29665209241 bcd5432727 m
Dans cette maison, le 7 mars 1767, est mort, à l'âge de 87 ans, Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, né à Montréal, Chevalier de St. Louis, Lieutenant de Roi, Commandant Général et Gouverneur de la Louisiane, 1699 à 1743, fondateur de la Nouvelle-Orléans en 1718. In this house, on March 7 1767, died at the age of 87 years Jean Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, born in Montreal, Chevalier of St. Louis, Lieutenant of the King, Commandant General and Governor of Louisiana, 1699-1743, founder of New Orleans in 1718.

In this house, on March 7 1767, died at the age of 87 years Jean Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, born in Montreal, Chevalier of St. Louis, Lieutenant of the King, Commandant General and Governor of Louisiana, 1699-1743, founder of New Orleans in 1718.

17 rue Vivienne, Paris, France

Subjects
26547191031 22384e1ca5 m
Cucullu Row. Built in 1828 by James Lambert and Louis Lemoyne for Simon Cucullu, these six rowhouses survive as the oldest intact row in the Vieux Carré. Desporte Pharmacy operated here from 1877 to 1970. On this corner once stood the 1730 celestial observatory of architect-scientist Pierre Baron. It was replaced by the Conde Market in 1782. This was followed by a fish market in 1784, which was enlarged in 1785 and 1786. The great fire of 1788 destroyed the market complex.

838 Chartres St., New Orleans, LA, United States

26547143161 dc2a4d105f m
Residence of Don Manuel Lanzos, Captain of the Spanish Army. Erected 1788 in the French colonial style, Robert Jones, an American, builder. Site of the birthplace of Renato Beluche (1781-1860), a lieutenant of Jean Lafitte's Baratarians, who participated in the Battle of New Orleans, later Admiral of the Venezuelan Navy. The house was referred to as "Madame John's Legacy" in Geo. W. Cable's story 'Tite Poulette' in 1879. An earlier house was erected on part of this site about 1725 by Jean Pascal., a sailor killed in the Natchez Massacre in 1729, and occupied by his widow until her death in 1777. The house was presented to the Louisiana State Museum by Mrs. Stella Hirsch Lemann on June 23,1947. Restored in 1974.

628 Dumaine Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

26520006752 383dfc79ac m
Site of the First U.S. District Court. In 1792 the Spanish colonial government built a boys' public school on this site. After the Louisiana Purchase it served as the First United States District Court of the Louisiana Territory. Here, in 1815, after the Battle of New Orleans, General Andrew Jackson was fined $1000 for contempt of court in a dispute following his refusal to lift martial law before confirmation of peace was received. The old building was demolished in 1888,when the present building was erected.

919 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

16742344385 982994a53a m
Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France. The first church on this site, designed by Adrien de Pauger, was erected 1724-1727 and was destroyed in the great fire of 1788. The second church - a gift of Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, designed by Gilberto Guillemard - begun in 1789 and dedicated as a Cathedral on Christmas Eve 1794. This church served until it was enlarged and essentially rebuilt 1849-1851 from designs of J.N.B. de Pouilly, architect. Designated as the Metropolitan Church of the Archdiocese of New Orleans in 1850. On December 9, 1964, Pope Paul VI bestowed upon it the rank of Minor Basilica. Dedicated May 1968 in honor of the 250 anniversary of the founding of New Orleans, and in commemoration of service for 175 years of the Diocese est. April 25, 1793. Orleans Parish landmarks Commission. 1968

Jackson Square, New Orleans, LA, United States

16554957650 8c3dfb6f1a m
Jackson Square. French colonial Place d'Armes, 1721-1768. Laid out by Adrien de Pauger, March 29, 1721 according to the original city plan of Le Blond de la Tour, Engineer-in-Chief of Louisiana. Spanish colonial Plaza de Armas, 1768-1803. Here took place the flag ceremonies symbolizing the transfer of Louisiana from Spain to France Nov. 30, 1803 and from France to the United States Dec. 20, 1803. After completion of the Pontalba buildings in 1851 by the Baroness Pontalba, and through her efforts, the square was redesigned and named Jackson Square. Cast iron fence designed by Louis H. Pilié, City Surveyor. Erected 1851 by Pelanne Bros. of New Orleans. Statue of Andrew Jackson by Clark Mills, sculptor, unveiled Feb. 9, 1856. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission. Leonard V. Huber, President. Raymond A. Mix, Vice President. Harold J. Smith, Jr., Treasurer. Sidney L. Villeré, Secretary. Samuel Wilson, Jr., Historian. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission. 1961. [There is a relief sculpture image of the "Plaza de Armas 1803" at the top of the plaque.]

