http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/phmc_home/1426

Carnegie Hero Fund Commission. Established April 15, 1904, by Andrew Carnegie. The Pittsburgh-based foundation awards the Carnegie Medal in the U.S. and Canada to persons who risk their lives to save others. Heroic acts that followed the January 25, 1904, explosion in the nearby Harwick Mine inspired Carnegie, who also founded ten similar funds in Europe. Many of the explosion's 181 victims are buried in St. Mark's Cemetery just south of here.

301 Pittsburgh St. (SR 1001, old PA 28), Springdale, PA, United States

Subjects
Carnegie Library of Homestead Swim Team. Carnegie Library opened here 1898. Host to athletic club that included world-renowned swimmers. Coached by Jack Scarry, Olympic medal winners were Susan Laird & Jo McKim, 1928, & Lenore Kight Wingard, 1932 & 1936. Anna Mae Gorman competed in 1932.

Homestead Library, 536 10th Avenue, Munhall, PA, United States

Charles Taze Russell (1852-1916). Pastor Russell formed a Bible study group in Allegheny City in the 1870's; developed it into the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society. It became the legal corporation for Jehovah's Witnesses. He lived in the Bible House nearby, 1894-1909; spoke here at Carnegie Hall.

Allegheny Center, E Commons, at New Hazlett Theater (formerly Carnegie Hall), Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Subjects
Clinton Furnace. Pittsburgh's first successful blast furnace for making pig iron. Operations began near here, 1859, using Connellsville coke as fuel. The furnace's technology initiated a new era, leading to more advanced furnaces capable of producing huge amounts of iron and resulting in the modern blast furnace. Clinton Furnace played an important role in establishing Pittsburgh's dominance in iron and steel making. Operations ended in 1927.

Bessemer Ct. at Station Sq., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Subjects
Crawford Grill. A center of Black social life where musicians such as Art Blakey, Mary Lou Williams, John Coltrane drew a racially mixed, international clientele. Here, Crawford Grill #2, the second of three clubs opened 1943; was owned by William (Gus) Greenlee, later by Joseph Robinson.

Wylie Ave. at Elmore St., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Subjects
David L. Lawrence. Pennsylvania's Governor, 1959-1963, was born in this area June 18, 1889. As a pioneer in urban renewal, he advocated the creation of Point Park as part of the redevelopment of the Golden Triangle.

Point State Park, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Davis Island Lock & Dam. Below this bridge was the first lock and dam built (1878-1885) on the Ohio River. This was the world's largest movable dam yet constructed, and included the world's first rolling lock gate and widest lock chamber. Built and operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; replaced by the nearby Emsworth Locks and Dams in 1922.

1050 Ohio River Blvd. (PA 65) at E borough line, at Eat 'n' Park, Avalon, PA, United States

Dravo Corporation Shipyard. During World War II, Dravo's shipyard here was a leader in the manufacture of Landing Ship Tanks--LSTs--for the U.S. Navy. Dravo's over 16,000 workers produced a total of 145 LSTs. This and four other inland yards, all using techniques pioneered by Dravo, contributed two-thirds of the Navy's fleet of over 1,000 LSTs. These amphibious craft proved vital to the success of Allied landings on enemy shores, 1943-45.

Neville Island Blvd. & Grand Ave., at Twp. Park, beside fire station, Neville Township, PA, United States

Duquesne Steel Works. Plant here began in 1886. Acquired by Andrew Carnegie, 1890; by U.S. Steel, 1901. Workers here implemented advances in rolling mill & blast furnace processes before 1914; in pollution control, 1953. At peak of operations they manned six blast furnaces. Plant was in service until 1984.

E Grant Ave. & Linden St. (PA 837), Duquesne, PA, United States

Subjects
Duquesne University. Founded by Holy Ghost Fathers from Germany in 1878. Incorporated 1882 as Pittsburgh Catholic College. Named Duquesne University in 1911, this Catholic institution has served students of many faiths in liberal arts and professional studies.

Bluff St. at Univ. Administration Bldg., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Elizabeth. Here were the boatyards of John and Samuel Walker, a major center for building boats for western waters. A ship launched in 1793 at these yards reached Philadelphia via New Orleans.

Between exit ramp of PA 51 and Elizabeth Bridge, Elizabeth, PA, United States

Ethelbert Nevin. Composer of "Narcissus," "The Rosary, " and other well-known musical works, was born Nov.25, 1862, at Vineacre, a property adjoining the far end of this street. Died Feb. 17, 1901, at New Haven, Conn.

