http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/phmc_home/1426

Martin R. Delany (1812-1885). A promoter of African-American nationalism, Delany published a Black newspaper, The Mystery, at an office near here. He attended Harvard Medical School, practiced medicine in Pittsburgh, and was commissioned as a major in the Civil War.

5 PPG Place, 3rd Ave. & Market St., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Subjects
Mary Harris 'Mother' Jones. Labor leader, workers' advocate. Arrested and jailed in Homestead for speaking to striking steelworkers, 1919. When a judge asked who gave her a permit to speak publicly, she replied, "Patrick Henry. Thomas Jefferson. John Adams!"

NE corner of 9th and Amity Sts., (at former municipal bldg.), Homestead, PA, United States

Subjects
McKees Rocks Mound. Largest Native American burial mound in Western PA., (16 ft. high & 85 ft wide). It was hand-built by the Adena people between 200BC and 100 AD and later used by the Hopewell and Monongahela people. Late 19th C. excavations uncovered 33 skeletons and artifacts made of copper & shells.

Rangers Field, Shingiss & Sproul Streets. The Bottoms, McKees Rocks, PA, United States

Mercy Hospital. Founded in 1847 by the Sisters of Mercy as Pittsburgh's first hospital. Medical internships began in 1848, and the nursing school in 1893. This was the first Mercy hospital worldwide, caring for all patients, especially the community's poor.

1400 Locust St., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Michael A. Musmanno (1897-1968). The noted jurist lived here. Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice, 1952-68. A presiding judge, War Crimes Tribunal, Nuremberg, 1947-48. State legislator, 1929-31. Veteran of two World Wars. Author, 16 books. Buried, Arlington National Cemetery.

1321 Island Ave. (Pa. 51), Stowe Township, PA, United States

Monogahela River Navigation system. One of the nation's earliest and most successful river navigation systems, its series of locks and dams, begun in 1838, has provided year-round navigation between Pittsburgh and Fairmont, WV. Millions of tons of coal shipped through the locks supplied Pennsylvania's important coke, iron, and steel industries. Acquired by the federal government in 1897, the system has been expanded and modernized by the Army Corps of Engineers.

at Elizabeth Lock & Dam, Bunola River Rd., Elizabeth, PA, United States

Mooncrest. Designed and built in 1943 by the federal government as defense worker housing. Mooncrest residents produced armor plate, munitions, and ships at the nearby Dravo Corp. during World War II. Operated by U.S. Air Force after 1945; homes sold to private investors in mid-1950s.

Mooncrest Dr. at Old Thorn Run Rd., Moon Township, PA, United States

National Tube Works. Incorporated 1869, the works began production here, 1872. By 1901, when it became a subsidiary of U.S. Steel, this was the world's largest pipe producer. Major advances in inspection techniques originated here. Plant operations ceased in 1987.

575 Lysle Blvd. (PA 148), at subway entrance to plant, McKeesport, PA, United States

Old St. Luke's Church. Oldest Episcopal Church in southwestern Pennsylvania, founded after the French & Indian War by veteran Maj. William Lea on his land grant. Francis Reno was the first vicar. Church members included Gen. John Neville, the unpopular tax collector in 1794 Whiskey Rebellion that disrupted the area and unsettled the congregation. Renewed interest in1852 led to this stone church, with its 1823 English Pipe organ, the first brought over the Alleghenies.

330 Old Washington Pike, Scott Township, PA, United States

Pennsylvania Canal. The loading basin and western terminus of the State-built railroad, canal, and Portage over the Alleghenies uniting eastern and western Pennsylvania was here. Built in 1826-34. In 1857 sold to the Pennsylvania R.R.

Liberty Ave. /Grant St. at 10th St. (at the Pennsylvanian), Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Pioneer Short-Wave Station. On this site in 1923, Westinghouse opened a special radio facility to experiment with long-distance transmissions. Led by Frank Conrad, engineers here demonstrated the vital role of high-frequency short waves in sending broadcasts around the world.

Barclay Ave., off Greensburg Pike, Forest Hills, PA, United States

Pittsburgh. Gateway to the West and steel center of the world. Named for William Pitt by Gen. Forbes after the fall of French Fort Duquesne in 1758. Laid out as a town by John Campbell in 1764. Incorporated as a city, 1816.

