http://www.riponcivicsociety.org.uk/

4000691 0ee4ea4c 120x120
Borough Police Station This building served as the Town (Council) House (1835-1851) and the Borough Police Station (1875-1887). A rear extension housed four police cells and below these, with access from Duck Hill, was kept the Borough Fire Engine. The earlier Ripon Lock-up (1836-1876) was a cell below the pavement, still accessible from Duck Hill.

No.5a Kirkgate, Ripon, United Kingdom

4000706 49f700f4 120x120
An entrance to the Archbishop of York's palace in the Middle Ages, this ancient gateway was later used by coaches entering the Unicorn stableyard

Court Terrace, Ripon, United Kingdom

9138109256 945a22ea9f m
No 37 Market Place On this site once stood the home of Hugh Ripley, the last Wakeman (1604) and the first Mayor of Ripon (1605). In the 1730s the celebrated architect Sir William Chambers spent his boyhood here. It was the main Post Office from 1860 to 1906 and later for about 30 years it became the popular Lawrence Restaurant and Ballroom.

37 Market Place, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
4000667 c455a84b 120x120
The Rising of the North In November 1569, hundreds of rebels assembled in this Market Place with the aim of re-establishing Catholic worship in the North. They swiftly captured Barnard Castle on the River Tees and widely reinstated the Mass, but by January the rebellion had failed and great numbers had been hanged here and elsewhere as traitors.

?, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
4003469 1a3668d6 120x120
The Town Hall This building, housing public assembly and reading rooms, was designed by James Wyatt in 1798. The Corporation met here in the 19th century and in 1897 the Marquess of Ripon gave it to the City as the Town Hall.

Town Hall, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
The city club plaque
The City Club This was Jepson's Hospital, a "Bluecoat School" for poor boys of Ripon, endowed by Zacarias Jepson in 1672. The school, rebuilt in 1878, was closed in 1927 and the foundation changed to an educational trust.

?, Ripon, United Kingdom

4000665 729f5031 120x120
No.27 Market Place This building, whose frontage was rebuilt in replica in 1975, was an ancient burgae property (at one time the York Minster Inn and later the Victoria Cafe), from which the roof timbers in the adjacent passage have been preserved.

27 Market Place, Ripon, United Kingdom

Riponunicornhotelplaque
The Unicorn Hotel. This ancient coaching inn was much used for meetings and entertainments in Georgian times, and was later patronised by Edward VII when Prince of Wales. One landlord, Robert Collinson, was four times Mayor (1876-80).

Unicorn Hotel, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
Riponlibertycourthouseplaque
Ripon Liberty Courthouse From Anglo-Saxon times to 1888 Ripon had its own independent system for maintaining law and order, the Ripon Liberty. Its courthouse stood on this site, within the Archbishop of York's summer palace. This was replaced in 1830 by the present building which housed the Quarter and Petty Sessions and later the Magistrates Court. After this closed in 1998 the original building became a museum.

?, Ripon, United Kingdom

Riponolddeaneryplauqe
The Old Deanery Built in the early 17thC as the residence of the Dean of Ripon, on the site of the medieval Bedern of College of the Vicars Choral, this fine building was much altered in the 18th and 19thC, and ceased to be the Deanery in 1941. Sixty years on, it has been completely restored but modernised for commercial use.

Old Deanery, Ripon, United Kingdom

490545 bcf36113 120x120
St Agnes Lodge This late medieval manor house (with its raised cruck roof) was adapted to its present form in the late 17th century when the unusual round windows (possibly to reflect those of the Chapter House) were inserted and the rear wing was added.

St Agnes Lodge, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
2652724 23587898 120x120
Cabmen's Shelter This rare shelter by Boulton & Paul of Norwich was provided in 1911 through a legacy of £200 by Sarah Carter, a former Mayor's daughter, for use by cabmen waiting for fares in the Market Place. By 1982, when acquired by Cllr R Simpson and passed on to this Society, it was badly decayed and has twice since been extensively restored. In 1999 this Society gave it back to Ripon City Council.

Market Place, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
9135884761 e3b0a48706 m
The Old Courthouse A Church Courthouse in the Middle Ages, this building served in the 18th century as the Gaol for the Liberty of Ripon, and in the 19th century as a Debtors Prison.

Old Courthouse, Ripon, United Kingdom

Riponspamazeplaque
The Spa Park Maze The Maze was recreated in 2001 by The Rotary Club of Ripon Rowels, with a millstone at its centre. The design is based on the well-documented ancient turf maze on High Common which was destroyed about 1827 after Enclosure. In ancient times the Maze was called 'The Maiden's Bower' and was probably associated with fertility rites.

Park Street, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ripon Union Workhouse These impressive buildings were home to the poor and destitute of the city and surrounding parishes before the Welfare State. Replacing an earlier poor house, construction began in 1854 to the designs of Perkin and Backhouse of Leeds. Male and female paupers were separately housed within the main block. From the 1870s vagrants were accommodated in the gatehouse wings.

Allhallowgate, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
Ripon  med school plaque
Cathedral Hall. Here stood the medieval school which became the Free Grammar School of Queen Mary by charter in 1555 and was transferred to premises in Bishopton in 1874.

Cathedral Hall, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
Riponcelticmonasteryplaque
The Celtic Monastery. St Cuthbert was a monk at the Celtic monastery founded hereabouts by an Anglo-Saxon prince of Northumbria c.AD 660. When St Wilfrid became abbot a few years later he introduced the Roman tradition of worship and the Celtic monks departed. Ailey Hill, the wooded mound seen in the distance, became a monastic burial ground.

?, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
4000777 98c7787b 120x120
Theatre Royal. This wall is most of what remains of the 320-seat Theatre Royal, opened on 20th August 1792 by Samuel Butler's touring company, which included Edmund Kean among its actors. Another famous actor, George Bennett, was born nearby in 1800. The building, later a military riding school and a drill hall, was mostly destroyed by fire in 1918.

?, Ripon, United Kingdom

Subjects
Riponspabathsplaque
Ripon Spa Baths. Built to mark the tercentary of Ripon's 1604 Charter, this was the last English spa to be opened, by Princess Henry of Battenburg in 1905. Spa water was pumped four miles from Aldfield. In the 1930s a swimming pool was added. The elaborately tiled entrance hall still retains its (now dry) pump basin from which patrons would be served the waters.

Park Street, Ripon, United Kingdom

Riponprisonplaque
Prison and police station. This grim cell block was added to the House of Correction in 1816. It was designed by Thomas de Grey, 3rd Lord Grantham, of Newby Hall. From 1834 he was the first President of the Royal Institute of British Architects. The building served as a West Riding Constabulary Police Station from 1887 to 1958.

St Marygate, Ripon, United Kingdom

Treatyofriponplaque
The Treaty of Ripon. Near this site once stood Nunwick Prebend House where in October 1640, when Charles I had been ruling without a Parliament for 11 years, the Treaty of Ripon was signed. This Treaty, between the King and the Scottish Covenaters, resulted in calling the "Long Parliament", which substantially curtailed the powers of the English Monarchy.

?, Ripon, United Kingdom