http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/phmc_home/1426

"Common Sense". At his print shop here, Robert Bell published the first edition of Thomas Paine's revolutionary pamphlet in January 1776. Arguing for a republican form of government under a written constitution, it played a key role in rallying American support for independence.

South 3rd Street, Philadelphia, PA, United States

Subjects
Robert Smith Here stood the home of colonial Philadelphia's leading architect and builder. Born Jan. 14, 1722 at Dalkeith, Scotland, he died Feb. 11, 1777. Among his buildings are the Christ Church steeple, St. Peter's Church, the Walnut Street Prison, and Carpenters' Hall.

2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA, United States

Subjects
Old Court House "Widow Piper's Tavern," used for Cumberland County court-sessions, 1750-1751, until a court house was erected at Carlisle, the county seat. The house is now the home of the Shippensburg Civic Club.

King Street, Shippensburg, PA, United States

First World Series In October 1903, National League Champion Pittsburgh played American League Champion Boston in major league baseball's first modern World Series. Boston won the best-of-9 series, 5 games to 3; prominent players included Pittsburgh Honus Wagner and Boston's Cy Young. Games 4 through 7 were played near this site at Exposition Park, Pittsburgh's home from 1891 to 1909.

Roberto Clemente Memorial Park, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

The First all steel and concrete ballpark in the nation, Forbes Field was home to the Pirates, site of four World Series in 1909, 1925, 1927, & 1960 and two All-Star games. Hosted the Homestead Greys, Steelers, and Pitt Panthers, as well as Political rallies and boxing matches. Site of Bill Mazeroski's game seven, ninth inning, world series winning home run on October 13, 1960 and Babe Ruth's last 3 home runs. Damaged by fire; razed 1972

Roberto Clemente Dr, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Barry Dreyfuss (1865-1932) Owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates, 1900-1932, and legendary baseball leader influential in initiating the first World series, 1903. He led Pirates to 6 National League and 2 World series titles and was vital to building Forbes Field here 1909

Schenley drive, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Subjects
Joshua (Josh) Gibson (1911-1947) Hailed as Negro league's greatest slugger, he hit some 800 home runs in a baseball career that began here at Ammon's Field in 1929. Played for the Homestaed Greys and Pittsburgh Crawfords, 1930-46. elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, '72

2217 bedford Ave, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Adams County. Formed January 22, 1800 out of York County. The name honors President John Adams. Important center of fruit growing industry. County seat of Gettysburg, incorporated 1806, was site in 1863 of key Civil War battle and President Lincoln's great address.

Old Courthouse, Baltimore & W. Middle Sts. (Bus. 15 & PA 116), Gettysburg, PA, United States

Subjects
Dobbin House. Built in 1776 by the Rev. Alexander Dobbin. In use for some 25 years as one of the first classical schools west of the Susquehanna River. It is now a museum refurnished in keeping with the early period.

Business U.S. 15 (Steinwehr Ave.) near Pa. 134, Gettysburg, PA, United States

Dwight D. Eisenhower. The future President of the U.S., General of the Army, and Supreme Commander in Europe in WWII lived in this house with his wife Mamie and infant son Icky in the spring and summer of 1918. An Army captain, he was then commanding Camp Colt at Gettysburg.

157 N. Washington St., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Subjects
Eddie Plank. Baseball great. One of the most dominant pitchers of the twentieth century. "Gettysburg Eddie" compiled a record of 326-194 throughout his career (1901-17), mostly with the Philadelphia Athletics. He won 20 Games or more eight times and helped the A's win six pennants and three world championships. Plank was born here, attended Gettysburg Academy. He retired and died in Gettysburg. Elected to Baseball Hall of Fame,1946.

intersection of Carlisle St. & West Lincoln Ave., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Field Hospital. Wounded of the Sixth U.S. Cavalry and Sixth Virginia Cavalry C.S.A. were cared for in this church building after a severe engagement that took place two miles north of here on July 3, 1863.

Pa. 116 (Main St.) at St. John Lutheran Church, Fairfield, PA, United States

Gettys Crossroads and Tavern. Here the Shippensburg-Baltimore and the Philadelphia-Pittsburgh Roads crossed. Near the crossroads, stood the tavern of Samuel Gettys. In 1775, troops gathered here for Continental service.