4675 Steubenville Pike (PA 60) at W Steuben St., at bridge and Sharp Edge Creekhouse restaurant, Thornburg, PA, United States

Pittsburgh Agreement (The). Signed here, on May 31, 1918, this document declared the intent of Czechs and Slovaks to form a new democratic nation in Europe, free from outside rule. Later that year, Thomas Garrigue Masaryk, an author of the agreement, became the 1st president of Czechoslovakia.

Penn Avenue & 7th Street, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Pittsburgh Glass Works. First glass factory in Pittsburgh was established on this site by James O'Hara and Isaac Craig in 1797. It manufactured bottles and window glass until the 1880s. A precursor of Pittsburgh's rise as the nation's largest glass producer.

Foot of Duquesne Incline, West Carson St., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company. First commercially successful U.S. plate glass maker, founded 1883 by John Ford, John Pitcairn and others. First plant was at Creighton; office was half a block east of here on Fourth Avenue. The company became PPG Industries in 1968.

Plaza of PPG Place, between 4th Ave. & Market Sq., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Pittsburgh Platform. This defining document of American Reform Judaism was signed by eighteen rabbis at the Concordia Club near here, November, 1885. The 8-point statement encouraged ecumenical dialogue, emphasized the progressive nature of Reform Judaism, and identified Judaism as a religion.

Stockton Ave. at Concordia Club, East Park (north side), Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Polish Army. At hall on this site on April 3, 1917, a speech by I. J. Paderewski to delegates at convention of the Polish Falcons began the movement to recruit a Polish army in U.S. to fight in Europe with Allies for creating an independent Poland.

97 S. 18th St., South Side Flats, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Presston. Pressed Steel Car Company provided worker housing at substantial cost to employees, keeping them in constant debt. During the 1909 McKees Rocks strike against the company, immigrant workers were evicted from their homes. The evictions led to the August 22 Bloody Sunday Uprising¬Ě where at least 11 people died. The houses were sold after the company ceased operations in 1949. Constructed in 1899 as Schoenville, the neighborhood's appearance remains similar to 1909.

Ohio St. & Nichol Ave., Presston, Stowe Township, PA, United States

Queen Aliquippa. An influential leader of the Seneca Nation in this area and ally of the British during the time of the French & Indian War. Encamped near here when George Washington paid respects to her, 1753. Died, 1754; according to legend, buried nearby.

2928 Highland Ave., Highland Grove Park, near 2918 Bowman Ave., McKeesport, PA, United States

Subjects
Rachel Carson. Scientist, naturalist and writer. Born 1907 at 613 Marion Avenue; died 1964. Her 1951 book "The Sea Around Us" was followed in 1962 by "Silent Spring." This book focused the nation's attention on the dangers of pesticides and helped launch the environmental movement.

Pittsburgh St. (SR 1001, old PA 28) at Colfax St., Springdale, PA, United States

Radio Station KDKA. World's first commercial station began operating November 2, 1920, when KDKA reported Harding-Cox election returns from a makeshift studio at the East Pittsburgh Works of Westinghouse. Music, sports, talks, and special events were soon being regularly aired.

KDKA Headquarters, 1 Gateway Center, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Railroad Strike of 1877. In July, unrest hit U.S. rail lines. Pennsylvania Railroad workers struck to resist wage and job cuts. Here, on July 21, militia fatally shot some 26 people. A battle followed; rail property was burned. The strike was finally broken by U.S. troops.

Liberty Ave. at 28th St. (on traffic island), Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Shadyside Iron Furnace. Built on lowlands here in 1792. Birth of the iron industry in the Pittsburgh region. It made stove and grate castings. Closed about a year later due to lack of ore and wood.

SE corner of Bayard St. & Amberson Ave., at Winchester-Thurston H.S. field, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Steamboat "New Orleans". The first steamboat built west of the Alleghenies, the "New Orleans" was launched Oct. 15, 1811, near this site at Suke's Run. Pittsburgh became a center for steamboat construction & a gateway for 19th-century westward expansion.

