http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/phmc_home/1426

Fries Rebellion of 1799, The. Site of early challenge to federal government's authority. This armed resistance by Pennsylvania-German farmers to the 1798 federal house tax was suppressed by soldiers. Leader John Fries was arrested for treason, condemned to death, and pardoned by President John Adams.

Main & Broad Sts., Quakertown, PA, United States

Gallows Hill - PLAQUE. Here Edward Marshall and his associates of the famous Indian Walk of a day and a half September 19-20, 1737 left the Old Durham Road on the first day and followed the well-beaten Indian path which led northwesterly through present Hellertown, Bethlehem...

Intersection PA 412 & SR 4075 (Gallows Hill Rd.), Stony Point, PA, United States

George Nakashima (1905-1990). Internationally acclaimed woodworker, architect, and leader of the American craft movement, his unique furniture style celebrated the inherent beauty of wood. Here, he created an environment integrating landscape, architecture, and interior design.

1847 Aquetong Rd., New Hope, PA, United States

Henry Chapman Mercer (1856-1930). Archaeologist, scholar, collector, tile maker. Mercer was born and worked in Doylestown. Between 1908 & 1916, he designed and built three unique concrete structures: Fonthill, his castle-like home; the Moravian Pottery & Tile Works, where he made his distinctive handcrafted products; and the Mercer Museum, site of his vast collection of early Americana. His patented tile mosaics decorate the Pennsylvania State Capitol.

Pa. 313 in front of Tile Works, Doylestown, PA, United States

Honey Hollow Watershed. A 700-acre watershed, managed for agriculture; first in the nation to show that cooperative action, with federal technical assistance, can shape land use. Conservation area here was formed in 1939 by six farms on Honey Hollow Creek, supported by the U.S. Soil Conservation Service, to protect soil, water, and wildlife. A prototype for thousands of watersheds across the nation; named a National Historic Landmark in 1969.

Rte. 232, Solebury Township, PA, United States

James A. Michener (1907-1997). The world famous author grew up in Doylestown and graduated in 1925 from the public school formerly here, having been a top- ranking student. His first novel, "Tales of the South Pacific", received the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for fiction. His many other books include "The Fires of Spring" (1965), & "Recessional" (1994). He traveled widely and was a noted art collector and philanthropist.

East Court St. near Broad St., Doylestown, PA, United States

John Fitch's Steamboat. Fitch tested near here a model steamboat in 1785. Before his death in 1798, he built 4 mechanically successful steamboats. The first in the U.S., they proved financial failures, leaving final success of the idea to Robert Fulton.

At Craven Hall on Newtown Rd. near Street Rd., Warminster, PA, United States

Johnsville Naval Air Development Center. This site was acquired by the U.S. Navy during World War II from the Brewster Aircraft Corporation; it served as a strategic locale for weapons development and testing of modern aircraft. Later, it was a training facility for America's Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo space programs.

E Street Rd., 200 yds. N of Newton Rd., Warminster, PA, United States

Joseph Ridgway Grundy (1863-1961). Widely regarded as a key figure in state and national Republican Party politics, he advocated pro-business, low tax, and high tariff policies. An influential industrialist, publisher, banker, lobbyist, and politician, he founded the Pa. Manufacturers Association, 1909, and was US Senator, 1929-1930. His legacy of philanthropy continues through The Grundy Foundation, Library, and Museum.

610-680 Radcliffe St., Bristol, PA, United States

Subjects
Katharine Drexel (1858-1955). Catholic religious founder and missionary. She used her family's fortune to fund mission schools and churches for Native and African Americans. She professed her vows in 1891, founded her own order, the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, and directed it for over 40 years. Drexel's ministries addressed social inequities and provided quality education to minorities at schools like Holy Providence School here. She was canonized in 2000.

1663 Bristol Pike, Bensalem, PA, United States

Langhorne Speedway. Opened in 1926, this circular one-mile dirt track was known as the "Big Left Turn." It hosted a NASCAR inaugural race in 1949. Notable drivers Doc Mackenzie, Joie Chitwood, Rex Mays, Lee Petty, Dutch Hoag, A.J. Foyt, and Mario Andretti raced here in stock, midget, sprint, and Indy cars. Langhorne was reshaped as a "D" and paved in 1965. The National Open Championship run here was regarded as the 'Indy of the East.' Final race was held in 1971.

1939 E Lincoln Hwy., Langhorne, PA, United States

Levittown. This fully planned, six-home style residential community was conceived by the builder, William J. Levitt. The first family moved in, June 23, 1952. When completed in 1957, Levittown contained 17,311 homes on 5,750 acres, designed for a population of 70,000. It expanded on the pattern set by Levittown, N.Y. (built 1947-51) and was a landmark in the development of suburban housing in the United States.

