The Murrill. The house dates from the18th century. There had been a farm on this site for at least 500 years prior to the 1950s. Documents from the 16th century show it as the Manor of Morrels and part of the Southwick Priory Estate. Later it became known as Portchester Farm and was the home of the Curtis family from 1871 to 1951

48 East Street, Portchester, United Kingdom

Portchester House was leased for use a hospital by the Government in 1756. Miss Emily Farmer, a noted artist, lived and painted here until her death in 1905.

Hospital Lane, Portchester, United Kingdom

Rear-Admiral John Cooke 1750-1834 One of Lord St. Vincent's Captains lived here The Cooke family owned this house until 1929 Rear-Admiral Cooke built a signal turrent on the house to intercept the signalling between the castle and turrent house

Castle Street, Portchester, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Village Pillory stood near here in medieval times. A Monastic Map of 1405 shows the Pillory in the centre of the road.

Castle Street, Portchester, United Kingdom

Castle Street School built in 1873 cost £970 became Portchester Board School and in 1902 was renamed Portchester Council School. Richard Bennetts, at age 22 the first Headmaster remained in this post for over forty years.

Castle Street, Portchester, United Kingdom

The Gunpowder Store - This store dates from at least 1750 and was one of three built on this site, away from the castle walls. It is similar in design to some stores in HM Dockyards and was used by the military guard during the many wars in the 18th and 19th centuries when the castle was also a prison

Waterside Lane, Portchester, United Kingdom

Turret House stood on this site until 1956. It was built in 1769 for the officer commanding the guard at Portchester Castle. A turret was built on the house for signalling to the Castle.

West Street, Portchester, United Kingdom