First Ave. at Try St., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Union Local 471, American Federation of Musicians. Organized in 1908, this local was one of the first African American musicians unions in Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh was at the forefront of the jazz world in the mid-20th century, and jazz greats Mary Lou Williams, Art Blakey, Ray Brown, and George Benson, among others, were members. A controversial merger with the white union local in the 1960s ended one of the oldest black union organizations in the US. Headquarters was nearby, 1940-1954.

Crawford St., between Wiley & Webster Aves., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

United Steelworkers of America. In the Grant Building here on June 17, 1936, the Steel Workers Organizing Committee was founded. Renamed in 1942, the USWA became one of the world's largest unions, embracing over a million workers. Philip Murray was its first president.

Grant St. between 3rd & 4th Aves., Pittsburgh, PA, United States

V.F.W.. The Veterans of Foreign Wars organized September 14-17, 1914, at the former Schenley Hotel near here. Veterans who had served in Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Philippines and China were among its founders.

5th Ave. & Bigelow Blvd., at Wm. Pitt Union by bus stop, Oakland, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Westinghouse Atom Smasher. The world's 1st industrial Van de Graaff generator was created by Westinghouse Research Labs in 1937 as an early experiment with atomic energy. The 5-story pear-shaped structure is located here. The company remained active in establishing US leadership in nuclear power.

F Avenue & West, Forest Hills Boro., PA, United States

Subjects
Westinghouse Electric Corporation. Pioneer in development of alternating current, permitting transmission of electricity over long distances. Founded 1886 by George Westinghouse, it first made AC motors, generators, transformers in a plant at Garrison Place and Penn Avenue.

Westinghouse Plaza, 6 Gateway Center, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

William D. Boyce (1858-1929). Inspired by the good turn of an English Scout, he brought the Scouting movement to the United States. His efforts led to the incorporation of Boy Scouts of America in Washington, D.C., on February 8, 1910, and to its chartering by Congress on June 15, 1916. Boyce was born in Allegheny County about twelve miles northeast of here. The campus was named in his honor.

595 Beatty Rd., Boyce Campus of County community college, Monroeville, PA, United States

William T. Kerr (1868-1953). Known as "The Father of Flag Day," he founded the American Flag Day Association and served as its president for Fifty years. President Truman signed the Act of Congress that officially designated June 14 as Flag Day, with Kerr at his side, on August 3, 1949. Kerr lived here in Rennersdale, 1911-1928.

4 Columbia Ave. at Noblestown Rd. (SR 3048), at bus stop, Rennersdale, PA, United States

Work Accidents and the Law (1910). The pioneering study of industrial conditions in Allegheny County by Crystal Eastman documented 526 workplace deaths in one year. A component of the land-mark Pittsburgh Survey, it led to industrial accident prevention programs and workers' compensation laws.

Market Square near PPG Place, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

Armstrong County. Formed March 12, 1800 out of Westmoreland, Allegheny, and Lycoming counties. Named for Gen. John Armstrong, who had destroyed the Indian Village at Kittanning, 1756. Here, county seat was laid out, 1803, and "Daugherty Visible" typewriter invented in 1881.

Courthouse, N. end Market St., Kittanning, PA, United States

Brady's Bend Works. Located near this point, 1839-73. Organized as the Great Western and later known as the Brady's Bend Iron Company. One of that era's largest iron works, and first to make iron rails west of the Alleghenies.

Bridge Street, East Brady, Brady's Bend, PA, United States

General John Armstrong - PLAQUE. In memory of General John Armstrong, a Scottish Covenanter and a soldier of the American Revolution. Lieutenant Colonel, 2d. Battalion Provincial troops 1756. Brigadier General Continental Army 1776. Major General Pennsylvania Militia 1778 to close of war. In command of Pennsylvania Militia at Brandywine and Germantown. Died 1795.

mounted on Armstrong Co. Courthouse at entrance, N end of Market St., Kittanning, PA, United States

Kittanning. The most notable Delaware Indian village west of the Alleghenies, was situated here from about 1730 until destroyed by Armstrong's expedition in 1756. Its name means "great river", applying to the Ohio-Allegheny.

Butler Rd. (Bus. Rt. 422) & Allegheny Ave., at bridge, Applewold, PA, United States

Kittanning. The most notable Delaware Indian village west of the Alleghenies, was situated here from about 1730 until destroyed by Armstrong's expedition in 1756. Its name means "great river", applying to the Ohio-Allegheny.