PA 65 at Edgeworth Ln., east side, Edgeworth, PA, United States

Subjects
First Aluminum Observatory Dome. On the hill just west of here, the first known astronomical observatory with an aluminum dome was erected in 1930. Designed & built by Pittsburgh amateur astronomers led by Leo J. Scanlon, the Valley View Observatory stood beside his Van Buren St. home. In the ensuing years, many of the world's observatories were built with such domes. Scanlon's shiny metal dome became a model for the popular image of a modern observatory.

West View Ave. near McKnight Rd. (Truck U.S. 19), Ross Township, PA, United States

Forbes Road - Bouquet's Breastworks. The last base of General Forbes' army. After crossing nearly "two hundred miles of wild and unknown country," the army entered Fort Duquesne on Nov. 25, 1758.

SR 2066 (Old Frankstown Rd.), at Boyce Park Admin. Bldg., Monroeville, PA, United States

Forbes Road, 1758, Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne - Fort Duquesne End (PLAQUE). Of Forbes Road. Occupied by General Forbes November 25, 1758, and by Him Named Pittsburg. His Victory Determined the Destiny of the Great West and Established Anglo-Saxon Supremacy in the United States. "His Name for Ages to Come Will...

Point State Park, between Fort Pitt Museum & Blockhouse, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Forbes Road, 1758, Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne - The Bouquet Encampment (PLAQUE). Was located three miles East of this place, which marks the farthest Northern point of the Forbes Road which leads Westward to Fort Duquesne, 97 miles from Bedford.

PA 380 (Saltsburg & Frankstown Rds.), Petermans Corner, Penn Hills Township, PA, United States

Fort Duquesne. Begun here April, 1754, by French after taking Virginia's fort. Key French position on the Ohio and base for raids on frontier after 1755. Burned by French before Forbes' army occupied it, November, 1758.

Point State Park, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Fort Lafayette. Stood on this site. It was completed in 1792. Built to protect Pittsburgh against Indian attacks and to serve as a chief supply base for Gen. Wayne's army, 1792-94. Reactivated during the War of 1812. Site sold in 1813.

9th St. just N of Penn Ave., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Fort Pitt. Built by the English, 1759-61, to replace Mercer's Fort of 1758-59. Named for Prime Minister William Pitt of Great Britain. British stronghold in Ohio Valley and center for settlement.

Point State Park, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Fort Pitt Blockhouse. One of Fort Pitt's outworks, this blockhouse or redoubt stood near the western bastions and is the only surviving structure of that fort. Built in 1764 by Col. Henry Bouquet.

Point State Park, next to the Blockhouse, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Fort Prince George. Name intended for fort begun here by Virginia force early in 1754 on site noted by Washington as "well situated for a Fort." Captured by the French, April 17, 1754, before its completion.

Point State Park, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Founding Convention of the AFL. On Nov. 15, 1881, in nearby Turner Hall, a convention was held to form the organization which became the American Federation of Labor. Soon it was the nation's largest labor federation. It became part of the merged AFL-CIO in 1955.

NW corner of Mellon Park, between 5th & 6th, opposite Wm Penn Hotel, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Founding Convention of the CIO. Near here on Nov. 14, 1938, the first convention of the Congress of Industrial Organizations was held. 34 international unions were represented. Pittsburgh's Philip Murray was president from 1940 to 1952.

North Commons Drive, at MLK Elementary, near Allegheny Center, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Founding of Ironworkers Union. On Feb.4, 1896, sixteen delegates met at Moorheads Hall here to form the International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental, & Reinforcing Iron Workers. Active in the struggle for health & safety standards; by 1996 it had 140,000 members.

Grant St., betw. Blvd. of the Allies and 1st Ave., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Frances Perkins. U.S. Secretary of Labor, 1933-45. Visited Homestead July 1933 to discuss New Deal policy. Local authorities barred her from meeting with aggrieved steelworkers in nearby Frick Park. Undeterred, she moved the assembly to federal property here, at the former U.S. post office.

SW corner of 9th Ave. & Amity St., at police station, Homestead, PA, United States

Frank Conrad. At his garage workshop here in 1919-1920, Conrad made broadcasts over his amateur station, 8XK, which introduced the concept of commercial radio and led to the start of KDKA. For 37 years a Westinghouse engineer, he held over 200 patents.

Pa. 8 (Penn Ave.) & Peebles St., Wilkinsburg, PA, United States

Frank Vittor (1888-1968). Pittsburgh sculptor whose subjects included American presidents and public figures such as Abraham Lincoln, Honus Wagner, and Mark Twain. He devoted his life to sculpting and teaching, and founded the city's Society of Sculptors. An Italian immigrant, Vittor sculpted Christopher Columbus here, one of his best-known works. He created it with the support of the Sons of Columbus of America and in honor of his Italian heritage.

