqueror. The present tower usually described as "the Great Tower", was built between 1245 and 1262 by order of King Henry III. It was encircled by a moat fed from the River Foss. By 1800, the moat was no longer in existence. The tower was taken within the confines of the new 'York County Prison' begun in 1826 and demolished in 1935. The grassed centre of the castle area known as the "Eye of York" is a legacy from the days when York castle belonged to the Crown. County elections and royal proclamations were issued from the precincts. This piece of land was transferred to York City Council in 1988 for the princely sum of £1.

Tower Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6801472216 5511872edb m
Tower Gardens. Originally part of "The Long Walk" extending downstream to the confluence of the Rivers Ouse and Foss at Blue Bridge. A gateway was broken through the city wall and a handsome iron palisade gate was set in a stone arch (now removed) with an inscription stating that it was erected during the Mayoralty of Jonas Thompson (1731 to 1732). This gate was located where South Esplanade now enters the gardens. As the first public gardens in the city, the current arrangement was laid out in 1880-81, during the construction of Skeldergate Bridge, and the walk passed under the bridge through the short tunnel to St. George's field.

Tower Gardens, York, United Kingdom

6968215355 824cf222a0 m
Blue Bridge. The first bridge built on this site in 1738 was a small wooden drawbridge painted blue. In 1767 it was replaced by a fixed stone bridge and again by a wooden 'Turning Bridge' in 1792, which allowed boats to proceed up the Foss. Another replacement in 1834 gave way to an iron lifting bridge built in 1858. The current bridge dates from 1929-30. Two platforms were erected at the St George's field end of the bridge to support two cannons captured at the Battle of Sebastopol in 1855. These formed the City's Crimean War Memorial. The metal guns were melted down during the Second World War.

Blue Bridge Lane, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
In front of you is the oldest gothic church in London, rebuilt in 1212 after a fire severely damaged the Norman church. The site has been a place of worship for 1,400 years. First as a Saxon convent, thought to have been founded in 606, it became the Priory of St. Mary for Augustinian canons in 1106. The canons established the famous hospital of St. Thomas that was moved to Lambeth in the 19th century. After the dissolution of the monastery in 1539 the Priory Church became the Parish Church of St. Saviour, in the Diocese of Winchester. In 1905 it was made a Cathedral with its own diocese, to serve the spiritual and material needs of south London's growing population. In monastic times the parish church was in the Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene formerly on the south side of the chancel (to your left) but demolished in 1822 during restoration work on the choir. You are looking down at the East Churchyard which contains the foundations of the 14th-century Lady Chapel and Bishop Andrewes' burial chapel. There also used to be houses built right up to the church. All these were demolished in the 1830s to make way for the approach road to John Rennie's new London Bridge. An outstanding scholar, Bishop Andrewes was part of the committee which translated the Bible into English for King James I in 1611.

Green Dragon Court (SE1 9AW), London, United Kingdom