44 York St., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. A major cavalry engagement took place July 3, 1863, about one mile southeast of here. A succession of mounted charges by Gen. David McM. Gregg's Union force prevented Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry from reaching the Union rear and drove the confederates from the field.

Rt. 30 & Calvary Field Rd., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. On July 4, 1863, the Confederate Army began an orderly retreat by the Fairfield Road to the Potomac. They began crossing the river on the night of July 13, after a delay caused by high water.

Fairfield Rd. (PA 116), near western junction with Breams Hill Rd., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. Part of General Jubal Early's Confederate Division, marching by Mummasburg and Hunterstown, passed here June 27, 1863, on the way to York. Returning June 30, they passed a little to the north, toward Heidlersburg.

PA 394 just west of PA 94, Hampton, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. Crossing South Mountain from Chambersburg, Gen. Hill's Corps of Lee's army assembled here on June 29-30, 1863. On July 1, his advance guard moved up from near Marsh Creek and met Union troops west of Gettysburg.

Old Rte. 30 just west of SR 3011, Cashtown, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. Gen. Early's Confederate troops, marching from York to join Lee's army, camped, June 30, three miles to the east. Arriving here next morning, they turned south toward Gettysburg, on orders of General Ewell.

SR 3001 (old US 15) just south of Rt. 234, Heidlersburg, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. The Union Army 11th Corps, crossing from the Emmitsburg Road, July 1, 1863, turned north here toward Gettysburg. The Union 2nd Corps camped here on the same night.

PA 134 at SR 1002 (Taneytown & Greenmount Rds.), at Barlow Fire Company, Barlow, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. The Union Army 1st Corps camped here June 30, 1863, on the way to Gettysburg. Followed later by the 11th and 3rd Corps, they marched next morning to relieve Buford's cavalry, already in action west of the town.

Old US 15 near Marsh Creek, Greenmount, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. Gen. Rodes' Confederate troops, returning from Carlisle to join Lee's army, camped here the night of June 30. The next morning, July 1, they marched west toward Biglerville, then known as Middletown.

SR 3001 (old Rt. 15), Heidlersburg, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. Part of Gen. Early's Confederate army, under Gen. J.B. Gordon, passed here June 27, 1863, to York. Early's main force followed a parallel route through Hampton and East Berlin. Both entered York the following day.

US 30 just E of PA 94 junction, at Cross Keys, New Oxford, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. Part of Gen. Early's Confederate army, under Gen. J.B. Gordon, passed here June 27, 1863, to York. Early's main force followed a parallel route through Hampton and East Berlin. Both entered York the following day.

US 30 just W of PA 94 junction, at Cross Keys, New Oxford, PA, United States

John Hanson "Hance" Steelman (1655-1749) - PLAQUE. Indian trader and interpreter of Maryland and Pennsylvania. First settler in this valley. Born of Swedish parents along the Delaware. This tablet erected by Liberty Twp. and Fairfield Area Bicentennial Cmte.

SW corner intersection of Steelman Marker Rd., Crum Rd. (T-111), & Topper Rd. (T-312), Zora, PA, United States

Lincoln Cemetery. Established in 1867 by the Sons of Good Will for the proper burial of Gettysburg's African American citizens and Civil War veterans. Some thirty Civil War veterans of the U.S. Colored Troops are buried here, having been denied burial in the National Cemetery because of segregation policies. Also buried here are veterans of the Spanish-American War, World Wars I and II, and the Korean conflict. First known as Good Will Cemetery, renamed in 1920.

Intersection of Lincoln & Long Lanes, Gettysburg, PA, United States

Manor of Maske. Surveyed in 1766. Named for an estate in England. The Manor was about 6 miles wide and 12 miles long with the southern boundary at present Mason-Dixon Line. It was the second largest reserved estate of the Penns in Pennsylvania. The western boundary line of the Manor was near this point.