At Highway garage on US 422 (S Water Street), Kittanning, PA, United States

Kittanning or Attique Indian Town - PLAQUE. Kittanning or Attique Indian Town was located on this river flat. The chief settlement as early as 1727, of the Lenni-Lenape or Delaware Indians in their early westward movement from the Susquehanna River, became the most important Indian center west of ...

At park on E bank of Allegheny River, adjacent to bridge, N. Water & Market Sts., Kittanning, PA, United States

Nellie Bly. A crusading journalist on Pittsburgh and New York newspapers, she won fame for her daring exploits and her investigations of social ills. In 1889-90, Bly circled the globe in 72 days. She was born Elizabeth Cochran and lived here as a child.

500 Terrace Avenue, Apollo, PA, United States

Pittsburgh Plate Glass Ford City Works. Among the largest and most productive plate glass factories in the world; opened 1887. At its peak, the plant employed more than 3,500 ethnically diverse workers, who passed through a specially-built tunnel under busy train tracks. Operations ended 1991.

Third Ave. at Ninth St., Ford City, PA, United States

Beaver County. Formed March 12, 1800 from Washington and Allegheny counties. The county seat, Beaver, was laid out 1792-93. County's waterways have spurred its industrial growth. At Shippingport was the world's first full-scale atomic power station devoted to civilian needs. (missing)

County Courthouse, at park on 3rd St., Beaver, PA, United States

Fort McIntosh. The first U.S. military post north of the Ohio. Located on River Road and occupying the area between Bank, Insurance, and Market Streets. Built in 1778 and scene of Treaty of Fort McIntosh in 1785; also a survey base. Abandoned 1790-91.

Pa. 68 (3rd St.) at Insurance St., Beaver, PA, United States

General Anthony Wayne Camp. On the plateau, southwest of this spot, was situated the camp of the army of General Anthony Wayne. This army, known as the Legion of the United States, encamped at this place when on the expedition against the indians west of the Ohio, from November, 1792, until April, 1793. The expedition resulted in the Treaty of Greenvile, which was signed in the summer of 1795.

Duss Ave. (old PA 65) near Anthony Wayne Dr., Ambridge, PA, United States

Harmony Society Cemetery. On this site are buried 594 members and workers of the Harmony Society, the people of Old Economy.

Church St., center of cemetery, Ambridge, PA, United States

Harmony Society Church. Constructed, 1828-1831, with bricks made by the Society members, this is the second building erected for worship. It is believed designed by Frederick Rapp. The spiritual life of the Society centered here.

Church St. near Creese St., Ambridge, PA, United States

Ingram-Richardson Manufacturing Co.. During 64 years, "Ing-Rich" became one of the leading producers of porcelain enamel products in the U.S. Noted for durability, the company's output included outdoor advertising signs and "porcel panels" for building exteriors; it also made table tops, refrigerators & stove parts, and other products for the home. Founded here in 1901 by Louis Ingram & Ernest Richardson, it built plants in three other states. At its peak it employed over 1000 people.

Ing-Rich Road 24th Street Extension and 31st Street Extension, Beaver Falls, PA, United States

King Beaver's Town. Present Beaver perpetuates the name of a Delaware chief and of his village near here. Its location along the Ohio-Beaver River trails gave it importance in the fur trade.

Pa. 68 (3rd St.) at Wilson Ave., Beaver, PA, United States

Legionville. Gen. Anthony Wayne's army camped here Nov. 1792 to April 1793, preparing for the campaign which led to the Battle of Fallen Timbers with the Northwest Indians. (missing)

Duss Ave. at Anthony Wayne Dr., Ambridge, PA, United States

Logstown - PLAQUE. A short distance southeast of this spot, along the banks of the river, was situated the village of Logstown one of the largest Indian settlements on the upper Ohio. It was the scene of many important conferences between the French, the British and the Indians... (missing)

Duss Ave. (old PA 65) near Anthony Wayne Dr, Ambridge, PA, United States

Matthew S. Quay. Home of the noted state and national political leader is near here. He rose , between 1856-87, from local and state offices to U.S. Senator. A Republican Party leader from 1887 until his death in 1904.

Pa. 68 (3rd St.) at Insurance St., Beaver, PA, United States