http://www.heritagecity.org/index.htm

Norwich Hippodrome Also known as the Grand Opera House, the Hippodrome opened in 1903 and hosted a multitude of famous acts including Laurel & Hardy and the young Archie Leach before he went on to become the more famous Cary Grant

St Giles Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Corn Exchange Exchange Street takes its name from the Corn Exchange developed here in 1828 and redeveloped in 1868. Musicians Niccolo Paganini and Franz Liszt both performed here in the 19th century.

Jarrold's, Exchange Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Plains of Norwich The Dutch and Flemish who came to Norwich in the 16th century left their mark on the Norwich landscape and local language. From the Dutch 'plein', the Norwich 'plains' define the squares and open spaces of land, in the midst of the narrow maze of streets. Maddermarket Plain, St Giles' Plain, St Benedict's Plain, St Margaret's Plain and St Andrew's Hall Plain can be found in the Norwich Lanes area.

Expresso, St George's Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Reverend Johannes Elison 1581-1639 Johannes (or John) Elison was senior minister of the Dutch congregation in Norwich, which held its services in Dutch in Blackfriars' Hall. For more than 300 years the hall was known as the Dutch Church. Elison and his wife Mary had their portraits painted by Rembrandt in 1634 - they are the only English residents to have been painted by Rembrandt.

Princes Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
United Reformed Church Originally a Congregational Church the current building, along with the adjoining Church rooms on Redwell St, was designed by well-known Norwich architect Edward Boardman. He was also responsible, amongst other projects, for converting Norwich Castle into a Museum.

Princes Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Adrian Parmenter 1589-1663 The first Norwich Office of the Excise was built here in 1643, by Adrian Parmenter. He was a leading Parliamentarian and his home near here was attacked by Royalists in 1648. He was elected Mayor in 1641, but died in 1663 probably of rabies contracted from the bite of a mad fox.

Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
George Walpole Earl of Orford 1730-1791 Although at the time considered a rake and an eccentric, he gave generously to public subscriptions for planning improvements made in his time. Formerly known as Hog Hill this street was re-named Orford Hill in his honour.

Orford Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir Arthur Michael Samuel 1872-1942 The first Jewish Lord Mayor of Norwich was born in Timberhill. He was a generous benefactor to the city, especially in the wake of the disastrous floods in 1912. Later Conservative MP for Farnham, Secretary for Overseas Trade (1924-1927) and Financial Secretary to the Treasury (1927-1929), he was created 1st Baron Mancroft in 1932, choosing the title in recognition of his strong links to the City.

Red Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Greene Crosse M.D., F.R.C.S., F.R.S The celebrated surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital lived here. He published works on physiognomy, early uses of vaccination in Norfolk and the treatment of bladder stones.

Norwich, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Pablo Fanque 1810-1871 Pablo Fanque, real name William Darby, the first black British circus proprietor, was born in Norwich and lived near to this site. He is immortalised in the Beatles song Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite, with the line: 'The Hendersons will all be there, late of Pablo Fanque's fair, what a scene!'

John Lewis department store, All Saints Green, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Anthony de Solempne The first printer in Norwich, Anthony de Solempne was a refugee from Brabant in the Southern Netherlands. He arrived in 1567 and established his business at the sign of the White Dove, later the Edinburgh Arms, Dove Street. Although his productions were mostly in Dutch, Solempne also printed in English and French. He also traded in wine and is thought to have been one of the wealthiest members of the Stranger community in Norwich

Dove Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sarah Glover 1786-1867 The Norwich sol-fa is a music reading system devised by Sarah Glover in the 19th century. This technique utilized the ancient set of syllables do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, which allowed people to sight-read music more easily. Her methods became well known across the county and were later used by the Rev. John Curwen as the basis of his Tonic Sol-fa system. There is a memorial to her in the church.

St Benedicts Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Ironmongers' Arms A house has occupied this site since at least as far back as 1303. The present structure dates from the early-17th century. For long a baker's shop, this building has served as licensed premises since 1869. Until 2003 it was called the Ironmongers' Arms - believed to have been the only pub so-named in England.

Pottergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir John Mills (1908-2005) Oscar winner and star of over 100 feature films Sir John Mills went to school here when it was the Norwich High School for Boys. Apparently he hated it and claimed, as one of his achievements, that he broke the school bully's nose

Upper St Giles Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Strangers In 1565 the City authorities invited Protestant refugees from the Spanish Netherlands to settle in Norwich to boost the City's textile industry. 30 households of master weavers came over from Flanders, of which 24 were Flemish and 6 were French-speaking Walloons. Soon followed by many more, they became known as the Strangers, and at their peak accounted for over a third of the City's population.

Pottergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton BT. MP. 1786-1845 Buxton led the Parliamentary campaign responsible for the 1833 Act freeing the 700,000 slaves then held in the West Indies and elsewhere in the British Empire. Married into the Quaker Banking family of the Gurneys, he worked with Elizabeth Fry to improve conditions in prisons and reduce the number of crimes deemed worthy of the death penalty. He spoke at the Friends Meeting House in Norwich and used St Andrews Hall to organize meetings in favour of his various causes.

Upper Goat Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Elizabeth Fry 1780-1845 Born into the Quaker Banking family of the Gurneys, who founded what was to become the Barclays Bank empire, Elizabeth Fry worshipped at the Friends Meeting House and went on to become one of the most respected women's prison reformers in the world - she is, today, commemorated on the reverse of the English five pound note

Upper Goat Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Orford Cellar In the 1960s the Orford Cellar hosted performances from rock legends Jimi Hendrix, Ginger Baker, Rod Stewart, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Elton John and Geno Washington, courtesy of local impresario Howard Platt.The place to try out a new line-up before touring, the Orford also featured long lived and popular local acts including Lucas and The Emperors and The Continentals

Red Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Pettus House This building is the surviving part of a larger house which extended up to the churchyard, occupied in the 16th century by the Pettus Family. The family, members of which are buried in the church of St Simon & St Jude, were Mayors and Sheriffs of Norwich and prosperous cloth merchants. In the 17th century, several members of the family were early settlers in Virginia, USA.

41-43 Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Jem Mace 1831-1910 Referred to as the Father of Modern Boxing, Jem Mace became World Heavyweight Champion in 1870 and subsequently became landlord of the White Swan from which Swan Lane takes its name.

Swan Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Maddermarket Theatre Built in 1794 as a Roman Catholic chapel, the theatre was purchased in 1921 by William Nugent Blight Monck CBE and converted into the home of the Guild of Norwich Players. It was the first permanent recreation of an Elizabethan Theatre. The Guild became the Maddermarket Theatre Company in 1993. In 1940 George Bernard Shaw wrote to Monck: "There is nothing in British theatrical history more extraordinary than your creation of the Maddermarket Theatre..."

Maddermarket Theatre, St John's Alley, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Romani DNA A skeleton discovered during excavations of an 11th century graveyard near this spot has been found to have a mitochondrial DNA marker unique to the Romani people. This is the earliest evidence for a person of Romani descent in the British Isles, and is 400 years earlier than any documentary reference to their presence.

Golden Ball Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Norfolk and Norwich Subscription Library From 1837-1976, this building housed a private Subscription Library, founded in 1784 and originally located in St Andrew's Hall. The Hall was also the site for Norwich City Library. Founded in 1608, it was the first library to be established by a corporation in a corporately owned building outside London. Norwich was also the first city in Britain to adopt the Public Libraries Act of 1850.

Guildhall Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
33 Timberhill This two-storey brick block dates to around 1700, and has its original attics and cellar. Although the rear dormer is of 19th century date, it is otherwise a very well preserved example of what Timberhill would have looked like in the 18th century.

33 Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Baptist Particular Chapel This 18th century building, which was originally a warehouse, was bought by the Particular Baptists in 1832 for £1150 and converted into a chapel which was used by them from 1833 to 1975. At the time there were eight Baptist chapels in central Norwich.

Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Murderers Public House The Murderers/Gardeners Arms Public House is unusual in that it has two names. The Murderers name commemorates events that took place here in June 1895, when Frank Miles murdered his estranged wife Mildred, who lived here with her mother. He was given the death penalty, but this was later commuted to life imprisonment after public outcry, on the grounds that he had been provoked. Frank died in Parkhurst prison in 1905.

The Murderers pub, Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Fishergate This area may have been the first settlement that can be thought of as 'Norwich', in its original forms NORTHWIC and NORVIC. Archaeological finds in Fishergate go back to the 8th century AD, and a coin of King Athelstan (reigned 924-939), which refers to NORVIC, is likely to have been minted in a defended area on the north bank of the River Wensum. In the 19th century a property here was known as 'Mint Yard' and may have commemorated the ancient mint.

21-15 Fishergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Boom Towers were built in 1344 to defend the approach to Norwich by water. The use of a chain across the water, between the two towers, controlled river traffic and prevented the unauthorised entry of vehicles. The eastern tower is known as the Devil's Tower.

near Carrow Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

In 1872, aged 32, Philippa Flowerday was employed by Colmans and became the first industrial nurse. She provided care for the employees of the Carrow Works factory by helping the doctor each morning and taking supplies to the sick at home. It is thought that she made over 45 visits a week. It was the first post of its kind to be established in Britain.

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Carrow Works site was bought by Colmans in 1850. From this site the firm grew to become Norwich's biggest manufacturer.

near Carrow Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Paston House In the 14th-15th centuries a house on this site belonged to members of the Paston family, who wrote the famous Paston Letters which chronicle the lives of a wealthy Norfolk family during the Wars of the Roses. After the fire of 1507, the present house was built by Augustine Steward, three times Mayor and also Sheriff of Norwich.