U.S. 30 near SR 1077, Seven Stars, PA, United States

McAllister's Mill Underground Railroad Station. At their grist mill on nearby Rock Creek, James McAllister and his family provided temporary shelter to hundreds of fugitive slaves. Now in ruin, it was part of one of the earliest UGRR networks through which freedom seekers passed on their way north. It was the site of a significant gathering of abolitionists on July 4, 1836, that led to the formation of the Adams County Anti-Slavery Society, an early and influential abolitionist organization.

1360 Baltimore Pike, Gettysburg, PA, United States

Old Courthouse. First courthouse for Adams County stood in old Center Square from 1804 to 1859. The land for the Square was given by James Gettys.

SW section of Square, York (Rt. 30) & Baltimore Sts., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Rock Chapel. This is the oldest Methodist place of worship in this region. Built originally in 1773. Rebuilt in 1849, the second building is still standing about a mile north of this point on the side road.

SR 3001 / Old US 15 (Old Harrisburg Rd.) & SR 1016 (Oxford Rd.), Heidlersburg, PA, United States

Sachs Covered Bridge. Located just SE of here on the intersecting road. Built in 1852 by David S. Stoner, this lattice-truss bridge (based on a design patented by Connecticut architect Ithiel Town) extends 100 feet across Marsh Creek. Both Union and Confederate troops used it in 1863. Closed to automobiles after 1968, it suffered flood damage in 1996 but was restored by Adams County as a scenic bridge.

Pumping Station Rd. (SR 3005) & Waterworks Rd., SW of Eisenhower Nat'l. Hist site, Gettysburg, PA, United States

Studebaker Home. Built ca. 1790 by David Studebaker, carpenter, farmer, and minister. He was related to the family that later built wagons and automobiles. The house is privately maintained as a museum.

200 W. King St. (PA 234) W of Abbottstown St. (PA 194), East Berlin, PA, United States

Tapeworm Railroad. Begun in 1836 by the State of Pennsylvania, largely through the efforts of Thaddeus Stevens. The meandering railroad''s nickname was provided by its opponents. It was put up for sale in 1842. Just west of here stands its granite stone viaduct.

Fairfield Rd. (PA 116) & Iron Springs Rd. (SR 3014), Fairfield, PA, United States

Subjects
Thaddeus Stevens. Lawyer, congressman, abolitionist, ironmaster, and defender of free public schools in Pennsylvania, lived in a house that stood on this site. He moved from here in 1842.

51 Chambersburg St., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Subjects
Wills House. Abraham Lincoln was a guest of David Wills in this house, Nov. 18 and 19, 1863. Here he met Governor Curtin and others, greeted the public, and completed his Gettysburg Address.

SE section of Square, York St. (Rt. 30) & Baltimore/Carlisle St. (Rt. 116), Gettysburg, PA, United States

Subjects
1909 McKee's Rocks Strike. On July 14, unskilled immigrant workers led a strike against the Pressed Steel Car Company. Strain among the strikers, replacement laborers, and state police erupted into a riot on August 22. Eleven men were killed near this footbridge. Strikers were aided by the Industrial Workers of the World.

812 Island Ave. at McKees Rocks Bridge, Stowe Township, PA, United States

Allegheny Arsenal. Designed by Benjamin H. Latrobe and constructed in 1814. The Arsenal was used as a military garrison, in the manufacture and storing of supplies during the Civil War, Indian Wars, and Spanish American War.

40th St. near Davidson at Arsenal Park, opposite #257, Lawrenceville, PA, United States

Allegheny Cotton Mill Strikes. Major strikes by women cotton factory workers protesting 12-hour work-days occurred nearby in Allegheny City in 1845 & 1848. The strikes led to an 1848 state law limiting workdays to 10 hours and prohibiting children under twelve years of age from working in cotton and textile mills.

Allegheny Landing, north side, near river at 6th St. Bridge, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Subjects
Allegheny County. Formed September 24, 1788 out of Westmoreland and Washington counties. Named for the Allegheny River. County seat of Pittsburgh was laid out 1764; became a city in 1816. A center of the iron, steel and other industries and "Workshop of the World."

County Courthouse, Grant St. between 5th & Forbes Aves., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Allegheny Observatory. Part of the University of Pittsburgh. Chartered 1860; located here since 1912. At the original site nearby, Professor Samuel P. Langley conducted experiments that would lead to the first sustained, mechanically powered flight in 1896.

