The Academy of Fine Arts in Málaga was created as a result of the Royal Decree of 31 October 1849, as Minister of Public Works Don Manuel Seijas Lozano.
Two years later, the Academy organized the School of Fine Arts, which was under his inspection and surveillance studies classified as minor and second-class title.
Vista Academy Sought and obtained to settle the second floor of the missing Royal College of Nautical San Telmo, which was located in what was Jesuit college. The budget imported 32,909 actual installation.
The first session that remains is the act of June 8, 1850. On 21 November of that year was determined to be the number of its eighteen Academic, of them five for the painting section and intaglio two for sculpture and intaglio, two for nine architecture for those who deserve it for their artistic knowledge and love for the fine arts.
Thus it was with the RO compliance of June 20, 1850, that marked its composition and number of Scholars. Its first president was the Hon. Mr. Don José Alcalá Galiano and Freüller, Marquis of Paniega, who directed from its founding until his death.
The January 20, 1851 the School of Fine Arts was inaugurated, uttering a speech at the event the President of the Academy, Jose Freüller, who noted that in just ten months and twelve days had covered tuition and formed a list of seventy-four applicants for vacancies that arise.
The RO of June 22, 1851 marked the powers of the Academy in artistic matters, ordering ... no building, monument or public art, and is authorized to place on the walls of which already exist are running, or inside churches and chapels open for worship, even they are private property, statues, effigies, and bas-reliefs, without first submitting their designs to the Academy of Fine Arts ... a provision repealed and that we should not be remembered today as a tribute to good taste.
State concern for the proper functioning of the Academies evidenced by the RO July 7 this year, which states: ... that whenever an academic vary from home for more than six months, his vacant square conceptualize and expressly provided in another, leaving him with consideration supernumerary. The academic who for a year longer voluntarily attend meetings of the Corporation, is understood to have resigned from office.
In April 1854 the Bishop of Málaga granted to the president, academics, teachers and students using the platform of the church of Santo Cristo, for them and their families.
A few months later, alarmed by the Academy have come to auction the building of San Telmo, including the law of Confiscations, managed and obtained that RO of July 13, 1855 are excepted from the said building for sale.
On several occasions requested the Academy to raise its rating class and thereby increase the School's teaching, especially in art, creating your instances sections drawing of old, kind of color and composition, artistic anatomy, modeling and emptying, landscape and perspective, and a special section for ladies to impart artistic teachings. Branches were also installed in neighborhoods Perchel, Santo Domingo and grinder.
The June 5, 1879 was determined to be born only academic School teachers who had higher education. Under the direct supervision of the Academy, the teaching activities of the School of Fine Arts was very important in Málaga nineteenth century until after the decree of July 7, 1892, which separated the Provincial School of Fine Arts in their shall research, which resulted in the Academy ceased important task, therefore languishing in the years following the development of its corporate life.
By royal decree of November 28, 1880 the Ministry of Public Works granted the use of academic medal, according to the model adopted by royal decree of January 2, 1858 for Barcelona and Valladolid.
On August 7, 1882 was held a stormy meeting resigning academic gentlemen gentlemen Guillén Robles Rivera, Rucoba, Badger and Rodríguez, Martínez del Rincón and lords councilors Ávila Moreno Masson, to realize the president of the Royal Order in that academics warned to refrain from criticizing the president's work.
Another unpleasant incident took place at the meeting of October 27, 1890 between Chaplain Don Juan Nepomuceno de Ávila, provincial architect and painter Bernardo Ferrandiz. Hours after the attack occurred Mr. Avila said by fellow Academy. This event resulted in the separation of Mr. Ferrándiz as director of the School of Fine Arts and its status as a scholar.
AcademiaEl side of the September 25, 1883 View the Marquis of Paniega proposed that the Academy was renamed it San Telmo, the building which had its headquarters, located in a prominent place of the Constitution.
Bound to the Chamber of the Corporation on March 16, 1883, the young painter José Moreno Carbonero handed portrait of King Alfonso XII and Minister Seijas Lozano.