Levittown Pkwy. near Rt. 13, near front of St. Michael’s Church grade school, Levittown, PA, United States

Log College. Built by Rev. William Tennent c. 1735, it was the first academy in America for the training of Presbyterian ministers and the first college in Pa. A number of notable revivalist preachers and educators graduated from this rustic school before it closed upon Tennent's death in 1746. Soon after, several Log College graduates helped establish Princeton University in New Jersey. Many other colleges trace their roots to this early institution.

Between 800 and 886 N York Rd. (PA 263), near Tennyson Dr., across from Log College Manor, Warminster, PA, United States

Loyalist Raid of 1778. On Feb. 19, 1778, while the British occupied Philadelphia, some 40 armed Loyalists raided the tavern here. The fighting left 5 American soldiers dead, 4 wounded, 11 captured. Tailors here were making uniforms for use at Valley Forge, and 2000 yards of cloth were lost.

State & Mercer Streets, Newtown, PA, United States

Margaret Mead (1901-1978). The world-renowned anthropologist and writer lived in this house and graduated in 1918 from Doylestown High School. Among her most famous works are "Coming of Age in Samoa" (1928) and "Male and Female" (1949).

225 W. Court St., Doylestown, PA, United States

Martin Johnson Heade (1819-1904). Noted artist and cofounder of the "luminist" style of landscape painting. Also known for his hummingbird studies and floral still lifes. He first studied with Edward and Thomas Hicks in Newtown. Born & raised here; family owned the store across the street.

in front of Lumberville General store, Rte. 32, Lumberville, PA, United States

Moland House. Gen. Washington's headquarters Aug. 10-23, 1777, during the Neshaminy encampment of 11,000 troops. Here, the Marquis de Lafayette functioned for the first time as Major General at the Council of War on Aug. 21, and Count Casimir Pulaski of Poland met Washington for the first time. An experienced military commander, Pulaski was later appointed Brigadier General of mounted troops and is remembered as the "Father of the American Cavalry."

1641 Old York Rd., Hartsville, PA, United States

Mollie Woods Hare (1881-1956). She played a significant role in the development and advancement of theory and practice of educating children with intellectual disabilities. Founded by Hare in 1913, the Woods Schools evolved into a nationally recognized center emphasizing the integration of research, education, and rehabilitation for people with special needs throughout Pa. and the US. Her pioneering programs received widespread recognition for excellence.

At entrance to Woods Services, between 321 and 335 S Bellevue Ave., Langhorne, PA, United States

Oscar Hammerstein II (1895-1960). Lyricist and librettist whose collaboration with composer Richard Rodgers transformed the Broadway musical. Their works include South Pacific (1949), The King & I (1951), and The Sound of Music (1959). The bucolic landscape of Hammerstein's nearby farm inspired him to write "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" for the musical Oklahoma! in 1943.

E State St. (Bus. 202) at East Rd., Doylestown, PA, United States

Pearl S. Buck. Author of over 300 books and other published works, she strove for better understanding between peoples. Her novel "The Good Earth" was awarded a Pulitzer Prize in 1932. Her "epic portrayals of Chinese farm life" helped win her the Nobel Prize in literature in 1938. Following her many years in China, she lived after 1934 here at Green Hills Farm. It later became home to The Pearl S. Buck Foundation.

Green Hills Farm, 520 Dublin Road, Perkasie, PA, United States

Subjects
Pennsbury. William Penn's country home in Pennsylvania, built 1683-1700.

At site, Tullytown, PA, United States

Subjects
Pennsylvania. Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE and THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

PA 413, .4 miles west of bridge at state line, Bristol, PA, United States

Pennsylvania. Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE and THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

Bridge St. (Old US 1 / Rt. 32), at Central Ave., 1 block from Delaware River, Morrisville, PA, United States

Pennsylvania Canal. A system of State-built public works to connect Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Lake Erie. The Delaware Division, Bristol-Easton, begun 1827; operated by the State 1831-58, and by private owners to 1931. A State Park since 1940.

River Rd. (PA 32) at Old Carversville Rd., Lumberville, PA, United States

Revolutionary War Burial Site. Buried here are soldiers who died from wounds suffered in the two Battles of Trenton, Dec. 1776-Jan. 1777, and from disease incurred during the harsh winter. After the battles, Washington's troops occupied four hospital buildings in this village, known then as Four Lanes End. Archaeological excavations in 1992 confirmed the fact that a burial ground existed here; written accounts indicated that around 166 soldiers were interred.