The Strangers' Club, 22-24 Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Wright's Court The only remaining example of a residential court leading off Elm Hill, and one of only a handful to survive in Norwich. These courts or yards were a common form of habitation for working people in the City from Medieval times until the 1920s, but many were demolished during slum clearance. Several families lived in each house, sharing one pump and a privy in the yard.

Wright's Court, off Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Britons Arms This is the only house in Elm Hill to escape the fire of 1507 and the cellars date from the 13th century. In the early 15th century it was a "Beguinage", a community of lay single women who devoted themselves to a life of prayer and charitable work.

Britons Arms, 9 Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Paper Mill Yard lies just outside the medieval city limits. These were defined by the City Walls which formed a 2 1/2 mile (4km) defensive barrier around the city. They included 12 gates, one of which, Conesford Gate, stood here until 1794, guarding entry into Norwich via King Street. All of the medieval gates were removed around this time because they were considered too expensive to maintain.

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Carrow Bridge was built in 1810. It linked Carrow Hill directly with the north-eastern end of Carrow Road. The bridge remained in use until the new bridge was opened to the west in 1923.

Carrow Bridge, Norwich, United Kingdom

Paper Mill Yard formed a small part of the Carrow Works factory development, established by Colmans in the 19th century. The name comes from the paper mill, which was found at this part of the site between 1884 and 1900. The buildings on the site not only produced the mustard for which the Colmans brand is so famous - flour, cereals, starch, sauces, baby food and laundry blue were all manufactured here.

Paper Mill Yard, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Wild Man pub is thought to commemorate Peter the Wild Boy (c.1711-1785), a feral child who was, for a time, kept by King George I as a curiosity. In 1751 he mysteriously turned up in Norwich and was briefly imprisoned in the Bridewell as a vagrant before being returned to his guardians in Berkhampstead in Hertfordshire.

Bedford Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
First Provincial Newspaper The Norwich Post, England's first provincial newspaper, was first printed on this site in 1701 by Francis Burges. The City also claims the record for the longest continuously printed local newspaper, the Norwich Mercury, founded in 1714.

Castle Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
George Rossi Italian gold and silversmith George Rossi, who had fought under Marshal Soult, Napoleon's Chief of Staff at Waterloo, came to Norwich and established a business on this site. Rossi's survived for 4 generations, until its eventual closure in March 1936, when Mr Theodore Rossi, who had been associated with the business for 54 years, decided to retire.

9 Guildhall Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
St Christopher's Church A pre-Conquest church dedicated to St Christopher stood on this site. This dedication is very rare, with only 9 pre-Reformation examples in England. The church burnt down during the reign of Henry III (1216-1272) and the parish was then divided between St Andrew's and St Michael at Plea.

Princes Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Pellegrino Mazzotti c.1785-c.1870 A sculptor from Lucca, Italy, Pellegrino Mazzotti established a studio in Charing Cross, adjoining Strangers' Hall, in 1819. In the years 1821-29 he exhibited with the Norwich Society of Artists. Subjects for his work included Shakespeare, Norwich School painter John Crome, Lord Nelson and founder of the Methodist Church John Wesley.

Charing Cross, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Asger A former house on this site was occupied by a merchant of Bruges, John Asger. He was elected Mayor of Norwich in 1426. Another of his properties, next to St Lawrence's church, was gifted to a group of poor, religious women or beguines. This was one of 3 beguinages in Norwich, not found anywhere else in England. There is a memorial to Asger in St Lawrence's church.

Charing Cross, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Herbert Rumsey Wells 1877-1937 In 1904 Herbert Rumsey Wells became a partner in his father's cap-making firm, T. Wells & Son - the business supplied caps and hats, as well as ties, sashes and ribbons. The workshop was located close to this site. In his advertisements of 1935, H. Rumsey Wells described himself as "the most expensive capmaker in all the world". His "doggie" caps became well known all over the world. The business ceased trading in 1974

Rumsey Wells Place, Charing Cross, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Bell Hotel With its origins in the late 15th century, the Bell (originally the Blue Bell) retains much of the character of an 18th century coaching inn. Its most notable associations are with 18th century and 19th century clubs including the French inspired Revolution Club (1793); the anti Methodist Hell Fire Club, which victimised Charles and John Wesley in 1754; the Eldon Club, which included the Duke of Wellington among its members; and a Lilliput Parliament for young people in 1837.

Bell Hotel, Red Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Aeronautical Firsts In 1797 William Moore founded a company close to this site which was eventually to become Boulton & Paul Ltd. This company developed the first all metal framed aeroplane with the first ever major use of plastic in an aircraft in the world, exhibited at the Salon d'Aeronautique in Paris of 1919. It also built the airframe for the largest airship in the world at the time in 1925, the R101. The company is most famously known for the wartime nightfighter the Boulton Paul Defiant.

London Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects