http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/

Sponsored by North Tyneside Tenants Forum. Building completed 4th June 1921 one of North Tyneside's first council houses.

340 Station Road, Wallsend, United Kingdom

Home of Tynemouth volunteer artillery. This period hall was built by local public subscription for Tynemouth's volunteer gunners founded in 1859 to top the Army list of volunteer artillery formations. Queen Elizabeth II granted the unit's successors the right to the word 'Tynemouth' under Royal Artillery on battle dress - a unique distinction in military annals.

Military Road, North Shields, United Kingdom

Victor Noble Rainbird was born in North Shields 12th December 1887. He was a prize-winning student of art on Tyneside and in London. This was the family home between 1917-1933, when he built his reputation as a brilliant painter and stained glass designer. He died 8th March 1936.

71 West Percy Street, North Shields, United Kingdom

First Tynemouth Station. This building was the booking hall and waiting room for the first railway station in Tynemouth. It was opened on 29th March 1847 by the Newcastle & Berwick Railway Company and designed by the architects John and Benjamin Green, but was superseded in 1882 by the current railway station now part of the Tyneside Metro System.

Allendale Road, Tynemouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
Stan Laurel. Born Arthur Stanley Jefferson in Ulverston, Cumbria on 16th June 1890, the "thin one" of the world famous Hollywood comedy team of Laurel and Hardy lived at No 8 Dockwray Square between 1897-1901. He died in Santa Monica, California, on 23rd February 1965, aged 74 years

6-7 Dockwray Square, North Shields, United Kingdom

Subjects
The headland of Pen Bal Crag. "The place where now stands the Monastery of Tynemouth was anciently called by the Saxons Benebalcrag" - Leland at the time of Henry VIII. So began the history of Tynemouth - its Priory, sacked by the Danes in 800, and Castle walls, started in 1095. Three Kings were buried within - Oswin, King of Deria (651); Osred, King of Northumbria (792); Malcolm III, King of Scotland (1093). Three crowns still adorn the North Tyneside coat of arms.

Front Street, Tynemouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
Robert Atkinson Westall. The acclaimed children's author was born here on 7th October 1929. He wrote over 40 books and received a number of literary awards. Some of his books used a local setting including 'The Machine Gunners'. He dies at Northwich, Cheshire on 15th April 1993.

7, Vicarage Street, North Shields, United Kingdom

Subjects
Clifford's Fort. Completed in 1672 and named after Lord Clifford of Cabal, this fort was first armed with 20 x 20 pdr and ten x 10 pdr cannons. Commanded by Governor of Tynemouth Castle until 1839. Headquarters of Tyne Division Royal Engineers (Volunteers) Submarine Miners 1888-1928.

Fish Quay, North Shields, United Kingdom

John Falconar Slater (1857-1837). A leading member of the Cullercoats Artists Colony, he lived in this house for the last 12 years of his life. Known as the 'weatherproof artist' for his practice of painting outdoors in all conditions, and an outstanding British Impressionist painter.

St. Oswin's Avenue, Cullercoats, United Kingdom

This is the site of the former Hudleston Arms Hotel where the renowned American artist Winslow Homer (1836-1910) first lodged when he resided in Cullercoats from April 1881 until November 1882.

Front Street, Cullercoats, United Kingdom

The Tyne Electrical Engineers. Formed in 1888 as Tyne Division Royal Engineers (Volunteers) Submarine Miners for the defence of the Tyne entrance. The unit was based on Clifford's Fort adjoining Fish Quay until 1928 before moving to this New Clifford's Fort drill hall. The "Tynes" survive still as 72 Engineer Regiment (Tyne Electrical Engineers) (V) at Gateshead.

Station Terrace, Tynemouth, United Kingdom

Dame Annie Maud Burnett. b. 1863-1950 d. lived here. Elected in 1910, she was the first and only woman member of Tynemouth Council until 1929 when three others were elected. Created a Dame Commander of the British Empire in 1918 for services during World War 1, she became the first woman mayor of Tynemouth in 1928. She was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1920.

10, Prior's Terrace, Tynemouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
Tynemouth Lodge Hotel. The building has been in use as a public house and residential hotel since 1799. Meals for prisoners were prepared in the cellar kitchens of this hotel and carried through an underground tunnel to the inmates of the Tynemouth House of Correction and Justice Room next door.

Tynemouth Road, North Shields, United Kingdom

Governor's Tree. Site of the Governor's Tree, where important visitors to Tynemouth were met as they disembarked in Pow Burn. These visitors included King Charles I in 1633 and King Henry VIII's commissioners, when they came to dispossess the monks of Tynemouth Priory in 1539.

Tynemouth Road, Tynemouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
Curry's Point. On 4th September 1739 Michael Curry was executed for the murder of the landlord of the Three Horseshoes Inn, Hartley. His body was afterwards hung in chains from a gibbet at this spot within sight of the scene of his crime. Ever since that gruesome event this headland has been known as Curry's Point.

Curry's Point, Whitley Bay, United Kingdom