Intersection of Bellevue & Flowers Ave., Langhorne, PA, United States

Richboro Nike Missile Battery PH-07. One of thirteen installations in the Philadelphia area that provided protection from Soviet aerial attack during the 1954-1970 period of the Cold War. The Nike system here used radar to guide Ajax anti-aircraft missiles. From the mid-1960s through the early 1970s, this missile system was replaced as technology and terms of arms control treaties evolved. The missile launch area and magazine are located near here.

In park at 345 Newtown Richboro Rd. (Rt. 332), Richboro, PA, United States

Rochambeau Route. On Sept. 2, 1781, French and American armies under Lt. Gen. Rochambeau and Gen. Washington encamped along the nearby Poquessing Creek on their way to Yorktown, the decisive battle of the American Revolution. The Red Lion Inn, formerly located here, was used by officers as headquarters. The combined force continued through Bensalem Township, along the King's Path, as they made their strategic movement south.

Bristol Pike (Rt. 13) & Mill Rd., Bensalem, PA, United States

Summerseat. Washington's headquarters Dec. 8-14, 1776. Built in 1773 by Thomas Barkley; restored in 1931. Owners included Robert Morris and George Clymer. Located at Legion and Clymer Aves.

At site, Legion Ave., near Hillcrest Ave., Morrisville, PA, United States

W. Atlee Burpee (1858-1915). Founder at age 18 of the seed company bearing his name. At. Fordhook Farm nearby, he developed Golden Bantam Corn, Bush Lima Beans, Iceberg Lettuce, & other plant varieties. He gave this park to the Borough in honor of his wife Blanche.

Burpee Park, Church St. near E Oakland Ave. (Rt. 202), Doylestown, PA, United States

W.W.H. Davis (1820-1910). Statesman, historian, author, lawyer, soldier, he wrote 10 books, rose to Civil War general, was acting governor of the Territory of New Mexico, and founded the Bucks Historical Society (1880). He lived here for 51 years.

60 E. Court Street, Doylestown, PA, United States

Walking Purchase. The walkers, Marshall and Yeates, with officials and spectators, reached George Wilson's meadow at noon, Sept. 19. After lunch, they went on via an Indian path and stopped for the night near present Northampton.

PA 412, Springtown, PA, United States

William Penn's First Walking Purchase. This site, Towissinck or Jerricho Creek, was the northern boundary of Penn's 1st purchase of Native American land on July 15, 1682. The land purchase was measured by the distance a man could walk in a day and a half, starting from the mouth of the Neshaminy Creek. It is believed Penn walked the distance himself, covering what is now Bristol, Falls, Middletown, Newtown, Lower and part of Upper Makefield Twps.

Jericho Creek @ intersection of River & Taylorsville Rds., Washington Crossing, PA, United States

Subjects
Butler County. Formed March 12, 1800, from Allegheny County. Named for Gen. Richard Butler, Revolutionary officer. A young George Washington had crossed this area, 1753. County seat was established at Butler in 1803, and the county was home of the Harmony Society, 1804-15.

County Courthouse, Main St. (Pa. 8), Butler, PA, United States

Subjects
General Richard Butler - PLAQUE. In memory of General Richard Butler. Born in Ireland. One of five brothers,soldiers distinguished for bravery and devoted service. Captain 2d Pennsylvania Battalion 1776, Colonel 9th Pennsylvania Regiment 1777, Major General United States Levies 1791.

County Courthouse, Butler, PA, United States

George Edward Waddell. One of the greatest pitchers in baseball history. With the Philadelphia Athletics "Rube" Waddell led the American League in strikeouts 6 straight years, topping 20 wins in each of his first 4 years. During his career he won 193 games. He was known for his colorful & eccentric personality and was one of baseball's first true matinee idols. Born in Bradford, PA, and raised here in Prospect, Waddell was named to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1946.

Rt. 488, next to Fire Hall, Prospect, PA, United States

Harmony. First home of Harmony Society, founded 1804, by George Rapp and German followers. In 1814 moved to New Harmony, Indiana, and settled at Economy in present Ambridge, Beaver County, in 1825.

Main Street at Mercer Street, Harmony, PA, United States

Invention of the Jeep. In September 1940 a team headed by Karl Probst delivered to the U.S. Army a prototype for the World War II jeep. This small, four-wheel drive vehicle was produced by the American Bantam Car Co., located one block east. Here, Bantam manufactured 2,675 jeeps. Although larger companies ultimately received the chief wartime orders, it was Bantam--in cooperation with the Army--that originally created the jeep.

