16841337687 db8995b37b m
St. Mark's Episcopal Church. St. Mark's Episcopal Church, once located here, was organized as a mission parish in 1846. Originally a simple rectangular frame building with twin front doors, the church was altered and enlarged over the years and was moved from its original beachfront location in 1925 to face 16th Street. Jefferson Davis was once a member of St. Mark's. The church was badly damaged by Hurricane Camille in 1969 and destroyed by Katrina in 2005, after which the congregation relocated to the corner of Cowan and E. Taylor Roads.

Intersection of East Beach Blvd and Church Avenue, Gulfport, MS, United States

17022755566 72efd738d4 m
Kellier-Sternberg House. The Ionic-columned, neoclassical house that once stood here was originally built ca. 1900 for T.G.B. Kellier and was later owned by Edward Sternberg, southeastern claims and litigation manager for the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. In 1999, "The Chimneys" restaurant moved into the house from its former location at the Long Beach Harbor. The house was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Mississippi Department of Archives and History, 2013.

1600 E. Beach Blvd, Gulfport, MS, United States

16426305124 0788a42a07 m
Old Gulfport High School. The Gulfport High School, built in 1923 by architect N.W. Overstreet, replaced two earlier schools built in 1899 and 1905, both of which burned. Opened in 1924 at a new location on 15th Street, the school was converted to a junior high in 1977 due to consolidation and renamed Central Junior High School. This school closed in 1999. In 2001 the General Services Administration purchased the campus and began a renovation project. The Dan Russell Jr. United States Federal Courthouse Annex was completed in 2003. Mississippi Department of Archives and History, 2014.

15th Street near 20th Avenue, Gulfport, MS, United States

16428594313 aebc165862 m
Early Long Beach. In 1788, Nicholas and Marianne Ladner became the first Europeans to settle in this area. Their log house, known as "The Chimneys", was used as a navigation point for boats traveling from Mobile to New Orleans. After Nicholas's death, the Spanish granted the land to his widow. Much of modern Long Beach includes the Widow Ladner Claim. Mississippi Department of Archives and History, 1999.

Beach Blvd East and Gulf View Avenue, Long Beach, United States

16860954828 a38464c61e m
Scenic Drive Historic District. Due to the large number of 19th and early 20th century mansions once located here, Pass Christian's Scenic Drive was heralded as "The Newport of the South." Composed of architecturally significant vacation villas set among live oaks, this National Register listed historic district had the largest and best preserved collection of noteworthy beachfront manors on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. In 2005 Hurricane Katrina destroyed many of the historic buildings, especially in the western half of the district. Mississippi Department of Archives and History, 2013.

Intersection of E. Scenic Drive and St. Paul Avenue, Pass Christian, United States

16860932878 d36b3d99ae m
Saucier-Bidwell-Pratt House. Built ca. 1855 by Pierre Saucier, whose son was later mayor of Pass Christian, the two-story Greek Revival House located here had a central temple-like portico and square-columned galleries spanning its fa├žade, and an octagonal Gothic Revival outbuilding on its grounds. It was later the home of renowned New Orleans theatre impresario David Bidwell. Known locally as "Union Quarters," the house was destroyed during Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

E. Scenic Drive, just West of Davis Avenue, Pass Christian, United States

17048674025 346805bf62 m
Dixie "White House." Built by John Backe of New Orleans in 1851. Here in 1913 Pres. Woodrow Wilson and family spent winter vacation as guests of the owner, Miss Alice Herndon. Mississippi Department of Archives and History, 2008.

E. Scenic Drive at Lang Avenue, Pass Christian, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First home of Tennessee Williams. One of America's leading playwrights Tennessee Williams was born here March 26 1911. He received the Pulitzer Prize for 'Streetcar Named Desire' and 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.' Both stories set in the South.

300 Main Street, MS 39701, Columbus, MS, United States

Subjects
6944275223 8caccdd070 m
St. Mary's Cathedral. In 1837 Natchez was designated the See of the Roman Catholic Church in Mississippi. In 1842 Bishop J. M. Chanche began construction of this structure, the only church built as a cathedral in Mississippi.

121 S Union Street, Natchez, MS, United States