During these years it was thought to organize a Provincial Museum, steps that proved unsuccessful until well into the present century. Perhaps the first of acquisitions could take place on February 23, 1866, at the Academy bought two oil paintings depicting vases painter Murillo Bracho, in 4000 actual price.
The academic sculptor and Rafael Gutierrez de Leon delivered at the meeting of April 27, 1888 a bust of President, Mr. Freüller, and at the meeting of November 21, 1888 in Academy 750 pesetas acquire two frames offered by the widow painter Bernardo Ferrandiz.
In the last decade of the last century the City had met the tables in a dependence of their town hall, which were then installed in the Colegio de San Agustin. Almost all the pictures were of contemporary painters Malaga, and thus formed the Municipal Museum of painting, restorers whose gift] ose Ponce, Rafael Murillo Racing and Don José Ruiz Blasco, father of the great painter known today for his mother's maiden name Picasso.
In April 1901 the Marquis died Paniega, which since its founding occupied the presidency. After his death the Academy of Fine Arts of San Telmo entered a dormant phase, and no activity data that could then develop, during which he was president Rafael Aguado Romero preserved.
On December 5, 1910 he was appointed president Ramón Martín Gil, and on the same date were covered 20 vacancies, but academic life remained very low, although the years dating the pose the creation of a Museum of Fine Arts .
The Royal Decree of 24 July 1913 establishing the creation of Provincial Museums, gave rise to active efforts after the then President of the Academy Don Ricardo Gross, Marques de Casa Loring, and Secretary Mr. Murillo Carreras, finally got Málaga see satisfied as stale aspiration.
In 1915, by Royal Decree of 5 December, endorsed by Malaga Minister Rafael Andrade, was given to the corporation the title of first class with the label of Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Telmo, the rising number of scholars to 28.
The predominantly artistic character who had chaired its initiatives, took political paths, the percentage to be based on established academic professionals not met to the letter. This fact was then repeated at other times, bringing consequences and collapses as difficulties repeatedly put in danger of disappearing. For the Museum of Fine Arts painter Degrain Muñoz offered several of his works and other property, and with them, the tables retained the Academy and some other state, was inaugurated on August 17, 1916 the Provincial Museum in a rooms of a house of Cistercian street, corner of Pedro de Toledo, assigned for a small rental house in the Larios. Only then had to support a small grant and a policeman assigned by the municipality to act desk.
Academy and palmerasEn 1920 was sold this building to the Teresian Association, and the risk of running out of room for its installation, the Academy, at its meeting of 22 May, granted the request of the Museum Board for it to be installed on the own building of the Academy and in their classrooms, even if he had to sacrifice his own installation.
The January 30, 1922 was read at one of its meetings in the Royal Order of 23 December, expressing Real appreciation for the patriotic work of the Museum of Fine Arts in Malaga and major donations to the Fund of Muñoz painters Nogales Degrain and Sevilla.
In the meeting of 2 September 1926 was read the royal orders accepting the resignation of Chairman Don Ricardo Gross Orueta and instead appointing Don Fernando Guerrero Strachan. At the meeting of August 11, 1927 the Academy met and welcomed the appointment of its then President and Mayor of Málaga.
In session 25 June 1928 Academic Honor Don was appointed architect Antonio Palacios Ramila not only for his outstanding merits and his professional standing as a member of the Royal Academy of San Fernando, but as just and well-earned reward for the extraordinary interest he had shown towards this province and its historic monuments.
At the meeting of April 5, 1930 he realized the death of Mr. Guerrero Strachan and on April 25 for the vacant presidency appointment of Don Salvador González Anaya. For years it has not been possible to determine should they become president Don Diego Salcedo and Jose Estrada and Estrada, later Minister of Justice and Development, because from 1918 until February 1937, by the impact of the civil war, according history of our database, the records disappeared although the Secretary Don Antonio de Burgos Oms, using some drafts saved, could redo records certain dates. There are however some history from September 1933 to February 1939.
The May 14, 1931 the corporation was established in order to safeguard the special meeting remains were saved by works of art destroyed in the burning of churches in Málaga.