Hansen Ave, Butler, PA, United States

Old Stone House. A haven for lumbermen, drovers and travelers, this important landmark and once famous hostelry was built in 1822 at the crossroads of the old Venango Trail and Butler to Mercer Pike by John K. Brown of Oliver. The Marquis de Lafayette may have stopped here on June 1, 1825. (missing)

At site, PA 8 at junction Pa. 173, Stone House, PA, United States

Old Stone House. Pioneer wayside inn. Built in 1822 and reconstructed in 1963.

At site, PA 8 at junction Pa. 173, Stone House, PA, United States

Rev. Richard C. Christy. Chaplain, 78th Regiment, Pa. Volunteers, 1861-64. He was credited as Pennsylvania's first Catholic Civil War chaplain and the only one serving a chiefly non-Catholic regiment. Despite the anti-Catholic prejudice of the era, he gained a reputation for bravery and was known as the 'Fighting Chaplain of the Army of the Cumberland.' Father Christy had been the first permanent pastor of this church. Hundreds of veterans attended his funeral in 1878.

At church, 455 Clearfield Road, Fenelton, PA, United States

Roeblings, The. John A. Roebling, inventor of steel wire rope and designer of the Brooklyn Bridge, began business at Saxonburg, founded by him in 1832. His son, Washington A. Roebling, who built the Brooklyn Bridge, was born here in 1837.

Butler Rd. (SR 2010) near High St., Saxonburg, PA, United States

Venango Path. A major Indian path between the Forks of the Ohio (now Pittsburgh) and the Seneca town of Venango (now Franklin) passed through here. On Dec. 27, 1753, George Washington came this way with frontier scout Christopher Gist as they returned from Fort LeBoeuf on a mission for Virginia''s Gov. Robert Dinwiddie. The Franklin Road, the first wagon road northward from Pittsburgh, was opened over this route in 1796.

Franklin Rd. at Mars Crider Rd. (Rt. 228), Cranberry Township, PA, United States

Subjects
Cambria City. Founded in 1853, this neighborhood was the first home to immigrants who came to Johnstown to find work in the coal mines and steel mills. Nationality churches and ethnic clubs exemplify the neighborhood's rich and diverse culture.

464 Broad St., at 5th Ave., Johnstown, PA, United States

Cambria County. Formed March 26, 1804 out of Huntingdon and Somerset counties. Its name, dating from Roman Britain, means "Wales." County seat, Ebensburg, was incorporated 1825. Famed Portage Railroad extended west to Johnstown. Birthplace of Rear Admiral Robert E. Peary.

County Courthouse, 225 S Center St., Ebensburg, PA, United States

Charles M. Schwab. The steel king, of whom Carnegie said he "knew more about steel than any man in the world," had his estate here. The grounds and buildings are owned by St. Francis College.

St. Mary St. at Manor Dr. (SR 1001) traffic circle, Loretto, PA, United States

Clara Barton (1821-1912). The founder of the American Red Cross, Barton used this site as her headquarters while directing relief operations after the Johnstown Flood of 1889. The disaster was one of the first major tests for the American Red Cross. (missing)

662 Main St., Johnstown, PA, United States

First Cambria AME Zion Church. Formed 1873 in the loft of the Woodvale Tannery by workers there. Organized as Cambria Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church, 1874, at Napoleon and Dibert Sts. About 1877 it moved here. Washed from its foundation in the 1889 flood but later restored.

409 Haynes St., at Menoher Blvd., Johnstown, PA, United States

First Steel Rails. The first steel rails rolled on order in the U.S. were manufactured by the Cambria Iron Works across the river in 1867. These works were an industry leader in rolling mill technology. The ingots were made in Steelton by the Pennsylvania Steel Company. (missing)

Opposite steel mill (old PA 56), Johnstown, PA, United States

John Brophy (1883-1963). The American labor leader lived here in Nanty Glo. Brophy was president of District 2, United Mine Workers of America, 1916-1926; he gained national prominence for his "Miner's Program," calling for a shorter work week, nationalization of the mines, and a labor party. An official of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO), 1935-1961, Brophy was a longtime advocate for a democratic labor movement.

Shoemaker St. (Rt. 271) at Lloyd St., across from Ameriserv Financial, Nanty Glo, PA, United States

Johnstown Flood. On May 31, 1889, a wall of water and wreckage 35 feet high traveled 14 miles from the broken South Fork Dam, destroying more than 1,600 homes and claiming 2,209 lives. Public and private efforts from across America helped Johnstown to rebuild.

Johnstown Festival Park - 28 Johns St., Johnstown, PA, United States