8003742849 d3918f249a m
The First Duke of Northumberland. The first Duke of Northumberland was born here in 1712. Formerly Sir Hugh Smithson, he married Lady Elizabeth Percy & succeeded her father as Earl of Northumberland in 1750. He was made Duke of Northumberland in 1766 being the only Duke created by George III. The Duke retained a lifelong interest in & contact with his birthplaces Northallerton.

High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

Subjects
8163680240 61b8978aec m
The Older part of this cemetery is sited within the moat of a 12 th century Bishops' Palace. Demolished in 1663

250 High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

8163726822 342a128724 m
This inn stands on the site of a 14th century Austin Friary

89 High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

Subjects
8163703957 a32a0e148c m
Erected about 1725, the Golden Lion was a coaching inn on the Great North Road when it passed through Northallerton.

114 High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

Subjects
8163716153 4be7a0ccaa m
Northallerton Grammar School was founded before 1322 and occupied this building from its erection in 1776 until 1906.

240 High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

8163831133 67c5edc3f0 m
The Guild Hall, later the workhouse, stood on this site from 1444 until 1858.

230 High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

8164054342 f05421f9bf m
This hall was built by the "Market and Public Improvements Company Ltd" and officially opened on 22 nd December 1873.

Market Hall, High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

8164073866 ec910d86f4 m
This building stands on the sites of the old Golden Lion Inn and Frank Clarkson's shop. John Wesley preached at the Inn in 1745.

209 High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

Subjects
8164059827 427c801afe m
Erected in 1584, Porch House is Northallerton's oldest house, Charles I stayed here as a guest in 1640 and as a prisoner in 1647.

68-70 High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

Subjects
8164289377 cee87ac035 m
The North Riding Registry of Deeds was built here in 1736. It was converted into a house for the Registrar in 1782.

Zetland Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

8164310677 ddb79fc5f9 m
Formerly Vine House, this Tudor building housed the Quarter Sessions and the Post Office before it became a Cottage Hospital in 1877.

79 High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

8164327517 fe6cc11ea1 m
This building was a theatre from 1800 until 1832 and a Primitive Methodist Chapel from 1834 until 1889.

Alverton Lane, Northallerton, United Kingdom

8166393755 904c159e4a m
Vicarages have been built on sites opposite the Church since the 13th century.

249 High Street, Northallerton, United Kingdom

8166466782 683d54e3d9 m
Sunbeck House was erected as a workhouse in 1857. The Friarage Hospital was built on the site of a Carmelite Friary founded in 1356.

1 Priory Close, Northallerton, United Kingdom