At Columbus statue in Schenley Park, One Schenley Dr., Oakland, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Gen. Matthew B. Ridgway (1895-1993). U.S. Army officer; he rose to the rank of general, 1951. In World War II, commanded 82nd Airborne Division (famed for its invasion of Sicily), 1942-44; and 18th Airborne Corps, 1944-45. Supreme commander, United Nations forces in Korea, 1951-52, and Allied Powers in Europe, 1952-53. Chief of Staff, U.S. Army, 1953-55; opposed massive retaliation. Chairman, Mellon Institute, 1955-60. In 1989, Ridgeway International Peace Shrine was dedicated here.

611 Field Club Rd., at high school, Fox Chapel, PA, United States

George Westinghouse. Inventor of air brake and some 400 other devices. Developed AC transmission of electric current. Spent creative years in Pittsburgh and founded the industry which bears his name.

US 30 at W end of George Westinghouse Bridge over Turtle Creek, Turtle Creek, PA, United States

Great Steel Strike of 1919, The. In the largest work stoppage to that date, over 350,000 U.S. workers went off the job. Rev. Adalbert Kazincy, pastor of St. Michael's here, championed the strikers and provided the church as a meeting place. The strike failed after 15 weeks.

Braddock Ave. at 14th St., across from Edgar Thompson Works, Braddock, PA, United States

Greenlee Field. Located here from 1932 to 1938, this was the first African American owned stadium in the Negro Leagues. Home of Gus Greenlee's Pittsburgh Crawfords baseball team, 1935 Negro League champs. Players included Hall of Famers Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, and Cool Papa Bell.

Bedford Ave. & Junilla St., Hill Dist., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Hand's Hospital. On this site was located the isolation hospital erected in 1777 by Gen. Edward Hand to care for troops at Fort Pitt. Blockhouses protected the original two-story log structure.

PA 60 (Steuben St.) at Linden St., across from Crafton Park, Crafton, PA, United States

Heidelberg Raceway and Sports Arena. Opened in 1948, this former Pittsburgh Racing Assoc. racetrack was the site of the 1956 final performance of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus under the Big Top. Rising railroad costs, changing technology, labor troubles, space issues, and competition from TV led to this end of an era in entertainment history. The site of early NASCAR races, it boasted several records and brought acclaim to local and national racers before closing in 1973.

2055 Washington Pike, Heidelberg, PA, United States

Helen Richey (1909-1947). In 1934 this McKeesport native became the 1st woman to pilot a commercial airliner. Discriminated against because she was a woman, she resigned within a year and went on to become the 1st woman licensed instructor by the Civil Aeronautics Authority; & in WWII, the commandant of the American wing, British Air Transport Auxiliary; member of the Women's Airforce Service Pilots; & Major by the war's end.

Renzie Park, Eden Park Blvd. & Tulip Dr., McKeesport, PA, United States

Henry Clay Frick (1848-1919). Pittsburgh industrialist and philanthropist, Frick was instrumental in the organization of the coke and steel industries. His controversial management style while chairman of Carnegie Steel led to the bloody Homestead Strike, 1892.

Grant St. near 5th Ave., in median at Frick Bldg., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Henry J. Heinz (1844-1919). From a start in 1869 selling bottled horseradish, Heinz built an international firm by 1886. He pioneered innovative advertising, quality control, and benevolent employee policies and transformed modern diets.

16th St. Bridge, North Side, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Homestead Grays. Legendary baseball team that dominated the Negro Baseball Leagues during the first half of the 20th century. Founded by steelworkers in 1900, the Grays inspired African Americans locally and across the nation. Led by Cumberland Posey Jr., they won 12 national titles, including 9 in a row, 1937-45. Players included Hall of Famers Josh Gibson, Buck Leonard, and Smokey Joe Williams. Disbanded in 1950.

Amity St. at The Waterfront, at Filene's Basement lot and RR tracks, Homestead, PA, United States

Homestead Strike. On the morning of July 6, 1892, on orders of the Carnegie Steel Co., 300 Pinkerton agents attempted to land near here; strikers, citizens repulsed them. Seven workers, three Pinkertons were killed. 8,000 state militia arrived July 12; by November the strike was broken.

880 E Waterfront Dr., Munhall, PA, United States

Homestead Strike Victims. In these two adjoining cemeteries are buried six of the seven Carnegie Steel Company workers killed during the "Battle of Homestead" on July 6, 1892. The graves of Peter Ferris, Henry Striegel, and Thomas Weldon are here in St. Mary's Cemetery. The remains of John Morris, Joseph Sotak, and Silas Wain lie in Homestead Cemetery. The seventh victim, George Rutter, is buried in Verona.