Jackson Square, facing St. Louis Cathedral, New Orleans, LA, United States

16716471786 fff42a6d6f m
Bank of Louisiana. Erected 1826. Built by Bickle, Hamlet & Fox; the iron fence and gates were made by Sterling & Co. of New York. In 1840 the building was damaged by fire and repairs were made. Another fire occurred in 1861, after which the structure was again restored and the Royal Street entrance added from the plans of James Gallier, Jr., architect. The bank was liquidated in 1867 and for a short time the building was used as the Conveyance Office. In 1868-1869 it served as the State Capitol of Louisiana. In 1870 it was occupied by the Royal Street Auctioneers Exchange. Between 1871 and 1873 the building was used as a concert hall, beer saloon. When the city refused permission to continue the saloon operation, the building was remodelled for the use of the Superior Criminal Court. The court was abolished in 1877 and from 1879 until 1908 the building served as the office of the Recorder of Mortgages and Conveyances. In 1912 it served briefly as the Juvenile Court. In 1921 it was occupied by the American Legion and from 1926 to 1971 it served as the social hall for Crescent City Post 125. During the 1920's part of the building was also occupied by the United States Shipping Board Sea Service Bureau. A third fire damaged the building in 1931. In 1971 the exterior of the building was restored and the interior remodelled for the use of the Greater New Orleans Tourist and Convention Commission. Plaque dedicated 1976 on the sesquicentennial anniversary of the erection of the building. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission. 1976

334 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

9853700415 eca0d3b251 m
The Presbytère. Designed in 1791 by Gilberto Guillemard, Architect, as the rectory of the Church of St. Louis. Construction, begun through the generosity of Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, was halted when he died in 1798. The building remained unfinished, only one story high, until it was completed by the wardens of St. Louis Cathedral in 1813, Burlie and Guillot, builders. Never used for its intended purpose as a rectory or presbytère, the building was rented to the city by the Cathedral wardens for use as a court house and sold by them to the city in 1853. The rear wings were erected in 1940 by Gobet and Larochette, builders, Benjamin Buisson, architect. The Mansard roof was added in 1847 by Gobet and Amiel, builders. Transferred to the Louisiana State Museum in 1911. Renovated by the State of Louisiana in 1962-63 for the museum. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission, 1964.

751 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

17136338457 26df7e04e4 m
Julia Row. Thirteen identical residences erected 1832-33 for the New Orleans Building Company. James H. Dakin, Architect. Alexander T. Wood, Supervising Architect. Daniel T. Twogood, Builder. Many prominent families lived here and the second house from St. Charles Avenue was the childhood home of Henry Hobson Richardson (1838-1886), Boston architect famous for the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The building at 604 Julia Street was purchased in 1976 and restored by the Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans. This plaque was given in memory of Stanton M. Frazar (1931-1987) by the Friends of The Cabildo, the Louisiana Landmarks Society, the Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans, the St. Charles Avenue Association, and Save Our Cemeteries. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission. 1988.

604 Julia Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

8247453825 19192d17c7 m
Brevard-Rice House. Built in 1857 for Albert Hamilton Brevard. James H. Calrow, Architect. Charles Pride, Builder. Owened by Brevard heirs until 1869. Purchased then by Emory Clapp, who added the library wing on the left. It remained in the Clapp family until 1935. It was then owned and occupied by the families of Dr. Frank Brostrom from 1935 to 1947, Judge John Minor Wisdom from 1947 to 1972, and John A. Mmahat from 1972 to 1988. Purchased in 1989 by the novelist Anne Rice and her husband, the poet and painter, Stan Rice. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission, 1991.

1239 First Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

16716440706 c9eb2fa438 m
Faulkner House. Here in 1925, William Faulkner, Nobel Laureate, wrote his first novel "Soldiers Pay." The building was erected in 1840 by the widow of Jean Baptiste LaBranche on a site formerly occupied by part of the yard and buildings of the French colonial prison.

624 Pirate's Alley, New Orleans, LA, United States

7016130017 8a33d65412 m
Avart-Peretti House erected 1842 as a two-story house for Mme. Augustine Eugenie of Lassize widow of Louis Robert Avart J.N.B. de Pouilly and Ernest Gouuchaux architect-builders. From 1906 through 1923 it was the residence and studio of the artist Achille Peretti. During 1946 and 1947 Tennessee Williams lived here and wrote 'A Streetcar Named Desire'

623 St. Peter Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA, United States

Subjects
8235903558 e396098bb0 m
Gallier House Erected 1857 for his own residency by James Gallier, Jr. 1827-1868 Architect of the French Opera House and other notable buildings. Here he died on May 16, 1868. Owned by his descendants until 1917. This property was part of the grounds of the Ursuline Convent from 1727 until 1825.

1132 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

6954268693 791d18485b m
Colonel Short's Villa. Built in 1859 for Colonel Robert H. Short of Kentucky, commission merchant. Henry Howard, Architect. Robert Huyghe, Builder. In 1832 this property, which was part of the Livaudais Plantation was subdivided into city squares. September 1, 1863 the house was seized by the Federal forces occupying the city as property of an absent Rebel. In March 1864 the house briefly served as the executive mansion of the newly elected Federal governor of Louisiana, Michael Hahn. It then became the residence of Major General Nathaniel P. Banks, U.S. Commander, Department of the Gulf. On August 15, 1865, the house was returned to Colonel Short by the U.S. Government and he lived in it until his death in 1890. An addition was made in 1906 and the house was restored in 1950. The unusual cast iron Morning-Glory and cornstalk fence was furnished by the Philadelphia Foundry of Wood and Miltenberger.

1448 Fourth Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

3257922403 28e73e87db m
Benjamin House. This house in the suburb of Hurstville was purchased in 1853 by Judah P. and Joseph Benjamin and occupied by their widowed sister Rebecca Benjamin Levy until confiscated on August 20, 1889, by the U.S. Treasury Department as property of an enemy of the United States. Judah P. Benjamin, U.S. Senator from Louisiana and later Secretary of War and State for the Confederacy, was a frequent visitor here. The house originally faced St. Charles Avenue and was moved to this site in 1892.

1630 Arabella Street, New Orleans, LA, United States