Riverview Ave. in Riverview Park (off US 19) near Observatory, Observatory Hill, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

August Wilson (1945-2005). Co-founder of Pittsburgh's Black Horizon Theater and the author of a cycle of ten plays that have been hailed as a unique triumph in American literature. The plays cover each decade of the 20th century and most focus on African American life in the Hill District. Two of the plays, "Fences" and "The Piano Lesson," won Pulitzer prizes for best drama in 1987 and 1990; "Fences" also won Broadway's Tony Award. This site is Wilson's birthplace.

1727 Bedford Ave., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Subjects
Avery College. To the south, at Nash and Avery Streets, stood Avery College. Founded in 1849 by Charles Avery (1784-1858), Methodist lay preacher, philanthropist, abolitionist, to provide a classical education for Negroes.

619 Ohio St., North Side, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Subjects
Barney Dreyfuss (1865-1932). Owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates, 1900-1932, and legendary baseball leader influential in initiating the first modern World Series, 1903. He led Pirates to 6 National League and 2 World Series titles and was vital to building Forbes Field here, 1909.

Posvar Hall, University of Pittsburgh, Oakland section, PA, United States

Bethel A. M. E. Church. Founded 1808 & known as the African Church. Chartered in 1818. Located nearby in early years, church was site of area's first school for colored children, 1831, & statewide civil rights convention, 1841. Congregation moved to Wylie Avenue, 1872; to Webster Avenue, 1959.

405 1st Ave., at Smithfield St., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Subjects
Bethel Presbyterian Church. Founded 1776, in the Old Stone Manse in South Park, by Rev. John McMillan, pioneer minister and educator. It is the mother of five nearby churches and has given its name to the community. In the cemetery, 14 Revolutionary War soldiers from this area are buried.

2977 Bethel Church Rd. (county highway) between PA 88 & US 19, Bethel Park, PA, United States

Bost Building. Completed, early 1892. Through that summer, it was headquarters for the strike committee of the Amalgamated Association of Iron & Steel Workers. Telegraph lines installed here transmitted the news from journalists who were covering the Homestead Strike.

617-623 E 8th Ave. near Heisel St., Homestead, PA, United States

Bouquet Camp. Bouquet Camp, a base of supply in the Forbes campaign in 1758 forcing the French to abandon Fort Duquesne, was about three miles east. Named in honor of Col. Bouquet, second in command and builder of the Forbes Road.

Saltsburg Rd. (PA 380) & Frankstown Ave. (Petermans Corner), Penn Hills Township, PA, United States

Bower Hill. Site of Gen. John Neville's mansion, burned to the ground by insurgents during a major escalation of violence in the Whiskey Rebellion, July 16-17, 1794. Gen. Neville was Inspector of Revenue under President Washington. In the two-day battle, Neville with his slaves and a small federal detachment met a force of over 500 rebels. Two opposition leaders, Oliver Miller and James McFarlane, were killed.

292 Kane Blvd., Scott Twp., Bridgeville, PA, United States

Braddock's Crossing. Below this hill, about midday on July 9, 1755, a British army of 1300 made its second crossing of the river and advanced to drive the French from Fort Duquesne. A few hours later, with General Braddock mortally wounded and his army routed, survivors recrossed, pursued by the French and Indians.

Hoffman & Kennywood (PA 837) Blvds. at Kennywood Park, West Mifflin, PA, United States

Braddock's Defeat. July 9, 1755 Gen. Braddock's British forces en route to capture Fort Duquesne were ambushed and routed by French and Indians within present limits of Braddock and North Braddock, forcing retreat and failure of the expedition.

562 Jones Ave., east side, near Braddock Lib., Braddock, PA, United States

Braddock's Field. Known as the high tide of the Whiskey Rebellion, the rendezvous of militias from Pennsylvania's four western counties took place here, August 1-2, 1794. This was the largest armed resistance to the national government between the Revolutionary and Civil War eras. Although this demonstration by 5,000 to 7,000 men was essentially peaceful, it signaled to the government a need for military force to suppress the revolt.

549 Jones Ave., Washington Statue Park, Braddock, PA, United States