The January 23, 1940 realized declaration artistic monument palace of the Counts of Buenavista, in session November 10, 1945 the Academy met have been formalized contract that Palace to be assigned to Provincial Museum thereby achieving the old aspiration that Málaga will feature a museum installed decorum demanded its population.
At the meeting of February 5, 1955 was communicated to the Academy the death of its Chairman and distinguished novelist Don Salvador González Anaya, during his tenure at the Ministry managed funds that were extended frames with significant donations and deposits of the State. In December 1957 the pictures of the old San Telmo Museum were transferred to the castle of the Counts of Buenavista, new home of the Museum of Fine Arts and the Academy.
At the sitting of 30 July 1958 was read a communication from the Provincial Savings Bank of Málaga offering cover the costs that would cause the installation in the courtyard of the palace of Buenavista Roman mosaic discovered in a house in the neighboring town of cártama.
Ciriosamente a century earlier also appeared in the famous mosaic Cártama of the labors of Hercules, the Marquis de Casa-Loring moved to Hacienda La Conception, and on which was built the museum Loringiano, so influential in the creation of Don Manuel Rodriguez by Berlanga, analyzer and first translator of the Lex Flavia Malacitana, bronze containing part of the law of the Málaga municipality enacted to 82 aD, and now preserved in the National Archaeological Museum.
The Museum of Fine Arts was inaugurated on 28 April 1961 by the Head of State, Francisco Franco Bahamonde, with what looked definitely fulfilled the longstanding aspiration of the Academy of Fine Arts of San Telmo that Malaga were to have a worthy museum and in a suitable environment.
A few years later, on November 30, 1966, the painter Luis Hernández de Bono and Santaolalla proposed that the Academy award was granted in the III Winter Salon Picasso renamed it in memory of the 85th anniversary of the birth of the great painter and to organize an exhibition in our city with the pictures that the State had our glorious countryman, the Museum and private collections, in turn giving a lecture on his work.
At the sitting of 29 December 1967 the Academy knew the relationship works and objects received from the family Moreno Carbonero, which would be exposed in the living museum dedicated to the famous painter.
The October 29, 1971 Academy named Academic Honor Pablo Ruiz Picasso, and at the meeting held on 8 November showed his joy at the news of having approved the creation of the University of Málaga, one of the most coveted vintage and desires of our city.
On June 2, 1977 S. M. King Juan Carlos I approved the new Regulations of the Academy, which was composed of 34 academic number, divided into six sections: Painting, Architecture, Sculpture, Music, Poetry, and the sixth, which would integrate those without be professional Fine Arts, they had distinguished by his love for them.
The activities of the Academy were increasingly growing: requested and obtained a grant for the rehabilitation of the church and crypt Macharaviaya Gálvez, was named Academic Buxarrais that Mr. Bishop had given Bishop's Palace for the installation of a Diocesan Museum, Museum received donations for our oil paintings of Murillo Bracho, Leoncio Talavera, Sánchez Vázquez, Rafael Gonzalez Saenz and Jules Grau. Status reports Zamarrilla Chapel on the convent of Santo Domingo and the conservation and restoration of the church and convent of the Trinity and its use for cultural purposes were made requesting your tax Historic Artistic Monument.
Other initiatives included the acquisition of the birthplace of Salvador Rueda Benaque, approval of motions on urban aesthetics, affected by the proliferation of awnings, signs and advertisements on house building in the Plaza de la Merced, statement request Historic Artistic Monument Phoenician hipogeo Trayamar Archez and minaret. Efforts to rescue the Convent of the Trinity were intensified and requested that the State acquired the former home of Pedro de Mena Workshop on Afflicted street.
Among the donations received should be noted that due to the will of the late Don Antonio de la Huerta, consisting of a magnificent horse that belonged to the Great Captain, with his harness, saddle and trappings and a showcase art that presents, being installed the same in the session hall of the Academy, given the artistic and historical significance of the gift.
To commemorate the centenary of the painter Pablo Picasso, the Academy organized a photo exhibition of our great countryman, presented by Academician D. Juan Gyenes. The Academy was present at the First Congress of Andalusian Academies held in Granada in November 1979, with a statement by its President on the history of our Academy.