102 E 22nd St., near Main St., Munhall, PA, United States

Honus Wagner (1874-1955). The "Flying Dutchman" was hailed as baseball's greatest shortstop and one of its finest all-around players. A lifelong Carnegie resident, born to German immigrants. Played for Louisville Colonels, 1897-99, & Pittsburgh Pirates, 1900-17; a Pirates coach, 1933-51. He set many National League records, including one for eight seasonal batting titles. Known for his modesty & sportsmanship, Charter member, Baseball Hall of Fame, 1936.

Mansfield Blvd. & Chartiers St., Carnegie, PA, United States

John A. Roebling (1806-1869). Here in 1846, Roebling built the first wire rope suspension bridge to carry a highway over the Monongahela River. He also designed a bridge across the Allegheny River, a railroad bridge at Niagara Falls, & the Brooklyn Bridge.

Smithfield St. Bridge at West Carson St., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

John M. Phillips (1861-1953). Creator of the state game land system. Known as the Pennsylvania System, it was a model throughout the nation. Phillips helped establish the Pa. Game Commission. A conservationist, industrialist, and engineer, he was among the first to introduce Boy Scouting in Pa. His home was here.

St. Pius X Byzantine Catholic Church, 2336 Brownsville Rd., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

John Scull (1765-1828). Pioneering editor and publisher who issued first edition of Pittsburgh Gazette, 1786. First newspaper west of Alleghenies, it became the Post-Gazette, 1927. A Berks County native, he was active in Western PA's civic affairs; home and print shop were here.

Blvd. of the Allies, just W of Market St., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

John T. Comès (1873-1922). A nationally influential church architect and a prolific writer and lecturer, Comès was recognized for his philosophy regarding design and decoration of Catholic churches. A Pittsburgh resident, his commissions, including St. Agnes here, are located in Pa. and other states.

St. Agnes Ctr. at Carlow Univ., 3219 5th Ave., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Johnny Unitas (1933-2002). Pittsburgh native & Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee, 1979. Here Unitas quarterbacked semi-pro Bloomfield Rams to a Steel Bowl Football Conference championship, 1955. Signed with Baltimore Colts, 1956, leading them to an NFL championship, 1958.

Arsenal Middle School Field, 40th and Butler Sts., Lawrenceville section, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Joshua Meeks (1731-1818). A militia captain during the American Revolution and civic leader in the early republic, Meeks was a petitioner to create Allegheny County in 1787. While making his living as a farmer, he took up arms to defend western Pa. during conflict and war. Meeks championed democratic ideals, promoting citizenship and patriotism by opening his home as a fort, a polling place, and a school. The Meeks house, which stood nearby, was razed in 2000.

along Beaver Grade Rd. at entrance to Forest Glen Condos, Moon Township, PA, United States

K. Leroy Irvis (1916-2006). Member of Pa. House of Reps., serving 15 consecutive terms. In 1977 he became the first African American Speaker of a state legislature since the era of Reconstruction, and was the state's longest serving Speaker. He was influential in enacting 264 bills including establishment of the Pa. Human Relations Commission and laws enhancing equal access to education. Active in state and national Democratic Party politics, his office was here.

2170 Centre Ave., Hill Dist., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Kennywood Park. A National Historic Landmark, designated 1987. In 1898 a picnic grove on Anthony Kenny's farm here was leased to the Monongahela Street Railway Co. for an amusement park linked to Pittsburgh by its trolley line. Sold to private interests in 1906, the park was to survive a Depression, recessions, and two World Wars. Years after most other "trolley parks" had closed, Kennywood was still thriving.

4800 Kennywood Boulevard behind park office, West Mifflin, PA, United States

Kier Refinery. Using a five-barrel still, Samuel M. Kier erected on this site about 1854 the first commercial refinery to produce illuminating oil from petroleum. He used crude oil from salt wells at Tarentum.

small park near Chatham/Bigelow Sq., betw. Bigelow Blvd. & 7th Ave., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Lewis and Clark Expedition. On Aug. 31, 1803, Capt. Meriwether Lewis launched a 50-foot 'keeled boat' from Ft. Fayette, 100 yards downriver. This marked the beginning of the 3-year expedition commissioned by President Jefferson, which opened America to westward expansion.

1 block N of 10th St. Bypass & Waterfront Dr. intersection, Pittsburgh, PA, United States