271550 fbb16d9e 120x120
The Old Rectory

The Old Rectory, Mirfield, United Kingdom

271464 9e017c46 120x120
Ivy Lodge Vicars of Mirfield have lived here from early 15th C. Up to 1873 and again from 1922 till 1935. This building is 17thC. in origin and was owned by the Armytage family of Kirklees Hall. Rev. Joseph Ismay, vicar of Mirfield, 1740 to 1778, and author of the Mirfield Diaries, rebuilt the property in 1740.

, Mirfield, United Kingdom

3740823776 0390b5cbf6 m
Dumb Steeple Built around the 1760s, the monument may have replaced an earlier structure that stood as a guide post to the 'cowford'. In April 1812 an army of Luddites met here prior to an attack on Cartwrights Mill at Rawfolds.

Wakefield Road, Mirfield, United Kingdom

271416 3a86c47c 120x120
Roe Head - Built on land bought from the Armytage Kamily of Kirklees Hall in the mid-17C and rebuilt in 1740. The building became a school in 1830, attended by the Brontë sisters, Charlotte, 1831-32, Emily, 1836, Anne 1836-7. Charlotte returned in July 1835 as a teacher. Headmistress of the school was Margaret Wooler (Mrs Prior in Shirley) and Charlotte's Friends at school were Ellen Nussey and Mary Taylor (Caroline Helstone and Rose Yorke in Shirley).

Holly Bank School, Roe Head Site, Far Common Road, Mirfield, United Kingdom

Subjects